Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th November 2015, 02:25
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Technophobic

Does anyone else here have problems with using new or different technology? For me it's quite an issue. Things like those self service machines in supermarkets or at the library to take out and return books really throw me.
I won't take a book out of the library because it is self service and I get anxious about doing it wrong and holding up anyone who is waiting.
Ditto the new photocopiers which seem much more advanced and complicated than the old ones . Despite there being instructions I just couldn't cope with using it and had to ask a librarian for help. I wonder if librarians get fed up if you always ask for help with something if you are only using the thing occasionally.
I was made to use the self service at the supermarket while seeing the rehab and recovery team because they didn't like queueing at the checkout. It was ok while with them but doing it on my own is a whole different kettle of fish. Like with the self service machine at the library I would be anxious about doing something wrong and someone having to come over thus irritating people by holding them up from checking out the stuff.
Old 10th November 2015, 02:45

Default Re: Technophobic

I've gotten a little better with self-service checkouts, but I still prefer to avoid them if possible. It feels a little backwards - shouldn't I like being able to pay for my shopping without speaking to anyone? But if I go through a proper checkout, I feel reassured that the cashier knows what they're doing and will deal with any mistakes or problems, whereas at a self-service till I worry that I'll mess something up, scan the same thing twice by accident, or there'll be some random error and I'll have to sheepishly ask for help.

I'd be very reluctant to use a photocopier or something similar in a library. Technology's fine if I can figure it out by myself in private, but the risk of looking like an idiot in public makes me not want to even bother.
Old 10th November 2015, 15:11

Mood
Gloomy

I hate those people who get all inpatient and bothered when someone is having a bit of trouble with a machine or whatever it maybe.
like it would kill them to wait another couple of minutes!

I used to hate the thought of causing people bother by making them wait while I struggled with an oyster card top-up machine or self-service checkout but I really couldn't care less now.
I'm using it so you wait until I'm done!
and if they're rolling their eyes or pouting then why can't they offer a bit of help if they know how to use it?

Not that this has happened to me though! and it probably hasn't happened to most of us either, just something we have in our heads.
but I just thought to myself one day - why should I let people potentially cause me all this stress?
bollocks to them!

Having said that, I do avoid self-service checkouts. Not because of fear of holding people up though, but because they're just sh.it!
9/10 people struggle with them, and it's rarely because of user error. always because the dopey scanners don't pick up the codes properly!
Old 10th November 2015, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
I've gotten a little better with self-service checkouts, but I still prefer to avoid them if possible. It feels a little backwards - shouldn't I like being able to pay for my shopping without speaking to anyone? But if I go through a proper checkout, I feel reassured that the cashier knows what they're doing and will deal with any mistakes or problems, whereas at a self-service till I worry that I'll mess something up, scan the same thing twice by accident, or there'll be some random error and I'll have to sheepishly ask for help.
There's nearly always someone stood around waiting to help if things go wrong, Luke. I see people cocking it up all the time.

I was initially very anxious about starting to use the self-checkouts, I'm always like that with anything new. I remember I was the same with cash dispensers. I always fear making a fool of myself by getting it wrong but I'm quite happy using them now. If it goes wrong (and it has done several times with checkouts) I just think "So what, it happens to everyone."