SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 20th November 2006, 19:45

Default Can you see in your head?

I was wondering just how many people can visualise things in their head and to what extent.

I realised through asking people it is not straight cut so I've got a series of questions following. I'm not going to do a poll because it would be good to hear peoples accounts if that ok.

Here goes

1. If someone asked you to imagine a tree are you able to do so?

2. If so what does imagine mean in this context?

3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child’s drawing, detailed)

4. Is seeing mages in you head something that comes easily, hard or in between?

5. Are you able to see the image when your eyes are open, closed, or both.

6. To what extent is images used in your thoughts.

7. If you are asked to think of somebody you know do you do you get a sense of recognition physically whether through imagery or not?

8. If you are asked to imagine yourself in a place do you have a sense of being there?

9. If you are able to use imagery very little or not at all how would you describe the process of imagining.

Any further details you'd like to add much appreciated.

Everybody that answers gets a free lolly:D
Old 20th November 2006, 21:42

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: Can you see in your head?

Yes
I can see a picture of a tree inside my head.
3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child’s drawing, detailed)
It is like a photograph, very clear in detail.
It comes easily to me.
Both
Images play a big part in my thoughts, I think in both words and pictures.
7. If you are asked to think of somebody you know do you do you get a sense of recognition physically whether through imagery or not?
I always imagine what someone looks like before I see them in real life.
8. If you are asked to imagine yourself in a place do you have a sense of being there?
Yes, I have a sense of being there, similar to a dream but not quite so vivid.
9. If you are able to use imagery very little or not at all how would you describe the process of imagining.
Not applicable

Mine's a strawberry Mivvi, thanks :D
Old 20th November 2006, 22:24

Here's my answers. I have nicked parts of Winnies answers cos they are relevant to me and I feel lazy tonight. My choice of free lolly is a lemonade Sparkler ice lolly.

Yes
I remember a tree that I have seen somewhere. I have a really nice postcard of a twisty tree in the Highlands. That is what I see
It is like a photograph, very clear, like a TV screen.
It comes easily to me.
Both
Images play a big part in my thoughts, I think in both pictures mainly.
I am not sure what this question means. What do you mean by a sense of recognition physically?
Yes, I have a sense of being there, similar to a dream but not quite so vivid. I am remembering being in the restaurant I was in last night, and it's almost like I am back there.
Not applicable
Old 20th November 2006, 22:28

Mood
Worried

Is this like a test to find out if we have photographic memory?
Weird.. I'd love to have that.. But it'd probably suck too 'cause you'd remember stuff you'd rather forget =-s
Old 20th November 2006, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
Is this like a test to find out if we have photographic memory?
Weird.. I'd love to have that.. But it'd probably suck too 'cause you'd remember stuff you'd rather forget =-s
Nope more about imaging skills. I will do mine later. I wanted to find out becuase I wanted to see if anyone is like me.
Old 20th November 2006, 22:41

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Nope more about imaging skills. I will do mine later. I wanted to find out becuase I wanted to see if anyone is like me.
Ok.
Yeah i'll do it later. Not right now though - bit upset =(.
Old 20th November 2006, 22:48

sorry to hear that shydollhave a lolly

Thank for answering Winnie and Firewoman you get a lolly

To clarify question 7

Are you able to recognise someone you know when you imagine them in your head not by character traits, etc but physically?

It is deliberately ambiguous for a reason.
Old 20th November 2006, 23:05
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:

I'm creating a picture of a tree in my mind.

Simple initially, but if I focus on it, it becomes more detailed.

Easily, generally.

Both.

Not totally sure, to be honest. A lot more than I am consciously aware of, I would think.

Yes.

Yes.
Old 20th November 2006, 23:14

1. If someone asked you to imagine a tree are you able to do so? yeah

2. If so what does imagine mean in this context? i can see it in my head, not just an image but some sense of it physically as well, how it would feel etc. i can change viewpoints and look at it close up, or it pick it out from a forest far away, stuff like that.

3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child’s drawing, detailed) like whatever style of image i wanted, as a childs drawing, detailed, photographic, as an oil painting, abstracted, whatever...

4. Is seeing mages in you head something that comes easily, hard or in between? depends what sort of image, usually easily

5. Are you able to see the image when your eyes are open, closed, or both. both

6. To what extent is images used in your thoughts. lots

7. If you are asked to think of somebody you know do you do you get a sense of recognition physically whether through imagery or not? yes, but its not like seeing a photograph of them. with most things i can see them clearly, but people are different. the more i get to know someone, the less distinct their image is in my head, although the sense of them as a physically recogniseable person is stronger. not that that makes any sense. its just that i dont see them visually anymore, i see them much clearer but in a different way that i cant explain. in my dreams, people become less and less visually distinct the more i get to know them, but more and more physically recogniseable.

8. If you are asked to imagine yourself in a place do you have a sense of being there? depends. when distracted or anxious i cant, because it requires me to pay less attention to current surroundings, and i cant if i feel i have to be vigilant.
Old 21st November 2006, 00:13

Mood
Lucky

1. If someone asked you to imagine a tree are you able to do so? Yes.

2. If so what does imagine mean in this context? I imagine the form of a tree, which is usually an English-type tree, an oak for instance.

3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child’s drawing, detailed) Very detailed, but hazy at the same time.

4. Is seeing images in you head something that comes easily, hard or in between? It's easy but it's hard. I'm trying to think of my mother now, because I know her face so well, but the mental image isn't perfect, it's pretty way off from the reality. but I can still 'see' her. It wavers. I just saw her pretty much perfectly. Weird.

5. Are you able to see the image when your eyes are open, closed, or both. It seems heavier when my eyes are shut, but at the same time it feels like I can delve deeper into the imagery when my eyes are shut.

6. To what extent is images used in your thoughts. A lot, especially colours and atmospheres, though emotions usually play the major role.

7. If you are asked to think of somebody you know do you do you get a sense of recognition physically whether through imagery or not? Yes, but not always. I can think of, say, Stephen Fry, for instance, get a 'perfect' mental image, yet I wouldn't be able to draw a picture of him, though I've done many portraits.

8. If you are asked to imagine yourself in a place do you have a sense of being there? Often, but the feeling is fleeting, or I tend to over-romanticise/over-negate sensations regarding those places, depending on how I felt at the time.

9. If you are able to use imagery very little or not at all how would you describe the process of imagining. Um...when it happens, everything feels 'devoid' and electronic, though I like electronic in the different context, and don't wish to be derogatory about electronic (because it's goood.)

Any further details you'd like to add much appreciated. Quite an abstract thread, Paul!

Everybody that answers gets a free lolly:D Can I have a Fab circa 1989/1990 (when they weren't anorexic) or a Cider lolly when it gets to next summer?
Old 21st November 2006, 09:28

It's all very private so seeing the imagery is quite dependant on whether I’m alone or not and less clear if asked to imagine something. It is however most vivid and intense when alone and highly anxious, sort of avoiding having to think about what I should be.

Mainly moving, realistic and very detailed with a god-like view of objects and scenery combined with sense of smell and excitement. Generally people are more blurred within this unless specific person but still more feeling than precise.

Also much of the detailed stuff is designed, constructed and continuously altered whilst retaining the original theme and feeling. There is a repetition of imagery that stimulates and an instant recall to produce the required feeling.
Old 21st November 2006, 15:40

Quote:

Yes

Using past knowledge of trees I can mix them up to be what the world tree means in a visual sense to me.

3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child***8217;s drawing, detailed)
All images in my head are real life looking but maybe different that is they would look like they were from a film real like butI may change details.

Very easy

Both

All the time

I can picture the person in my mind in full 3D and remember little things like how they smell or how they sound.

yes I can do especialy in meditation

Imagery is very easy for me a full sensory thing hearing, seeing, smelling somehting - I have always had a good imagination. But I can't describe it - it just is. Like when you read a book you don't just read words you see the scene played out like a film (but with all senses sound, touch etc.)

hope that makes sense!

Yey for free lolly - can I have strawberry?
Old 21st November 2006, 18:10

Thank you Occultus, Custardcreams, The Quiet Dan, Incommunicado, crimson~raven you each get you lolly of choice.

Bananaman there is no competition or right answer but if you have special imaging skills it is nice to hear about them.
Old 21st November 2006, 18:12
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Have you found anything of any particular interest yet, Paul?
Old 21st November 2006, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
Have you found anything of any particular interest yet, Paul?
It's all interesting Occultus:D
Old 21st November 2006, 23:25
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
It's all interesting Occultus:D
Indeed
Old 22nd November 2006, 13:45

Mood
Dreaming

Yes.

I can 'see' a tree in my mind, almost like a photograph in my mind. I am able to see it either as a still image or as a moving image.

It would look very much like a real tree. Although I could imagine a children's drawing if I wished to.

I find it very easy.

Eyes open or closed. Slightly easier with eyes closed.

I use images all the time. If I'm imagining talking to someone, or think back to when something happened. I use them all the time.

I don't really understand this question

In a way I suppose. I see everything around me. I can imagine sounds and atmosphere if I wish. It depends on how much I concentrate. Throught processes like meditation many people can 'feel' they're somewhere else.

Doesn't apply.

Hope that helps.
Old 22nd November 2006, 14:45

Yes.

Seeing an image of a tree in my head

3. If you are able to see an image in your head what sort of image would it be like? (i.e. child***8217;s drawing, detailed)
Alternates between not very detailed and extremely detailed.

Hard. I only get flashes of the image.

Both. Eyes closed is easier.

Not sure. Never really observed.

Yes but it fades quickly over a week or so. I have a very poor memory.

Slightly.

Don't know.

I think my imagination has been destroyed by SSRI's and weed

Hell yeah!
Old 22nd November 2006, 19:45

Thank you yaztromo and amberfires you both get a lolly
Old 23rd November 2006, 20:48

Mood
Dreaming

Yay!
Old 2nd December 2006, 15:28

sorry I've taken so long to reply:embarass:

Not really

I can't see things in my head when I'm not in deep sleep. I can't contemplate how people imagine. I sort know what a tree is, like a definition. I can also think about different sorts of trees, but it can get a bit ambiguous the more complicated the subject is. I tend to forget what something looks like but I have a sense of recognition. So part of me thinks I must be referencing images somehow but I don't actually see them. When I close my eyes I see black blotchy red.

-snip-

Sorry people didn't understand this question too well I guess it came from my point of view. I can’t get a sense of recognising someone in my head because I can’t see them. It is far to complex. I can take a while to recognise people I haven't seen for a while. I they have something particularly distinctive about them I might remember them better.

Nope. I feel like I'm here. I can think of other places again like a definition.

I'm not sure, it is very abstract. I do describe things more in words. But part of me things I’m referencing images somehow. I really want to be able to see things in my head.

I didn't realise until recently that people see things in their head. I didn't take 'imagine' literally. It turns out it is a really important part of memory, organisation, and achieving goals. I'm really hoping I can learn how to see things in my head.

I was really surprised most of you can see photo realistic pictures. I was expecting some to be less detailed. The only person who has diminished visual skills is yaztromo. It is interesting what he said about SSRI's and weed.

I read there are people with extraordinary visual skills and they are able to project images onto real objects in 3d space, like looking at someone and seeing their internal organs.

Thanks very much to everyone it has been a really help. I wouldn't know otherwise.

I have so many questions though:embarass:. Like when you imagine where is the image relative to you. Wouldn't it cause you to crash your car if you where driving? If people can see photo realistically why can't most draw these pictures really well?
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:49

for the sake of my own sanity i would like to say no, but unfortunatly i can
so lucky me
Closed Thread