SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th April 2013, 19:43

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

Hey guys and gals!

This is a great thread! I want some of your advice.....

I exercise in the mornings about 4 times a week, I've been doing it for a while now, and I'm getting bored of it. I was wondering, does sporadic exercise through out the day have any benefits vs "all at once" work out?

Like I said, I bit bored to death of having to have a pre workout meal, exercise, post workout meal, plus stretches n warm ups before n after a workout routine....

So I'm thinking about doing something like 20 squats and 10 push ups through out the day... Like (I know this is gonna sound weird), every time a go toilet I'll do 20 squats and 10 press ups after, and just before meal times, or anytime I head to the kitchen, or something like that... That way I could fit in over 100 press ups and 200squats through the course of a day.... I could never do all that in one exercise session. But I'm not sure if they has any benefits over doing exercise in an typical 1hr morning exercise session.

I'd also throw in some sit-ups and/pull ups here and there too.

What do you guys n gals think?
Old 26th April 2013, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko
Enrolled in a gym and started going on a regular basis even though it makes me super anxious (so I end up hiding on the cardio machines )

Any tips/recommendations for beginners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
Hey guys and gals!

I exercise in the mornings about 4 times a week, I've been doing it for a while now, and I'm getting bored of it. I was wondering, does sporadic exercise through out the day have any benefits vs "all at once" work out?

Like I said, I bit bored to death of having to have a pre workout meal, exercise, post workout meal, plus stretches n warm ups before n after a workout routine....

So I'm thinking about doing something like 20 squats and 10 push ups through out the day... Like (I know this is gonna sound weird), every time a go toilet I'll do 20 squats and 10 press ups after, and just before meal times, or anytime I head to the kitchen, or something like that... That way I could fit in over 100 press ups and 200squats through the course of a day.... I could never do all that in one exercise session. But I'm not sure if they has any benefits over doing exercise in an typical 1hr morning exercise session.

bump

Also I have a question for the fitness experts on here

Would you buy this cross trainer from argos at £249.99? that's around the maximum i would pay. Is a 5kg flywheel decent enough?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/3359105.htm

thanks in advance
Old 26th April 2013, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornflakeGirl
^ I think 'they' say 5kg minimum. I have this one, it's only £25 extra:

It's got a 9kg flywheel (which gives off a cannabis smell once used XD). Very quiet, too.
I never even noticed that one, I'm as well paying that wee bit extra for a 9kg wheel! how long do you go on it for per day may I ask?

thanks for helping oot "The Pusherman"
Old 26th April 2013, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smith
I have just been going for a quite long during the day and night that helps as well as cutting down on the junk food snack and try going to the gym once a week.

Curly Wurlys are good as you can get a 5 pack for a pound in Poundland and they are only 110 calories a bar and fill you up.
I have also been eating Soren loaf that says it is only 3% fat.
good for you JS

I'm really only using my exercise bike and (cross trainer when i get it) to fight anxiety and depression, keeping fit is an added bonus though.

I was lying in bed about maybe 4 or 5 months ago really suicidal, it was manic!! but i remember looking up and seeing my exercise bike and thought - it's this or death!!
I know that might sound mad, but that bike has saved my life!

you know that film with Tom Hanks when he sais something like "I don't know why, but i just kept on running" well that's what i felt and still do feel on that bike!
Old 26th April 2013, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornflakeGirl
Ha, no problem. I use it 4x a week for an hour, doing different exercise on the in-between days. It has optional preset programs, but I just put it on level 27 of 32 (hoping I can stick it on the toughest one soon, then I'll be cracking nuts with these thighs!).

you must be a wee tough nut

thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
Hey guys and gals!

I'd also throw in some sit-ups and/pull ups here and there too.

You will burn more calories...
Would stick to one session probably, you're not allowing yourself to recover otherwise. If you do them throughout the day, could maybe do 4 days 3 days off or something.

Why not add some weights?
Old 29th April 2013, 21:06

Mood
Lurking

Any suggestions for low calory recipes?
Old 30th April 2013, 13:41

Around lake which is were i often do speed work outs..

This morning I ran 40 minutes endurance felt very cranky, but know my legs will thaw out a bit, ..psychologically I always feel really miserable when I start out like this, especially when I know I have to do a speed work out..

But I get there, and managed to get my 2x 8 reps of 30/30's, that's 30 seconds fast then 30 seconds slower. After that I did a bit of abs and weights and stretching...I ran a 32K trail run Sunday, but pretty cool because I'm training for a long distance race so getting the balance between speed + volume +psychology of spending a long time on my feet with tired legs..
Old 7th May 2013, 17:34

Got back into my squats and deads after about 3/4 weeks off. Done a session of each in the past week. I wasn't able to do as many reps at the higher weights, and I was 5kg under my max, but that'll do. My lower back is aching a bit, though. I might have overdone it a tad :/.

Still, glad to be back in the game!
Old 8th May 2013, 19:23

My sister wants to lose over a stone in 5 weeks for her holiday, so I've been acting like some personal trainer - forcing her onto the rowing machine and making her do various exercises and weights. :D

Old 10th May 2013, 01:34

I feel I'm spamming this thread now, but this is big news. I bought the CoC No. 3 gripper. It should arrive in the morning. Only 150 in the world have been certified as having closed it. I think I stand a good chance, and when/if I do, I'll upload a vid.
Old 10th May 2013, 01:45

Mood
Sneaky

dude why the hell are you awake? xD
Old 10th May 2013, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
dude why the hell are you awake? xD

No work tomorrow. I had a half day anyway but I booked the morning off. xD
Old 10th May 2013, 01:48

Mood
Sneaky

niiiice

i should be in bed, but am not O_o

edit - i was looking up my old penis collection, remember my poll options? spicy penis, camouflage penis, emo penis, etc?

threaded amongst that you were saying something about me arguing with starrfin and him saying i had no cojones and a micropenis, dyou remember that? xD
Old 10th May 2013, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
niiiice

i should be in bed, but am not O_o
Indeed.

As should I, but I'm rather drunk... and restless.
Old 13th May 2013, 21:15
Banned

Mood
Scared

I started lifting weights around march... Just once a week to start off with, in the last month twice a
week..Im already started to notice some small gains and my body starting to change shape.

I tweaked a nerve in my back two weeks ago so I havent been to the gym in that time so Im doing Calisthenics at home.
I'm going to start working out 3 times a week soon. Do my push exercises and calisthenic on a monday and wednesday lower half, thursday upper body pull exercises at the gym then me weekly swim.

I'll be buff in no time. Im looking to make some serious gains in the next 4 weeks but I realise how important my diet will be for those gains to come through.

Im really gettin into this exercise milarkey
Old 14th May 2013, 15:44

So, 4 months in. My progress has stalled somewhat from not eating enough i think, but i've boosted my diet to nearly 4000 calories a day now and i'm starting on protein shakes today, so fingers crossed that kickstarts my weight and strength gains again.

Bodweight is 85kg/190lb, my squat is up to 55kg/120lb, my bench press is at 50kg/110lb, my seated military press is at 35kg/75lb and my deadlift is at 90kg/200lb. Not impressive by any stretch, but miles ahead of where i started.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:46

^ Good job, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I feel I'm spamming this thread now, but this is big news. I bought the CoC No. 3 gripper. It should arrive in the morning. Only 150 in the world have been certified as having closed it. I think I stand a good chance, and when/if I do, I'll upload a vid.
I can't close it. I'm only about an inch off of it but to close it that extra bit more will take months of training - if I ever do. It's insanely difficult.
Old 21st May 2013, 23:45

Mood
Breezy

^ Be interested to see either of you guys post a video of the CoC no3 if you manage it!

Did an impromptu PR today. Been 4 months since I started my 20 pull up quest. My max then was 10 and my best ever was 15 many years ago. I'd got down to 10 seconds rest of 4 set of 5 reps strict pullups and I've been stuck there for a few weeks so I was bored and just went for max reps instead.

I got 18 which I'm really happy about I think 20 is well within my grasp but I've decided I'm just going to move on to 1 arm chins next since that is my ultimate goal.

And I'm working on muscle ups as well. I don't think it will be too long before I get one but my home bar is too close to the ceiling and I bounced my head off the ceiling and then almost ko'd myself when my chin came crashing down on the bar! Just signed up to a gym so hopefully they'll have a bar with enough head room to attempt a proper one. I can do triple reps of front lever tuck rows already so I know I have the strength to pull the bar to my hips at least. The dip won't be too hard it's just that transition phase that looks tricky. I'll post a video if I get it.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:24
Banned

Mood
Scared

Workout day today..

Never in my life have I been so excited about exercising. Change is good.

Havnt been to the gym in a month because of my back. Doesnt seem to be getting better either, im getting concerned about it.

The exercises Im doing at home are going really well. Ive put on half a stone in a month and have shoulders for the first time, I dont want to 'have to' stop now ive got so much momentum.

I upped the ante to 3, 1 hour sessions last week, my legs and stomach have been neglected so far so next week I'll add that to my routine which will equal just 4 hours a week.

Plan for next week.

Monday -upper body push
Tuesday - Stomach
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Upper body pull. (Gym). Then swim.
Friday - Stomach
Saturday - Circuit training. (Gym)
Sunday - Eat like a pig. ((junk food day)

Ive been itching to do sit ups for a while but it affects my back so I might postpone it.
It looks like a lot but I'll only be working on certain muscle groups each day. Im actually doing very little. Less than 4 hours a week? Its nothing. It feels like the lazy mans guide to getting results. (Pareto's law) I feel like my change in diet has alot to do with my gains. A bump up in my daily calorie intake and protein has made the difference imo. Ive always struggled to put on weight, I never knew it could be so easy.

Pull exercises today at home.... Lets do this!
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
^ Be interested to see either of you guys post a video of the CoC no3 if you manage it!
Well, I'm getting closer, but it's insanely difficult. Dx I'll definitely upload a vid if/when I do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
I got 18 which I'm really happy about
Beast.

I can manage about 12/13 without weight, but I don't do them often enough to really progress.
Old 26th May 2013, 20:18
Banned

Mood
Scared

Im going to have to take a week off from lifting/calithenics. My back just isnt right and its concerning me. I only have to sit the wrong way and it starts hurting when I get up. The back of my rib cage hurts as as well.

This is not f**king cool. I wanted to get into kick boxing, bjj or krav maga, Im praying its nothing serious. :/
Old 26th May 2013, 21:13

What supplements do you all use?
Only ever took Whey and powdered oats. Thinking of spending a little extra and trying a few things out. Myprotein have BCAAs free with every order, may try Creatine as well, pretty cheap so why not.
Old 26th May 2013, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiJingsheng
What supplements do you all use?
Only ever took Whey and powdered oats. Thinking of spending a little extra and trying a few things out. Myprotein have BCAAs free with every order, may try Creatine as well, pretty cheap so why not.
I take whey aswell and make my own shakes with oats... I use Dextrose along with some whey as my post workout shake. Not yet tried BCAAs or creatine yet but definately going to get it as some say its a no brainer.

Do you take any vitamins? I take pure cod liver oil for joints etc vit c, vit d and a multi vit.
Old 26th May 2013, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I take whey aswell and make my own shakes with oats... I use Dextrose along with some whey as my post workout shake. Not yet tried BCAAs or creatine yet but definately going to get it as some say its a no brainer.

Do you take any vitamins? I take pure cod liver oil for joints etc vit c, vit d and a multi vit.
Usually take a multi-vitamin and Omega 3. Is it worth getting more than that?
Buying Dextrose, Creatine and L-Glutamine (cheap, so why not). Doing a lot more cardio now, longer workout sessions, so maybe they will help.

Always assumed I got enough BCAAs from protein shakes so was never really interested, quite expensive. For free, could always try them.
Old 27th May 2013, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiJingsheng
Usually take a multi-vitamin and Omega 3. Is it worth getting more than that? Buying Dextrose, Creatine and L-Glutamine (cheap, so why not). Doing a lot more cardio now, longer workout sessions, so maybe they will help.

Always assumed I got enough BCAAs from protein shakes so was never really interested, quite expensive. For free, could always try them.
Not sure to be honest. Perhaps Vitamin D as that gets mentioned a lot on BB forums.

Some BBs take umpteen supplements and some dont take much at all.

What are your goals? What sort of workout routine are you doing?
Old 27th May 2013, 21:11

Does anyone use a heart rate monitor?

Last time I went surfing I had an action cam strapped to my neck, and looking at the footage afterwards I can clearly hear my pulse pounding away, and from that I worked out that paddling out, my heart rate was between 150 and 160 beats a minute.

There are lots of different ways to work out maximun heart rate, but that rate of 160 bpm worked out to be around 80% of my maximun heart rate, it is important as at that rate you are only burning calories from about 15% fat or something, I only mention it as if you want to lose weight and burn off fat, you should be doing exercise at around 60-70% of maximun heart rate, in that zone the body burns calories from 85% fat.

I'm no expert but thought I'd mention it anyways.

Old 28th May 2013, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Not sure to be honest. Perhaps Vitamin D as that gets mentioned a lot on BB forums.

Some BBs take umpteen supplements and some dont take much at all.

What are your goals? What sort of workout routine are you doing?
Yeah, I've ordered that too. Quite cheap considering you only need to take one a day. Ordered Creatine, Whey, BCAAs (came free), Multi, Vit D, Omegas, Dextrose, L-Glutamine and Oats. Most of it works out pretty cheap so I'll see if I notice any difference...

Trying to get as lean as possible right now. Been working out on and off for a few years, built up some muscle but have never been 'ripped'. Routine right now is this...

Monday: Back/Biceps

Back Rows
Curls/Hammer Curls

Cardio: 5km (increasing jogging pace every week; do sprint intervals in between)

Tuesday: Cardio (5km jog)/Weight Sit-Ups

Wednesday: Shoulders

Overhead Press (dumbbells)
Lateral/Frontal raises
Shrugs

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Chest/Triceps

Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline
Arm Extensions

Cardio: 5km (increasing jogging pace every week; do sprint intervals in between)

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Legs

Dumbbell Squats (+ weighted backpack)

Currently losing around a 1lb a week, but lifts are still going up slightly each week, so it's going well so far.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:44

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Well, I'm getting closer, but it's insanely difficult. Dx I'll definitely upload a vid if/when I do it!

Beast.

I can manage about 12/13 without weight, but I don't do them often enough to really progress.
Ta had a go at one arm lockouts and I can barely hold my weight for even a second at the top. Got a lot of work. Weighted chins for a while.
Just looked at my CoC's and I thought I had a number 2 but it's just measly number 1 which is hard enough for me. The 3 must be ridiculous!
Old 28th May 2013, 12:00

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysurfy
Does anyone use a heart rate monitor?

Last time I went surfing I had an action cam strapped to my neck, and looking at the footage afterwards I can clearly hear my pulse pounding away, and from that I worked out that paddling out, my heart rate was between 150 and 160 beats a minute.

There are lots of different ways to work out maximun heart rate, but that rate of 160 bpm worked out to be around 80% of my maximun heart rate, it is important as at that rate you are only burning calories from about 15% fat or something, I only mention it as if you want to lose weight and burn off fat, you should be doing exercise at around 60-70% of maximun heart rate, in that zone the body burns calories from 85% fat.

I'm no expert but thought I'd mention it anyways.

I've used one in the past and recently got a new one so have been doing a lot of my conditioning workouts with it. Found that I'd been running too hard for aerobic base conditioning but too easy for any anaerobic conditioning. So I've been inadvertently running what's known as 'junk' miles for quite a long time (years!)

The Karvonen formula for calculating heart rate zones is a often seen as a little more useful than just using a percent of max heart rate. It's only a little more involved but I find it works well. You use your working heart rate range which is your maximum heart rate minus your resting heart rate. It's also known as your heart rate reserve.

It's supposedly more accurate because it takes into account that people have different resting heart rates dependent on age, training history and genetics. The zones are similar but you use the percent of your heart rate reserve (HRR). So Fat burning/Recovery 60-70% of HRR, Aerobic 70-80%, and Anaerobic Threshold 80-90%. To get your heart rate training zone numbers just then add your resting heart rate.

It's probably not necessary if you are only interested in burning calories but for anyone looking to get fitter a bit more scientifically it's very useful. I've managed to drop my 1 minute heart rate recovery from 20 bpm to over 30 bpm in just a few months by accurately training in my aerobic zone for 45 minute plus sessions. Plus I'm running a lot slower than I was before so my training is not only easier but more efficient. And I've had far less niggly joint pain as well