SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2013, 08:04

Default Killing time

Old 23rd February 2013, 09:51

Default Re: Killing time

I am in the same position. I would go into town and just browse around, but I can't hack the crowds. I would go for a walk in the country but feel way too self conscious when I cross paths with people and I'm walking on my own (without a dog).

That, plus this weekend it really is bloody FREEZING out there.

There are things I can do indoors to pass time (Internet, guitar, reading) but if you're looking to avoid time to think I would recommend you try and get out as at least you get some context outside your four walls.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:57

Mood
Sad

When i was younger and didn't have SA, at this time on a Saturday morning i prob still wasn't back in the house from Friday night, some of Saturday would be spent sleeping then normally chilling at night then out on Sunday for beers and pool. That was my plan when i was "normal"

Now if i have my daughter we go out and about, if i don't ill normally stay in. Though there are times when I'm out.

@LongerTrip BackHome - just take a dog lead and swing it as you walk, then it looks like your dog has been a monkey and run off.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:59

Pray to Mammon and go SHOP! That's what the rest of the world seem to do!
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:23

Ha, is that tip about the dog lead a joke or semi-serious? The only trouble is that sometimes dog walkers want to chat about each others' dogs. I would feel very awkward if they started asking me about mine!
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:32

Mood
Sad

Was being serious! If its something that will get you out and about then why not!?

Maybe counter there questions with a "Have you seen X dog" they will obviously say no as it doesn't exist then you can be back on your walk.
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:31

......But seriously, we all know that sitting around, ruminating, worrying and making ourselves feel miserable and lonely isn't going to help.
Personally I hate the time I waste on the internet, what was I doing with my time 15 years ago?(I'm a Luddite and refused to acknowledge the existence of it before then).
I know I have to walk through my front door and engage if anythings going to get better. I could sit here all day typing replies to everyone's threads, but I know it wouldn't have progressed my situation.
Everyone needs to take a courage pill and get proactive. In fact I'm off now, as soon as I've made myself a cup of tea and checked my emails and..............
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:13

Mood
Alienated

feels like i'm starting a monty pythons sketch but only 48hrs to kill your lucky i've got 168hrs to kill then i start again with another 168hrs to kill......... ah such is life
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:29

I'd definitely recommend going for a country walk when the weather warms up a bit. I've been going on country walks on my own and without a dog for years now and noone's at all bothered by my doglessness. I think I would be completely off my rocker by now if I didn't have my country walks- they really are my salvation. I don't know if this would help but maybe you could carry some binoculars so everyone would think you were out birdwatching- or would that make you even more self-conscious?
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:33

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda
I'd definitely recommend going for a country walk when the weather warms up a bit. I've been going on country walks on my own and without a dog for years now and noone's at all bothered by my doglessness. I think I would be completely off my rocker by now if I didn't have my country walks- they really are my salvation. I don't know if this would help but maybe you could carry some binoculars so everyone would think you were out birdwatching- or would that make you even more self-conscious?
You sound like me Belinda .

I like country walks and see them as my salvation. Even without a dog I am happy to go walking alone, it allows me to take in the nicer and more interesting elements of my local area, get exercise and clear my head, providing a temporary relief from socially anxious thoughts. There's a slight problem though - I normally have to stick to roads as I feel worried around dogs not on leads. This is due to the fact that, on country paths, some have run at me barking their heads off in the past and I'm worried what they're going to do to me. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but need to know in advance if they are friendly or not, and without a crystal ball...

In response to the OP, the only way I get through weekends where I'm not meeting up with anyone (which is most weekends ) is to plan the day before what to do, be it reading a book, watching football or films or doing housework, shopping etc, otherwise I'll just be lazy and start feeling negative. Of course I'd love to be doing social stuff most weekends, with just the odd weekend for catching up on housekeeping etc but my life is not like that. If I go into town shopping I feel terribly self conscious and end up abandoning it and coming home early. Taking refuge more like!