SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th March 2013, 11:08

Default Anyone tried Hypnotherapy?

Has anyone here tried Hypnotherapy?

If so, and it was a positive experience, can anyone recommend a reputable Hypnotherapist in London. There seems to be a multitude out there and I'd like a reputable one. I have a little insight into Hypnotherapists as I do a bit of work for someone who trained to be one. Having said that the training lasted just 1 week, after which she was entitled to set herself up as a practitioner and charge £90 per hour to try and help people stop smoking. She actually had people coming to her with repressed childhood memories of abuse etc. which she admits to have felt totally unqualified to deal with.

This and the fact that she totally admits that after a couple of years of listening to peoples problems, she became somewhat compassion fatigued, to the point where she stopped practicing altogether.
Old 6th March 2013, 23:52

Mood
Procrastinating

Default Re: Anyone tried Hypnotherapy?

Yes, I have had hypnotherapy a couple of times- one was part of a course to get over a phobia of snakes and another was in preparation for public speaking. It worked both times.

The problem with hypnotherapy is that it isn't an instant cure and it doesn't last- I'm still scared of snakes. However, straight after the hypnotherapy my phobia was much more bearable, I even touched a snake afterwards.

It was the same with public speaking, I managed to get through the speech in a much more calm, collected and confident way than I would have done had I not had the hypno- however, it didn't last past the event unfortunately.

Hypnotherapy is the kind of thing that you need to do on a regular basis in order to get any long term benefit.

It was also a positive experience whilst I was having the hypno done- very relaxing actually.