SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th December 2010, 03:34

Default National Union of Students, benefits ?

Has being an NUS member helped you in social or other ways ? (apart from discounts)
Old 30th December 2010, 10:55

Default Re: National Union of Students, benefits ?

Nope
I did once get a £2 discount on some jeans though, yay.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:25

Mood
Musical

They misprinted the date on my shu nus card so I got 2 extra years, apart from discounts I used the union library now and again
Old 30th December 2010, 22:42

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnet
Has being an NUS member helped you in social or other ways ? (apart from discounts)
20% off at Pizza Hut was about the best use i saw from the card

in total i did 4.5 years at uni and only bothered with the NUS card the 1st year as it seemed to be "the thing to do" turns out i used it about 3 times and never bothered again, i found id rather pay full price a couple more times than have my photo took

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I hope others here have found uni a life changing experience socially speaking and i'd like to hear how it is going but if they have...they probably no longer post as they are busy leading the life they have always wanted to?
well my University experience was different to the usual route as both places i attended were local so i never did the whole moving out process (it wasnt particularly out of choice it just seemed 1 of the best ones for what i wanted to do happened to be 2 miles away ) although i didnt do the full thing i experienced quite a few elements of it, i did join the society for our course so did the meetings and attended some of the events. I also was friends with a few guys who lived together and spent a hell of lot of my time at their house (mostly as i needed help but sometimes socially too) weekends of going nuts at a computer screen the 4 of them was renting a house just outside the campus and at 1 point was asked to move in but declined as i didnt feel comfortable with sharing a house with some mates it was also bloody cold!

I probably should have pushed myself and done it, but as i dropped out of that course the year after id have been back with my parents anyway. I thought that seemed the easier side of uni life, personally i found the going into uni worse buildings packed full of people and our lectures was in rooms with like 200 other people in. I was very uncomfortable taking notes while other people could see me, soo many people and then you hear people laughing and wonder if its at you , it felt like school but on a much larger scale. Despite rooms with 200 people in i was sat on my own for probably the first 6-7 months i guess this would have been avoided if id moved onto the campus but it did force me to open up a little when i finally did start talking to some people (or well they started talking to me)

Ah the 2nd university, not much of note, it wasnt on an actual campus it was near a college but in its own little building probably only 150ish people tops in the entire place so that wasnt too bad my class was 7 people That was easy enough, except the damn presentations but ive already strayed away from the topic enough

I'd say it changed me as im better than when i was in college and spent most of the day staring at the floor, but i reckon it would have changed me a lot more if id done the "full thing" which given the chance id perhaps like to, but as i already have a degree and a stack of debt i dont feel like any more!
Old 6th January 2011, 20:58

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I would know the area of the two universities i'm interested in but would have to commit at least 4 years which is a scary thought. I'd be living with people I know unless death happened and after experiencing halls (an ex was a halls tutor while doing their masters') for just two months i'd run a mile to avoid it again! Especially at my age.
I hate doing "walks of shame" past people so sitting in a room full of 200 students a couple of times a week sounds scary but its good for your SA..I guess.
I'm glad you found it a positive experience on the whole! Maybe you will win some money and be able to go back one day?! You never know..
hm yeah id prefer living with people i know instead of halls you confirm my suspicions , however all the houses my mates lived in during uni its like they have never heard of central heating...i dont know if it was a money issue or what but i dont enjoy sitting around playing games at 8-9pm in my coat

i dont know if i would go back if i had the choice to..., although it sounds like im younger than you i can appreciate that committing to 4 years+ does indeed sound very scary! it never bothered me at the time when starting the last course as i was 21 and felt still pretty much like a teen still. with 25 being 2 months away i feel old and find 4 years a much more daunting figure

I guess the experience would be different for everyone, your course may only be a small class as i say my 2nd uni there was barely more than 15 people in the room at any time and although the presentations made me nearly throw up before hand, 15 is a hell of a lot more appealing than 200 . From a social point i dont know which would be more useful i know the university scene has the whole "package" but im just thinking...if i had never done the uni thing in total id have had 6 years (2 at 1 uni, a gap - ie fail year and 3 at my next uni) in a work enviroment which could possibly have been better for my SA..who knows
Closed Thread