SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd January 2011, 17:33

Default Do you follow the off screen & stage lives of your favourite actor or band / singer ?

I've never been interested in what my favourite actor or band gets up to off stage or screen, am I weird ?
I know many actors and performers thrust themselves into the limelight with their causes, i've no interest in those either.

I'm always amused while reading the IMDB, the stuff people want to know. Are the gay, how did they get on with their co-star, etc, and that's not to mention the venomous posts.

And then a lot of them want to meet the actor. It's actually a bit sad reading about ancient Star Wars actors who have to make a living sitting in booths at conventions signing autographs, and god help them if they don't act exactly as demanded by the fan, the glee in tearing apart someone they once loved.

So do you want to know what your favourite actor gets up to in that club, or what cause they're involved in ? Or are you content to watch and love their make believe performance instead of the real and flawed person ?
Old 2nd January 2011, 17:42

Default Re: Do you follow the off screen & stage lives of your favourite actor or band / sing

No I don't really care much either, most of the time. When I was younger I did, as in when I was 10 - 14 and I was a big fan of certain people... At that age you look up to them and expect things of them. Now it doesn't matter so much.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:01

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Do you follow the off screen & stage lives of your favourite actor or band / sing

Nope don't care now - didn't as a teenager or in my 20s - used to feel totally out of sync with my peers.

EDIT - I have watched biopics of Michael Jackson. But I don't exactly follow it if that makes sense.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:19

I would probably find some biographies interesting and some general knowledge as I like crosswords and that sort of thing but generally no. I've never tended to idolise celebrities though I may like what they appear to be like or their music, acting.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:24

Mood
Dreaming

I like to find things out about Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson so sometimes I watch documentaries about them and have read books on them.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:28

^ I have a book about Marilyn Monroe too, by Donald Spoto I think, I read it when I was about 19/20. Not sure how accurate it was but it was interesting.
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:09

Mood
Lurking

When I was a lot younger I did used to follow Gary Numan and was interested in his off-stage life. I met him briefly on two occasions. I learned a few things back then. Such as these people are just ordinary people. They are nothing special, and if you think they are, chances are they will always disappoint you. These days I can appreciate a person's talent, but I don't follow them as people and don't care about what they do in their lives.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:51

Mood
Balanced

I was a huge Michael Jackson fan and had there been a twitter and him on it when I was still in my teens I'da avidly followed his every move.
Such as it was I had to suffice with biographies and sparse fansites.

But even now when I admire someone the least I will do is check 'em up on wikipedia. If they make that much more of an impression I hunt down the closest thing to their autobiography.

I figured quite along time ago that I did this in a search for a surrogate father figure; tho I still live at home with my real father!
Bios I got: Michael Jackson's, 2pac's, Jackie Chan's, Chaplin's, Spielberg's, Scorsese's, Stephen King's, Vladimir Nabokov's, Casanova's, Neil Strauss', Woody Allen's....

I don't think I've read a biography of a woman yet.
The most interesting parts are always what where they doing at my age, and how did they get to where they got.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:47

My mum used to buy me music biographies for Christmas and I didn't have the heart to tell her that I often find musicians to be incredibly boring people. They don't really have great insight or much to say, and I'm not interested in hearing about their shenanigans on tour. In the end, I got my sister to tell her..
Old 4th January 2011, 21:41
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I try not to be too interested in the private lives of celebs as everyone is either an alcoholic or a drug addict, often both.

Comedians are the worst to read biographies of, because it's always presented as the 'sad clown' story, 'behind the laughter' type of thing.

I remember watching the Arena series on Peter Sellers at very young age- what a screwedup individual he was. That set the tone of every celebrity profile I've watched or read since.
Old 5th January 2011, 13:07

i only really follow tobey maguire like what new films he's working on. i'm not fanatical about it or anything.
Old 7th January 2011, 11:25

Mood
Tired

I am always interested to know what bon jovi are upto (yeh, prob bit sad n freaky! lol)
And i watch some documentaries on certain people i find interesting, havent picked up a good auto biography yet tho.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:37

Mood
Chatty

Cool Re: Do you follow the off screen & stage lives of your favourite actor or band / sing

Nope. I've never really got the whole 'hero worship' thing re: say musicians, for example. Ok, maybe once or twice in the past, but not much these days. I think it was John Lydon (Rotten) who said when it comes down to it, your just going to be let down when you find your idols arent like you thought they would be.
Closed Thread