SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th January 2011, 20:14

Mood
Sleepy

Default Online shopping at Asda - is it scary?

I've just placed an order at Asda. First time. When I realised it is only £2 to deliver it I thought that's cheaper than me driving there. It's 13 miles away x 20p per mile approx for petrol x 2 journeys.

The reason for the post - what does it actually entail when they arrive at my flat (on the first floor)? Do they come into the flat and I check each individual item while they are here or do they just dump a few cardboard boxes and get me to sign for them. I hate having anybody inside my flat unless I know them.

What are they like for filling the order? Are there many substitute items?
Old 5th January 2011, 20:19

Default Re: Online shopping at Asda - is it scary?

When i've ordered it's brought in carrier bags and they just dump it where you want it. Then they ask you to sign something and that's that.
Old 5th January 2011, 20:43

Mood
Dead

I use online for grocery quite often. It's not scary but I understand having never done it you'll be apprehensive. The delivery guys we've had have always been very pleasant.

They don't come into your house, just to the door. Although if you asked them to carry the stuff into the kitchen or wherever they probably would.

They usually have the carrier bags in a tray and they pass them to you.

If you said yes to substitutes and there are substitutes they will usually be in a different coloured bag and you'll be asked whether to accept or reject them. There may also be a bag of short life items (which go out of date that day or the day after) and again you'll be asked to accept or reject them.

You then sign something and are given your receipt.

Regarding fulfilling the entire order, it really depends what store it's being delivered from. Obviously some stores are a lot bigger than others (such as the ones outside major cities) and the likelihood of not having something in stock are slim.

My mum does her BIG weekly shop from a grocery store which delivers from one of their Central London stores, which is fairly small and there's always several items which weren't in stock. But then she just gets the stuff locally.

I live near a massive grocery store where my deliveries come from and have never had an item out of stock.
Old 5th January 2011, 20:51

Mood
Sleepy

Thanks everyone. A bit reassuring.

The annoying thing is, after weighing myself at my parents house yesterday when there was a large family get-together, I decided I'll walk to the shop for my shopping more often rather than get it when driving home.

And what's the first thing I do - sign up for online grocery shopping.

EDIT : I weigh twice what one of my nephews weighs - and he's 23. At least according to my mother's scales. I was 1½ stone lighter on my own scales.
Old 5th January 2011, 20:57

Mood
Creative

I do this all the time with asda, knock on the door, hands you the bags, you sign and they bugger off, takes about a minute.

I hate supermarket shopping so do a big veg and fruit order. Get my meat from the butchers
Old 5th January 2011, 21:55

Mood
Sleepy

I actually used to enjoy going to Asda. Browsing through all the aisles I ended up spending a lot more than I intended. This time I've spend £27.73. No impulse buying. And the good thing is the next time my shopiing list will be there for me just to amend the quantities.
Old 6th January 2011, 05:21

Is that £2 delivery charge the standard or something specific to an area/time? I hate getting on the bus with a week's shopping, but I balked when I saw Tesco wanting a fiver or more to deliver.

My mind always goes blank when I do my shopping, especially if I'm not feeling hungry at the time, absolutely nothing looks appetising. The simple answer to that would be to make a list, but even then, I'll look at the things I wrote down, think 'bleugh, what was I thinking?' and pick out the most bland, inoffensive things possible.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasie
I actually used to enjoy going to Asda.
Same, going to the supermarket once a week is one of the few reasons I have to leave the house and get out, and I sort of look forward to it
I only used the delivery service once when I broke my foot, and the guy was excellent...he carried all my shopping up two flights of stairs and into the kitchen for me and was cheery and pleasant
Old 6th January 2011, 11:00

Mood
Sleepy

The £2 charge is because I accept an 8 hour window of when they will deliver. From 10am to 6pm this Saturday I chose because I know I will be in then. You can also have a 2 hour window but it is dearer. There is a grid where you can see the different prices for each type of window (8hr/2hr) each day. I was put off by the £5 charge - I wasn't aware it was only £2. Even at £5 it works out cheaper than me driving there.

I can go back and change my order up until a certain time.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:04

Mood
Mellow

I've only once ordered on line from the milkman winter 2009 when the weather was bad - but this thread has just inspired me to register with Asda and Sainsbury's as I don't drive and sometime lugging huge packs of loo rolls and coke bottles is right pain in the bum!

Haven't done my first order yet - will have a look now.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:20

Mood
Inspired

I've used tesco online for a year. It's good shopping online but i do often forget things i could have had, and always spend a lot on not much, usually on alcohol.
I use it mainly because it's heavy for cat food and cat litter in bulk.
Sometimes they do substitute things but what they give you is usually broadly similar.
I've got a delivery coming today.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:38

With tesco they drop the crates full of shopping bags at your front door, you carry them in and they carry on bringing more until its all done. I presume ASDA is the same.
Old 6th January 2011, 18:22

Mood
Pensive

I might do another ASDA online order. It's quite good but ASDA isn't my favourite supermarket.
Old 8th January 2011, 14:49

Mood
Sleepy

3 hours and 10 minutes left for them to arrive with my order.
Old 8th January 2011, 15:32

Have they been yet?
Old 8th January 2011, 15:47

Mood
Sleepy

No.
2 hours 10 minutes left.
Old 8th January 2011, 15:50

What happens if they are late like by an hour or so? Do you get some refund then?
Old 8th January 2011, 16:42

Mood
Sleepy

Oh ye of little faith.
Arrived in plenty of time. Haven't checked the items yet - but it weighs a hell of a lot less than if I'd gone to their store.

He even asked if I had any old carrier bags I wanted taking away (not just Asda ones). I keep them for my rubbish, though funnily enough, not the Asda ones as they are too small.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:13

Nice one, Peasie. Did they leave it at your doorstep or bring it in/up to your place? Always thought being a delivery driver for a supermarket might be a nice job as it's not too stressful and would give some social contact without being too much for too long (and would be an excuse to buy that satnav I've been after). I'm not a confident driver though and wouldn't feel happy having to reverse a long van. Nice that they offer to take carrier bags away.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:30

Mood
Sleepy

I was at my bedroom window looking down onto the road below and saw the van driver right by. He then must have realised he'd passed it as he broke sharply and reversed.

It doesn't help that the number on the door has been painted over as the same colour as the door and the bottom half of the "9" had snapped off so it actually looks as "10" rather than "19".....so when he got to 21 he noticed.

He said there were no substitutions but there were a couple. I wanted a pack of 10 pens. 3 were red, 3 were blue and 4 were black but they sent a pack of 10 black pens. The 10 pack I wanted cost 24p, the one sent should haven been £1 (I got it for 24p). It was really just the red pens I was after. They also got the ragu wrong. No big deal though.

I've just eaten 12 bags of crisps and will probably eat the other pack of 12 bags later.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasie

I've just eaten 12 bags of crisps and will probably eat the other pack of 12 bags later.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
This from the man who did 8 fecking sausages?

My old mate used to buy the boxes from Aldi with 36 bags in and he'd do the lot in one weekend.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusty
This from the man who did 8 fecking sausages?

My old mate used to buy the boxes from Aldi with 36 bags in and he'd do the lot in one weekend.
you might have a point there frusty
Old 8th January 2011, 19:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
you might have a point there frusty
I've followed your eating habits closely and my god you can shift some grub, big boy.

What did you have with those sausages?

I had another mate, Chris who was 6'4 and he'd think nothing of eating 10 bags of space invaders for a light snack.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:42
Banned

Quote:
I've followed your eating habits closely and my god you can shift some grub, big boy.

What did you have with those sausages?

I had another mate, Chris who was 6'4 and he'd think nothing of eating 10 bags of space invaders for a light snack.
yeah i guess i do eat a lot i just wouldn't sit and eat 10 bags of crisps, i think the eight sausages went with 2 fried eggs a tin of beans, mushrooms and a frying pan full of sauteed potatoes.

maybe that's why all my ex's have gained weight while they've been with me.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:49
Banned

Thought you might have had a loaf of fried bread with that mate and a bottle of sauce.
Old 8th January 2011, 19:52
Banned

can't stand fried bread
Old 8th January 2011, 20:47

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
The bags from Asda only contain 18g. I bet those in the boxes contained a lot more.

What does a normal bag of crisps weigh?

Incidentally, I'm now up to 15 bags.

I'm now about to have some pasta bake. According to the label it serves four. Unfortunately, I don't have three other people to share it with so I don't want any going to waste.

Closed Thread