Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th January 2011, 22:45

Mood
Alienated

Default Popular stuff you DO get?

What about things that are hugely popular that you DO like, the times when the masses get it right? For me, these would include:

The Beatles. Almost everyone I know hates them because they were so popular and has them pegged as the Sixties equivalent of Take That. No. They were great. Fab in fact.

Morecombe and Wise Just really funny, clever and charming They can be appreciated by all ages too. I guess that something like "The Simpsons" would be the closest to a modern equivalent.

The Lord of the Rings I'm talking about the book mainly here but include the films if you like. Ive read it several times. Filled with wonder and a real sense of place and history that most fantasies don't have. Plus, it really annoys snobby intellectuals that it's so popular so what more justification do you need?

Halo (various games) Japanese games are always more "hip" than western ones but I prefer depth of gameplay over endless convoluted cut scenes. Crank up the difficulty and you really need to use strategy. Plus loads of stuff gets blowed up real good.
Old 7th January 2011, 22:56

Mood
Blah

Default Re: Popular stuff you DO get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant
The Lord of the Rings I'm talking about the book mainly here but include the films if you like. Ive read it several times. Filled with wonder and a real sense of place and history that most fantasies don't have. Plus, it really annoys snobby intellectuals that it's so popular so what more justification do you need?
Definately agree with you on this point. I got the full set of 5 the christmas the first film came out and had read the first 2 by boxing day. Definately a fantastic series. The exception beingthe Silmarillion which I found impossible to get into and Ive never met anyone who actually finished it. And I know many who tried.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:24

Mood
Fine

Sunday dinner. Yum.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:34

Mood
Doubtful

Friends, Eastenders
Jane Austen
ipods
Cillit Bang
Jane Norman
Old 8th January 2011, 12:11
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

iPhones/iPods/iPads
Old 8th January 2011, 12:19

The Beatles for sure!

TV series: 24, Lost, Star Trek

Apple iPhone and their other products.
Old 8th January 2011, 12:19

Mood
Tired

Seinfeld - not so much in this country, but in the USA it's often named as the greatest TV series of all time, which it is.
Old 8th January 2011, 12:43

Seinfeld, Morecambe + Wise and crisps would be on my list.
Family Guy
BBC news channel
Breakfast TV (RIP GMTV, you are sadly missed)
Tea, coffee
Shopping channels (well some) I never tire of demonstrations of pressure washers and £450 liquidizers. :D
British comedians like Danny Boyle, Jack Dee and Jimmy Car

Also, I'll stick my neck out and say Top Gear. Not every aspect of it mind -- tyre smoking, pointless destruction, and some of the disrespect to others is not my bag. Also I don't find Clarkson funny when he's on his own. But it's difficult to overstate the influence it has had on television across the world. A totally fresh formula with new concepts, beautiful filming, innovative and hilarious editing. Perhaps the most revolutionary thing to come out of it is idea that three middle aged blokes can still have fun in modern britain. Quite liberating really.
Old 8th January 2011, 13:53

I agree about Top Gear, it's suprisingly entertaining for a magazine show because the presenters are just being themselves. Who doesn't want to see a caravan blown up or cars made into make-shift boats?

Also agree with the BBC News Channel. A good cuppa and soaps I kind of get although Corrie can be daft and Eastenders a bit grim but they all can be addictive when they hit a good story line.

I don't really get Morcambe & Wise, Ernie especially was unremarkable, I think The Two Ronnies had more zing but no-one did sketches quite as grand as M & W.

I get pop music too, it's mainstream for a reason. Even the most discerning ear can't deny the top ten are the catchiest at any given time.
Old 8th January 2011, 13:57

Mood
Mellow

murder mysteries and other thrillers like The Da Vinci Code.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:38

Put me down for these, please:

Football (to some extent)
Alcoholic drinks
Tea, coffee
Top Gear

I liked the Lord of the Rings films, but the books made me want to go to sleep. It's a long time since I tried to read them, though, so I might manage it better now.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:44
Banned

the films are pretty long, i almost pissed myself in the cinema waiting for it to finish so i could visit the toilet without missing any

are the books like that too?
Old 8th January 2011, 22:16

You mean, are the books long? Uh... yes. Yes they are.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:18

Mood
Spaced

The X factor - I don't think it's any worse than what went on behind the scenes before shows like this started, and there's probably actually less discrimination going on with regards to looks & age. It's also just nice to listen to people with good voices singing live, you don't see it that much these days.
I agree about pop music in general too, I used to be an angry teenage 'alternative' who thought it was destroying the world but now I quite like it
Old 8th January 2011, 23:24

I am a new convert to Top Gear, I really like it! (we don't have t.v. but I watch it on the iplayer I never thought I would particularly like it but I do)
Doctor Who
EastEnders
Closed Thread