SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd March 2019, 14:11

Default Does anyone dislike going on holiday?

By that, I mean travelling to a different location (either in your own country or abroad) and spending time there during the summer holidays, etc.

I seem to have disliked going on holiday for most of my life, even when I was very little. I'm currently 28, and I haven't been abroad since I was 16. During the majority of my previous holidays, I would be bored out of my skull whenever we went to visit places like tourist attractions and landmarks, although I did enjoy beaches and swimming pools, etc. On numerous occasions, I would just want to stay in the holiday accommodation and play on my Game Boy or watch the TV (if there was one), rather than go sightseeing, which annoyed the heck out of my parents.

I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't go on holiday at least once a year. A few people have tried encouraging me to take a long weekend in a different part of Scotland as part of annual leave, or said things like, "There's a big, open world out there!" Needless to say, I ignored them.

I might change once I've moved in with my long-distance girlfriend, though. Perhaps I'd enjoy going on holiday if I was with her.
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:50

Default Re: Does anyone dislike going on holiday?

The last time I went on holiday was over ten years ago, and that was just a week in Skeggy. Must have been another ten years before that since my last-last one, and that was... just down the road from Skeggy.

Holidays don't appeal to me at all. I think, aside from the anxiety and that, it's the idea of a designated period where I must have fun and feel good for a solid week (or more) otherwise I've wasted my money and been left with Crap Holiday memories. I could have an all-inclusive fortnight in Christina Hendricks's bed and not be able to keep up a good mood for long (Day Three: Really wishing I'd brought my Nintendo Switch)
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:00

Mood
Cynical

Yes. Well, it's not so much that I don't like it but more that I can't enjoy it because everything, including the travelling, is so stressful for me. It would take me atleast a few days to recover from any kind of travelling and then it would be almost time to do it again to get home again! I can't do the things that people usually want to do on holidays like go out for meals and that just makes me feel bad for not enjoying things that are supposed to be enjoyable. So holidays are a no for me.
Old 2nd March 2019, 15:54

I don't get stressed out about travel that much these days as I've already seen a lot of different parts of the world, but I don't think I really enjoy it any more. Though that's possibly because I don't enjoy anything these days. It just gives me too much time to think though, and I just feel empty, lonely and miserable to a degree that even nice scenery and weather can't get rid of.
I really hate being me at the moment.
Old 2nd March 2019, 17:21

Another issue for me is needing to be fully clothed, regardless of the weather, because of scars. And on top of that, I'm all fussy about my body shape so I can't really even just wear a thin top, I need some sort of loose jacket on for the disguising of moobs and general Elephant Man-ness. I'd die if I went anywhere hotter than an average British summer, I'd literally die.
Old 2nd March 2019, 17:24

Mood
Cynical

^ Same for me, I can only just cope in summer in the UK! The idea of a bikini is absolutely alien to me.
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:28

Mood
Alienated

Dunno I've only really had a couple of holidays as an adult

I didn't do much more than float in the pool/be hammering the all inclusive free booze by 9am

I'd like the idea of laying there, perhaps with my nintendo switch or something with an endless supply of cocktails, not sure on the reality of it..I'd prob get bored and nod off then sulk I've wasted my holiday asleep
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:43

Last 2 holidays abroad I went on were boring and highlighted to me how socially inept I can be, they weren't really worth all the stress of getting there. If I had a group of friends or a partner to go with it might be more appealing. For now I'm more interested in UK trips although I still can't be arsed to put any plans into action.
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:55

I have to admit that I do love travelling, although I don't really think of it as having holidays; I like to be active and explore wherever I'm visiting, ideally out at first light and returning at sunset. I had 25 years of my life when, for various reasons, I didn't own a passport and never left the UK, but since I've started travelling again, I've become a bit of an addict! I'm writing this as I head down to London to catch a flight to Thailand (also heading to Cambodia & Vietnam with a stop-over in China).

About a month ago, I experienced my first-ever package tour (all-inclusive to Tunisia) and can't say that sort of break is really my thing - my partner and I aren't big drinkers (we did go mad and have three drinks one evening!) and we spent a few days out on excursions, so all-inclusive is wasted on us!

I've also developed an aversion to travelling in groups, since I seem to spend too much time hanging around instead of seeing and experiencing things. I do love travelling alone but even better is when I'm with my partner and we're making shared memories. Despite all that, I'm not altogether sure that I enjoy the trip whilst I'm there (as I'm usually too focussed on fitting everything in) as much as I enjoy looking back on it afterwards.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:11

I feel like I should do more 'real' travelling, as in, experience more of the places that I visit. Thing is, for me I know I'd get all anxious with "am I gonna get carsick on the excursion tour, what if the food's crap and I upchuck all over the place, what if I drown" lol.. I also feel like a plum being a total inept with regards languages.

Thing is, Mrs and my 13 year old are happy enough sitting around the pool listening to music etc so we've been lazy with All Inclusive the last few years as it's suited all of us. The other advantage is that you don't need to worry too much about keeping money aside as it's already paid for.

I do make sure I do something when I'm away, eg boat trip or off road buggies etc. But I tend to feel grateful I'm alive at the end of them.. I really do need to give myself a kick up the arse.
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
I like to be active and explore wherever I'm visiting, ideally out at first light and returning at sunset
Got so much respect for you on that GI..
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:43

Quote:
I have to admit that I do love travelling, although I don't really think of it as having holidays; I like to be active and explore wherever I'm visiting, ideally out at first light and returning at sunset. I had 25 years of my life when, for various reasons, I didn't own a passport and never left the UK, but since I've started travelling again, I've become a bit of an addict! I'm writing this as I head down to London to catch a flight to Thailand (also heading to Cambodia & Vietnam with a stop-over in China).
Have a great time!
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:45

^ I don't think it deserves any respect, it's a personal preference - I'm not someone who's good at staying still and I enjoy history, architecture, culture etc. Spider, on the other hand, mentioned being bored when visiting places of interest but enjoying beaches - we're all different!

I think everyone has to arrive at their own concept of a "holiday", without preconceptions based on ideas of what one is supposed to do; if your idea of a holiday is spending two weeks binge-watching box seats from the comfort of your own sofa whilst having food delivered three times a day, what's wrong with that? The Barmy Army spends inordinate amounts of time and money travelling the world to watch England playing cricket. Whether it's a stay-cation, an adrenaline-fuelled adventure, a round-the-world trip, a week in Skeg or whatever, the important thing is to do whatever helps us unwind, to escape our responsibilities and the mundane, to recharge our batteries. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as it helps to release your personal pressure valve.

Old 3rd March 2019, 01:41

^ I get stressed too, Change; my partner says that I become calmer once I'm through security! I can't take any credit for the budget element of this particular adventure though, it was organised by a lady on my meetup group (the travel one) who used to live in Thailand and visits that part of the world at least once a year. The flights are £284 return and thanks to her local knowledge, we'll be spending around £5 per night on accommodation and travelling between destinations on buses costing less than £10.

You (or anyone else interested) are always welcome to pick my brain on cheap deals, but I find the Holiday Pirates app invaluable - it drops 3-4 bargains (flights, hotels, packages etc.) into my WhatsApp daily - the most recent of which I took advantage was a week all-inclusive in Tunisia for £157pp.

Old 4th March 2019, 10:25

Mood
Tired

I find travelling very stressful,
I probably wouldn't have done any of it if it wasn't for my g/f

I get stressed trying to find suitable locations,
I get stressed trying to find suitable accommodation,
I get stressed travelling there,
I get stressed living there,
and I sometimes get stressed coming back,. but mostly it's a relief to get back home,

I've always been this way, so tend to just grit my teeth and get on with it.

there are some really good moments when you can enjoy being abroad, or travelling far but they seem to be sandwiched between lots of stress,
but I guess if there's one thing I'm used to by now, it's being stressed.
Old 7th March 2019, 11:25

Mood
Tired

Quote:
I'm writing this as I head down to London to catch a flight to Thailand (also heading to Cambodia & Vietnam with a stop-over in China).
that's good going if your not working due to stress anxiety etc. and living off benefits,
I guess British Peace was not far off the mark with his "long-term unemployed a loving it" thread.
Old 7th March 2019, 13:03

I like it, I like the anonymity, knowing you'll never see anyone again, bit different from down here! I just loved going to Italy this year. Pompeii was so quiet, Ostia Antica was dead. Only thing I didn't like were all the immigrants hassling you at tourist places, grabbing hold of women and men and generally being aggressive. Aside from that yeah experiencing another culture and getting lost in it and travelling about the country was just great. Only thing I hated was the return. I wish i'd stayed there.
Old 7th March 2019, 16:11

Mood
Fine

I get very stressed a day or so before I leave, but once Ime on my way Ime usually fine.

Personally Id go barmy if I didnt get away somewhere occasionally (although I havent been abroad in nearly 10 years, and its just other parts of the UK I go to).

Everyone is different though, I know people who never (by choice) go anywhere at all.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
that's good going if your not working due to stress anxiety etc. and living off benefits,

I guess British Peace was not far off the mark with his "long-term unemployed a loving it" thread.
I know it may seem extravagant, but I got a great price on the flights and these are, by UK standards, extremely cheap countries; for example, I'm currently in an air-conditioned double en-suite room in Phnom Penh which is costing $6 per night. Meals are costing the equivalent of £1-2, beer is 50 cents and as a smoker, I'm appreciating cigarettes at 40p per packet. Meanwhile, I'm saving on utility bills back home.

Now that I'm halfway through the trip and have booked all my buses, trains, internal flights and accommodation, I can be fairly confident in saying that the trip will, in total, cost less than some people spend on a week in Benidorm (I know a group who are going in May, each of whom is paying more than my trip will cost - on a full board basis, not even all inclusive) or the cost of two weeks in a relatively inexpensive UK hotel, for instance. I know the way I travel doesn't suit everyone, but the savings I make (compared to package tours) allow me to do things I couldn't otherwise afford - in fact, I saw a trip with a similar itinerary to mine (but condensed into two weeks instead of three) advertised on Travelzoo at twice the cost, with other, similar trips being even more expensive.

I do consider myself fortunate that I'm able to do the things I do, but I have to budget well in order to do them. Of course (although this is off-topic for this thread), I do sympathise with those who work hard and don't have my disposable income, but that has more to do with the living wage (although there is also the question of what employers can pay whilst remaining competitive - there are no simple answers) than a benefits system which, if one can jump through the hoops in the right way, gives the disabled a reasonable standard of living.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk