SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th November 2015, 19:02
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default 100 years old and making a comeback – Freud’s theories of the unconscious

The unconscious has had a bumpy ride since Sigmund Freud first described the extent of his discoveries in a seminal paper published 100 years ago this month. Sceptics sneer at its mention, assuming it’s as discreditable as penis envy. Others, who sense the father of psychoanalysis was on to something, prefer to hedge their bets and not be tarnished by Freud’s mixed reputation: they refer limply to the subliminal or subconscious. Yet it could be the case that far from being past its sell-by date, the time of the unconscious is yet to come.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...cious-theories
Old 13th December 2015, 10:19

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: 100 years old and making a comeback – Freud’s theories of the unconscious

Thank you for posting this. I recently visited the Freud Museum with a couple of SA ladies and it reminded me of things I had read when I first had a breakdown 10 years ago. Since then I have gone more down the CBT, mindfulness road, but it made me want to revisit some Freud theory again. I think the article is right in that Freud has in recent times been ridiculed and too much emphasis placed on his theories about sex, rather than a pioneer in the exploration of the unconscious mind. Maybe as neurological science improves, his time is yet to come. Thanks again for the link
Old 13th December 2015, 12:22

Mood
Bashful

Default Re: 100 years old and making a comeback – Freud’s theories of the unconscious

Most psychologists have always believed and still believe there's an unconscious, I think the writer of the article is confused about a few things. For isnatnce, an paranesic patient substituing a forgotten word for another similar one is better explained by the words being semantically similar than repression.