SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd June 2014, 18:05

Default Advice needed regarding workers rights

Hey guys,

I just wondered if anybody here had any knowledge of workers rights. I currently work in retail, when I first started we used to be asked to come in ten minutes before our shift to be briefed on where we would be working within the store that day, and also be told about what money the store has taken that week etc and the goals for the day, plus any other information we needed to know. We used to be able to sign in before our brief, so would be paid for it as it was technically work related. So I would come in 15 mins before I started work, put my bag in my locker etc and then sign in and sit down for a brief. We now have a new manager who has said we have to be at work 15 mins before for our briefing and we wont be paid for it.

I know it seems really petty, and i'm not overtly angry about it, but our new manager is a complete arsehole anyway, he has given written warnings to people for ridiculous things, one lady had to leave work because her son had cracked his head open at school and there was nobody else to pick him up.

I just wanted to know, for my knowledge whether he is allowed to do this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to read and reply!
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:11

Default Re: Advice needed regarding workers rights

You should check this website out for further information.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...ts_at_work.htm

Technically you are working, and you have a right to payment during working hours, so yes, you should be entitled to pay during that time period.
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:24
Banned at own request

Get to work exactly the time that you have to clock in, walk in and start work. He hasn't got a leg to stand on

Saying that sometimes it's easier just to get on with what he's said and not rock the boat.

Or perhaps send an email to your hr department asking why you're not being paid for being at work?
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:05

If you want to rock the boat do what BFG says. If you're not being paid then you're under no obligation to be there.

You could also clock in before the briefing if they'll let you. Is it just a clocking in machine? You're boss sounds like a twat, maybe because he's new he's trying to show his authority but givimg somebody a warnimg when their kid had an accident is ridiculous and probably illegal.

Also, are you in a union? Ask them if you are.
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:28

No he's not allowed to do that. Speak to your union.
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:05

We do have a clocking in machine but we've been told we'll get a disciplinary if we clock in before our brief. We are expected to clock in just as we come out of the staff room after our briefing. We will be part of the union definitely, we're part of a huge well known chain of stores.

I think I'm definitely going to speak to HR. I have also been threatened with being sacked because of absence when I had a (mini) breakdown a couple of months ago, even though I went into work and sat down with the assistant manager and told her everything, the meds I'm on, details of my therapist etc. She said they would work with me and change my shifts around etc while I'm recovering as they didn't want me to have to get signed off as I was a "valuable member of staff". Two weeks later they were already asking me to go back on tills and go back to my normal shifts, I hadn't even started therapy then.

Anyway sorry for the long story!

Thanks for all your advice!

x