SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th June 2014, 13:28

Default Neighbour's smoking issue....

My neighbours smokes alot, and they smoke in their kitchen while holding the cigarette outside the kitchen window (they have a kid, which is why they smoke in their kitchen). I swear they spend as much as half the day smoking out their kitchen window, and it's annoying as it means I can't leave my bathroom window open for long periods (their kitchen window is right in front of my bathroom window). But we manage it, it's not really a big deal.

But I've just found out that they will be moving into the flat next door, which would be a nightmare for us cos they will smoke out their kitchen window, and their kitchen window is right in front of my baby's bedroom, and their smoke will obviously drift into by baby's room.
Below is an image that will help you see what I mean.....

As it's hot we leave the baby's bedroom windows open alot, and it is vital to try to keep her bedroom as cool as possible in this weather as overheating is one of the biggest causes of (I don't even want to type this term) cot-death. So keeping her window closed all day is not an option, and even in winter, it is important to ventilate her room. The other biggest cause of cot-death is smoking (passive). I can't allow my neighbour's smoke to invade my daughter's bedroom, not a chance. I ain't having that.

We can't move her cot to another room, cos we're living in a one bedroom flat (she shares the bedroom with us).

We can't move out to another flat, that isn't an option, we just can't afford it right now.

I'm extremely paranoid about cot death, I read about it before my baby was born and it's worried me ever since. With the neighbour's moving in to the flat next door and their constant smoking out of their kitchen window, I'm actually worried (maybe irrationally so) about this issue.

What do I do?
Old 24th June 2014, 13:38

Default Re: Neighbour's smoking issue....

Do you know your neighbour well? Can't you voice your concerns to them? Hopefully they'll understand, and they can change their behaviour to suit your needs. I think that's the best thing to do at first.

And like Coffee and Appear said below, the fact that they are smoking in the kitchen because they're concerned about their kid is a good indication that they will completely understand where you're coming from.
Old 24th June 2014, 13:40
Global Moderator

^ Agree. If they smoke out of a window because of their kid, they should be able to appreciate your situation. Can't really see any way other than talking to them.
Old 24th June 2014, 13:57

Yep, I think Jz and Coffee are bang on. I'd hope that with having kid themselves, your neighbours would understand. And I don't think you're being irrational by worrying about it at all - little jamella's health is more than a legitimate concern.

It could just be as simple as them smoking out of another window.
Old 24th June 2014, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzMunch
Do you know your neighbour well? Can't you voice your concerns to them? Hopefully they'll understand, and they can change their behaviour to suit your needs. I think that's the best thing to do at first.

And like Coffee and Appear said below, the fact that they are smoking in the kitchen because they're concerned about their kid is a good indication that they will completely understand where you're coming from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith of Coffeeville
^ Agree. If they smoke out of a window because of their kid, they should be able to appreciate your situation. Can't really see any way other than talking to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
Yep, I think Jz and Coffee are bang on. I'd hope that with having kid themselves, your neighbours would understand. And I don't think you're being irrational by worrying about it at all - little jamella's health is more than a legitimate concern.

It could just be as simple as them smoking out of another window.
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I am going to have to talk to them. We are cool with each other, we always chat when we bump into each other, etc... but I'm concerned about the fact that I'm not very assertive, and I'm not sure how to be assertive without seeming aggressive. I'm not aggressive at all, but I think it can seem like I'm being aggressive when trying to assert myself. I dunno.
And although they get on with me, I don't think they are the most understanding kind of people, I dunno, they seem to moan alot, especially about the other neighbours, so I'm not entirely sure how they'll take it.
Old 24th June 2014, 15:41

It's a difficult one to approach, because you don't want to make out like you're demanding them to act in a particular way, which could make them less willing to do something about it. Maybe you could mention offhand that you've had problems with past tenants smoking out of the window (if they're always moaning, it would be easy to drop a moan yourself in there), and let them 'decide' for themselves that that's something they won't do.
Old 24th June 2014, 15:55
Banned at own request

If it's on the ground floor go outside and glue their window shut one night

Or buy a cheap air conditioning unit.
Old 24th June 2014, 16:11

Yeah I thought about talking to mine and their landlord, but I doubt they could do much about it.

And, BFG, if they don't listen to me, a cheap air con unit might be a good alternative. It won't be ideal, but at least it's a last resort solution.
Old 24th June 2014, 22:56

^ I was impressed by the diagram too, not least because it's now allowed me to identify exactly where Jam lives.

And I've just taken the liberty of updating the diagram to show how things'll be as of tomorrow:

Old 24th June 2014, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
And, BFG, if they don't listen to me, a cheap air con unit might be a good alternative. It won't be ideal, but at least it's a last resort solution.
The problem with those is that they are noisy and expensive to run. They also have a large exhaust hose which must be vented to the outside.
Old 25th June 2014, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
The problem with those is that they are noisy and expensive to run. They also have a large exhaust hose which must be vented to the outside.
I knew it would be expensive to run, but didn't realise it had a large exhaust that needs to be vented outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
And I've just taken the liberty of updating the diagram to show how things'll be as of tomorrow:

@ Biscuit & Stoopkid........ Thanks you both!
Old 25th June 2014, 10:17

What about an electric fan, rather than an AC unit?
Old 25th June 2014, 10:25

^ I was thinking that, but can't they be quite noisy? I'd be tempted by one of those Dyson Air Multipliers if they weren't so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam

Old 25th June 2014, 10:35

^ Nah, they're not terribly loud. Then again my choice is a) noisy main road with window open or b) noisy-ish fan. Rural life should be more tranquil than this, I'm sure.
Old 25th June 2014, 11:24

^ An electric fan, I will have to buy one. Thanks.
Old 25th June 2014, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
I knew it would be expensive to run, but didn't realise it had a large exhaust that needs to be vented outside.
Yas.

Unless you get an evaporative cooler but they are pretty rubbish and put loads of moisture into the air.
Old 25th June 2014, 19:17

^ Yeah I see what you mean, that's no good. I like the electric fan idea.