Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st September 2016, 18:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Exercise bike- gaining weight!

I am rather discouraged that my weight has gone up 4.6 lbs(2.09 kgs) since starting the sessions on the exercise bike. Whilst not expecting to lose much weight just by going on the exercise bike I hadn't expected to be gaining weight!
Old 1st September 2016, 18:25

Default Re: Exercise bike- gaining weight!

Are you dieting as well as exercising?
Old 1st September 2016, 19:08

Mood
Blah

Forget measuring your weight. A more important measure would be a body fat % measurement.

There are machines that tell you it, but they aren't very accurate. The better way would to do a pinch test (which basically shows how much fat you have on your sides). Or just measure your waist around the belly button. If you lose weight, it will get smaller! (over time).
Old 1st September 2016, 19:27
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^^ I don't think so. Other people mentioned about muscle mass which made me a bit paranoid. What I don't want is to look more muscular but just to exercise to improve fitness a bit.

^ I am not counting calories but am making a little effort to eat less. I don't want to go down the route of religiously noting the calorific value of everything I eat! Last effort started ok ie about 1-1.5 lbs lost a week but tailed off.
I think a major problem was I was often not sleeping well at night and am on risperdal, an atypical antipsychotic.

Quote:
By measuring energy intake, oxygen consumptions, carbon dioxide release, and heat production, the team found that the drug-dosed mice were burning fewer calories while resting and sleeping compared to normal mice. In fact, the drug-dosed mice were burning about 16 percent fewer calories. That would be equivalent to a person on a standard 2,000 calorie-a-day diet eating a McDonald's cheeseburger everyday in addition to their normal diet, which would lead to about a 29-pound weight gain over a year, the authors note.

After some calculations, the researchers found that the lower calorie-burning rate matched up with the weight gain they saw in the mice.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/201...spurs-obesity/

In my case being on roughly 3,100 calories a day when not dieting is equivalent to 45 lbs weight gain through burning fewer calories.