SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th April 2024, 10:13

Default Reading things wrong

Have you ever been guilty of reading things wrong in text and thinking/assuming that someone was mocking/poking fun at you in a nasty way, when this in fact was not the case? I know I have.

If this has ever happened to you what happened? Did you lose a friend or were you able to resolve the miscommunication or were you just able to move past it without hanging onto resentment?
Old 27th April 2024, 12:08

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Reading things wrong

Online digital communication is always going to throw up these occasional instances of miscommunication,
When you misinterpret something it can often play into our hidden fears of abandonment dislike, hatred etc.

I've gotten the wrong end of the stick quite a few times,
It can expose how vulnerable we can be to (apparent) criticism and how much we have come to rely on digital communication as opposed to real life interaction.

Some of our relationships can be based on a kind of mental belief that we are understood, liked, appreciated etc
But sadly I tend to keep people at arms length so that belief can often be tentative as there isn't enough real interaction to prove things and give a more solid foundation.

From my personal point of view, I've often found it difficult to trust or bond with people, so when this miscommunication happens, it often feels very real.
Old 27th April 2024, 13:10

Default Re: Reading things wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
Online digital communication is always going to throw up these occasional instances of miscommunication,
When you misinterpret something it can often play into our hidden fears of abandonment dislike, hatred etc.

I've gotten the wrong end of the stick quite a few times,
It can expose how vulnerable we can be to (apparent) criticism and how much we have come to rely on digital communication as opposed to real life interaction.

Some of our relationships can be based on a kind of mental belief that we are understood, liked, appreciated etc
But sadly I tend to keep people at arms length so that belief can often be tentative as there isn't enough real interaction to prove things and give a more solid foundation.

From my personal point of view, I've often found it difficult to trust or bond with people, so when this miscommunication happens, it often feels very real.

Good post, I can relateā€¦