SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th April 2024, 14:40

Mood
Cynical

Default Different approaches needed for housework for people who are neurodivergent.

This was an interesting podcast I happened to listen to and thought the book being discussed could be helpful for anyone who is neurodivergent, who has family members who are or who struggles with doing things around the house due to their mental health.

They are discussing a book called "How to keep house while drowning." by KC Davis, who is a therapist and is also neurodivergent herself. (Apparently it is pretty American centric, but i assume it can probably be applied to British life too.)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Keep-Ho...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's about how different people who's brains may work differently can need a very different approach to getting housework (and many other things) done than people who are not.

The three women in the podcast mostly discuss it in relation to their teenage children who are diagnosed neurodivergent, particularly that they might need to break things into much smaller tasks or set a timer just to do a small amount of something.

(Discussing the book starts at about the 5 minute mark.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHnlwrmeQh0&t=5s
Old 27th April 2024, 16:28

Default Re: Different approaches needed for housework for people who are neurodivergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
This was an interesting podcast I happened to listen to and thought the book being discussed could be helpful for anyone who is neurodivergent, who has family members who are or who struggles with doing things around the house due to their mental health.

They are discussing a book called "How to keep house while drowning." by KC Davis, who is a therapist and is also neurodivergent herself. (Apparently it is pretty American centric, but i assume it can probably be applied to British life too.)

It's about how different people who's brains may work differently can need a very different approach to getting housework (and many other things) done than people who are not.

The three women in the podcast mostly discuss it in relation to their teenage children who are diagnosed neurodivergent, particularly that they might need to break things into much smaller tasks or set a timer just to do a small amount of something.

(Discussing the book starts at about the 5 minute mark.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHnlwrmeQh0&t=5s
Thanks for sharing this Dougella. I think that I possibly have adhd, which might contribute to my intense dislike of housework.
Old 27th April 2024, 19:30

Default Re: Different approaches needed for housework for people who are neurodivergent.

Thanks Dougella, I'll likely find this very helpful.
Old 28th April 2024, 14:46

Mood
Cynical

The woman who wrote the book was diagnosed with ADHD, so I think it could be useful for anyone who also suspects they might have it or has been diagnosed. She also says she wrote it very much in a way that could be easiest for people to get through, and that there's also a guide for people who don't feel they can read the whole thing to just skip through and get the most important bits.