SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th April 2021, 00:01

Default Zwanzig Jahre, die gleiche Scheiße

Realised I'm fighting the same battles now I was at 25, over 20 years ago. Some indifferent and cliquey or even slightly hostile coworkers from the kickoff, having to try to earn their respect and acceptance, and losing whatever had been earned in some cases due to perceptions of incompetence it seems (I'm very new in the job and finding it an uphill struggle, plus the corporate approach to training is a bit eyebrow-raising).

Plus being told that across the audio I sound like the youngest team member, when in fact I am by far the oldest.

Makes me wonder what it's all about in a way, why I've bothered. I try to keep positive and pro-active, and always work on self-improvement, but this is a real kick in the you-know-what.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:40

Default Re: Zwanzig Jahre, die gleiche Scheiße

Good luck in the new job limey I hope things work out in the long term and that you do eventually feel settled.
Old 8th April 2021, 15:52

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Veinte años la misma mierda

you do need to watch that in trying to find acceptance of work colleagues,
that you don't end up bringing yourself down to their level, and staying there,

worse than that,. they can end up changing and then you look like a nob,..
when all you were doing was trying to bond in some way.

it's not easy, but you give up too much when you pretend to go down to their level, and buy into their crap.

I lost myself a long time ago, and wish,. as weird as i was,. that I'd stayed true to myself.
Old 8th April 2021, 17:36

I can relate to you, Limey. I so know the feeling! I do hope you manage to settle into your new job soon. It can't be easy making a career change like you're doing. I really admire you for it. Good advice from Mr Nobody.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:53

That's about my level of German! I do admire you taking on a new career, I hope things get better.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:10

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and also words of encouragement. Tonight I am writing my leaving note. It's an agency role so according to the contract I can terminate at once. I gave it 110%. But it wasn't for me. I won't go into details but one major reason was the corporate approach to training; they never actually taught me the most key things I needed to know and understand to actually perform the role. The approach instead seemed to be simply "we'll throw you at the clients and you can learn from your mistakes". That may work for some people, but it doesn't work for me. Bad for me and even worse for the clients. While at the same time I was being told that mistakes could hardly be tolerated. I need proper training materials and evalulations/verifications of my learning, etc. Maybe that's my failing, but too bad. With more suitable training I could probably have done the job OK, dunno, though there was a steep learning curve and masses to learn. Training remotely also made things harder. I gave it my best, including spending a decent chunk of my time off trying to get ahead, and I have no major regrets. So, assuming my notice is accepted immediately, I am back in the labour market. What I'll actually do next, I don't know for sure yet. I'm down, but certainly not out!
Old 15th April 2021, 13:14

Sorry to hear that, limey. Sounds to me like you've been badly let down by this employer whose training procedures leave a lot to be desired. I hope you complained about that in your leaving note. Hopefully another and better opportunity turns up for you very soon. Don't give up!
Old 16th April 2021, 03:28

Good luck in your next role limey sounds like you gave this one everything you could, it just wasn't to be due to their approach to training.
Old 17th April 2021, 12:25

Thanks everyone. I actually put the blame mainly on myself when I spoke to the employment agency. But of course things are more complicated than that. I very much doubt anything will change at the corp anyway, as I will have been labelled as a misfit. Onwards and upwards! (hopefully).
Old 24th June 2021, 23:12

That's a very mature way of handling it. I hate that sort of employer approach, and you knew when to bail instead of making both parties miserable.
Old 7th July 2021, 08:25

^ Thanks for your thoughts – it still looks like the right decision.