SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st November 2018, 21:39

Mood
Mellow

Talking Experience of universal credit

Anyone receiving it at the moment or experienced any issues trying to apply for it? I applied for it nearly a month ago and still haven't been told if I'm even eligible for it, never mind if I'll actually receive any benefits from it. I know it takes up to 6 weeks to get anything though.

I only applied as I work too few hours and I am struggling to pay for anything. My partner had to apply for it as a joint claim but he works more hours than me. I think there going to assess what he earns and completely expect me to live off his cash which is really unfair...its not like he's a useless anxiety ridden idiot that cannot hold down a job (I'm temping because I can't face getting a proper job) I feel guilty enough making him apply for it, never mind ask him to pay for all my bills and rent, it's not right. I do work it's just too little hours and too little pay and it's not enough even though I like the job, hours are far too unpredictable and drying up.

Would like to make it past Christmas with out taking a breakdown or getting more depressed over money tbh
Old 1st November 2018, 21:54

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Experience of universal credit

It is true that if you live together and your partner earns above a certain amount you might not be entitled to anything, but it's worth a try.
Old 1st November 2018, 21:55

Mood
Tired

I have no experience of universal credit, but can't see why you wouldn't get it,
I just think it sad that we often beat ourselves up so much for our mental health difficulties,
Yet, if it was physical, like visual impairment or being wheelchair bound, for example, would we be berating ourselves for not being able to work in certain conditions?

Please give yourself a break, you seem to feel so guilty over your mental health issues.
Old 2nd November 2018, 00:13

Mood
Bashful

Yes it***8217;s ****ing terrible after my bills are laid I have £20 a week to spend on my ***8216;life***8217; I.e. food, fun. I***8217;ve set myself a challenge to buy some spaghetti and pasta sauce a day and that***8217;s all I can spend until I can get a job
Old 2nd November 2018, 00:28
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^
Yes I've done calculation tools online as to how I would be affected on universal credit and it's pretty scary, 200 - 300 pounds a month worse off and looking at how it would affect me in full time work is even more frightening.

I think John Major may be right it may be this Tory parties poll tax. It's not just ill/disabled ppl - when able ppl in work have to start going to the job centre to try and find even more work because say there having to claim the housing element of UC, or can only work part time because they have kids or are carers there gonna be pretty pissed off.
Old 2nd November 2018, 00:33

As Dougella says, UC is means tested so if you are living with your partner, they will take your combined income into consideration.

However, PIP is not means tested and can be awarded regardless of any other income you might have; you would need something from a doctor or social worker testifying that your condition affects your day-to-day life and there is a knack to completing the form, but it may be an option.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:20

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishPeace
Yes it’s ****ing terrible after my bills are laid I have £20 a week to spend on my ‘life’ I.e. food, fun. I’ve set myself a challenge to buy some spaghetti and pasta sauce a day and that’s all I can spend until I can get a job
Have you given up smoking? That would save you a lot. I saw you said you've stop drinking, so congrats on that.
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
^
Yes I've done calculation tools online as to how I would be affected on universal credit and it's pretty scary, 200 - 300 pounds a month worse off and looking at how it would affect me in full time work is even more frightening.

I think John Major may be right it may be this Tory parties poll tax. It's not just ill/disabled ppl - when able ppl in work have to start going to the job centre to try and find even more work because say there having to claim the housing element of UC, or can only work part time because they have kids or are carers there gonna be pretty pissed off.
Same here,it's terrifying frankly :/ It should be switching over in my area any time between now and January,fun times.
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:10

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Yes I've done calculation tools online as to how I would be affected on universal credit and it's pretty scary, 200 - 300 pounds a month worse off.
You don't seem short of money though. You have a car, phone, laptop, tablet, you drink wine, eat desserts, crisps, doughnuts, fast food (greggs, pizza, chippy). If you still have your basic needs met while receiving less, then you are currently being overpaid.
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:14

Mood
Dramaqueen

I work in social services and UC is horrific. There are some test cases going on at the moment about the legality and fairness of it. For someone who became ill and got ESA a year ago, they are better off than someone with an equivalent condition on UC today. If you are signing up to a job finding contract, read it VERY carefully, and tell the Job Coach every constraint you have on your ability to work (childcare, caring responsibilities, ability to use public transport, etc). We've heard of people being sanctioned as they won't go to job interviews 30 miles away - they didn't read the job finding contract before signing it. Saying after the event that you can't attend due to childcare, etc isn't good enough for them. The whole concept of UC is a good one, but the way it is being delivered is nothing short of inhumane.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:02
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ You get a sum for rent in your UC which you then have to arrange yourself to pay to your landlord.

As for the reactionary idea from another poster that people in ill health should live on a pittance: Do we really want a barbaric,uncivilised society where people are punished for being ill and allowed nothing to make life more bearable? I think anyone who wants that kind of society is guilty of a large measure of inhumanity/sociopathy.

It really disturbs me on a site where some of us have serious mental health problems that there are some nasty minded people here wishing us to live miserable,impoverished lives .
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:26
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
You don't seem short of money though. You have a car, phone, laptop, tablet, you drink wine, eat deserts, crisps, doughnuts, fast food (greggs, pizza, chippy). If you still have your basic needs met while receiving less, then you are currently being overpaid.
My dad died and left me a small sum of money this is the only reason I can afford a car - a car I might add that cost me £250. It's actually cheaper in the long run than buses which now cost £9 a trip. I have low insurance because of my age and clean licence. I drink wine once in a blue moon. I eat deserts that are cheap and far from everyday. I do not eat fast food often. I've bought a sausage roll in Greggs possibly only twice this year (mostly cause i'm scared of going into places like greggs where I have to ask for something) and chip shop chips and a sausage in batter also once in a blue moon (at a cost of £2.80). I buy pizza from the supermarket and indeed make my own from scratch. I never order Chinese, Indian or Pizza etc.. from takeaways. My dad when he was alive gave me the the money for a cheap laptop (these days a lap top or PC would be considered a necessity I would have thought). My tablet which is very cheap was bought from money I saved through Quidco. I spend my DLA now PIP on mental health treatment that I should be getting from the NHS.

My basic needs probably won't be met through UC. And I might add I have a illness which prevents me from working and also from having any kind of life. What your saying is ill ppl should be prisoners in there own home and have no enjoyment. Which I find deeply backwards a bit sick. You wouldn't say that about someone who had say downs syndrome who has benefits not to just cover food and bills but to have a small amount happiness. So why pick on ppl with other illness/disabilities such as mental health issues.

Though I hope you had fun being busy dredging through my posts to make a warped point I find that highly amusing for some reason.

If you really want to challenge benefit and housing issues I strongly suggest you go and meet real ppl in various situations, needs and difficulties rather than often basing your arguments and insight on a couple of ex girlfriends.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:28
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
As for the reactionary idea from another poster that people in ill health should live on a pittance: Do we really want a barbaric,uncivilised society where people are punished for being ill and allowed nothing to make life more bearable? I think anyone who wants that kind of society is guilty of a large measure of inhumanity/sociopathy.

It really disturbs me on a site where some of us have serious mental health problems that there are some nasty minded people here wishing us to live miserable,impoverished lives .
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:33

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky Monster
^^Yes, because if you're on benefits through absolutely no fault of your own you should be made to live in a bare cell in total isolation and live off bread and water only. Because God forbid you should have any enjoyment in life while you live with the effects of ill health from day to day and struggle to get well
Removing desserts, takeaways and crisps from your diet does not leave you with bread and water, you are being silly.

Do you think it's fair that this money is taken from working people to pay for crisps for non working people, which may leave the person that actually worked for the money unable to afford crisps themselves?

People on benefits should have enough to cover their needs.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:41

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
You think not being able to afford crisps and sausage rolls is a miserable and impoverished life It just shows how out of touch with reality the left are.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:46

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
My dad died and left me a small sum of money this is the only reason I can afford a car - a car I might add that cost me £250. It's actually cheaper in the long run than buses which now cost £9 a trip. I have low insurance because of my age and clean licence. I drink wine once in a blue moon. I eat deserts that are cheap and far from everyday. I do not eat fast food often. I've bought a sausage roll in Greggs possibly only twice this year (mostly cause i'm scared of going into places like greggs where I have to ask for something) and chip shop chips and a sausage in batter also once in a blue moon (at a cost of £2.80). I buy pizza from the supermarket and indeed make my own from scratch. I never order Chinese, Indian or Pizza etc.. from takeaways. My dad when he was alive gave me the the money for a cheap laptop (these days a lap top or PC would be considered a necessity I would have thought). My tablet which is very cheap was bought from money I saved through Quidco. I spend my DLA now PIP on mental health treatment that I should be getting from the NHS.

My basic needs probably won't be met through UC. And I might add I have a illness which prevents me from working and also from having any kind of life. What your saying is ill ppl should be prisoners in there own home and have no enjoyment. Which I find deeply backwards a bit sick. You wouldn't say that about someone who had say downs syndrome who has benefits not to just cover food and bills but to have a small amount happiness. So why pick on ppl with other illness/disabilities such as mental health issues.

Though I hope you had fun being busy dredging through my posts to make a warped point I find that highly amusing for some reason.

If you really want to challenge benefit and housing issues I strongly suggest you go and meet real ppl in various situations, needs and difficulties rather than often basing your arguments and insight on a couple of ex girlfriends.
I agree your treatment should be free, that is what we pay into the NHS for after all.

I'm not picking on you.

So what are you going to do when the change kicks in?
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:14

^^^ It depends on the benefit one is receiving: those receiving benefits because of disabilities and health issues should be able to have something beyond basic needs. Meanwhile, those on the so-called subsistence benefits (eg. JSA) do not receive enough to cover their basic needs, in many cases. The wording is "... amount the law says you need to live on", not the actual amount one needs to live.

People who work but, for one reason or another, spend a lot of time in hospital are still entitled to desserts, takeaways and crisps, despite the fact that they are also draining resources paid from others' taxation. Of these, some receive NHS treatment because of injuries resulting from playing sports or reckless behaviour, whilst others need treatment resulting from alcohol or substance abuse. I don't see anybody suggesting that they should enjoy a lower standard of living, despite the fact that they also take more from the system than they pay in.

I have been on JSA (or Unemployment Benefit as it was known previously) for short periods during my life and it has been a struggle; far from being able to afford desserts and takeaways, I've had times when paying the bills has meant living on porridge and even four or five days at a time with no food at all. Now that I am receiving PIP, I do enjoy a more comfortable life; having said that, UC would mean that I was more than £300 per month worse off, because of removal of the severe disability element of ESA.

By the way, if one is looking for work, the DWP likes claimants to have transport (as Mo states, public transport fares in many areas, particularly outside the big cities, are unaffordable) and a smartphone.

It is one thing to live on subsistence benefits for short periods of time "between jobs"; to force those with little or no prospect of working, through no fault of their own, to exist (and I do mean, exist, not live) on such benefits long-term would be nothing short of barbaric and would lead to (even more) depression, possibly suicide (ultimately draining more of the nation's resources in emergency health and mental health treatment, although the latter remains sadly lacking if one is unable to afford private treatment!). It is impossible to numerate the number of deaths attributed to the Government's application of benefit rules, sanctions, the appeal process and the rollout of UC (even when forced to give figures for deaths of benefit claimants in Parliament, as a result of a petition from change.org, Iain Duncan Smith did his best to manipulate said figures), but it would not be inconsiderable.

After my mental breakdown in the Jobcentre, which led to the suggestion from the staff there that I should apply for ESA rather than JSA (which, in itself, was not straightforward), I was agoraphobic for three years. I was lucky enough, eventually, to be placed in the support group so did receive more than the basic subsistence level of benefit, but I have only been receiving higher-rate PIP since December 2017 (my initial PIP assessment was £20pw on appeal, after being refused - by the time I discovered that I had been cheated, I was told that I would have to wait until my re-assessment date to change it, so I was underpaid for three years). If I were unable to leave the house because of financial constraints, I would become agoraphobic again and drain resources in other ways.

We are supposed to live in a humane society. Personally, I have been paying taxes since I was 16 years old and during that time, I drew little in terms of resources, to the point where I was removed from the lists of two GPs because I didn't use the doctor. Now that I am in receipt of benefits, I do not feel guilty for having a laptop and driving a car (which is eighteen years old, cost £200 on ebay and £150 to insure for the current year), since I have made my contribution whilst working with an undiagnosed disability.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:16

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
You don't seem short of money though. You have a car, phone, laptop, tablet, you drink wine, eat desserts, crisps, doughnuts, fast food (greggs, pizza, chippy). If you still have your basic needs met while receiving less, then you are currently being overpaid.
Basic needs is quite a subjective term, isn't it? If the main measure of wealth is whether you can afford crisps or doughnuts, which are relatively cheap, then how does fresh fruit and vegetables equate? In many areas, they are more expensive than buying convenience foods. So would fresh fruit and veg be classed as basic needs, given that eating a varied and nutrient dense diet would be most likely to optimise your health status? On that basis, one could argue that giving people less to live on is pushing them more towards poor health and further away from the possibility of getting into work, if you look at that one facet.

Yes, it's more complex than what I've put forward, but I work with many of the most vulnerable people you can imagine. To assume they are living the life of riley, soaking up the benefits is simply not true. Many are just existing day to day, and the prospect of having enough money left at the end of the week to buy a magazine to cheer themselves up is about all they can hope for.

I doubt you will change your mind on this as you seem pretty set, but with the people I work with, the idea that they are leading a lavish life, so can afford to lose money and downsize their spending, is simply not true.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:31
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
I agree your treatment should be free, that is what we pay into the NHS for after all.

I'm not picking on you.

So what are you going to do when the change kicks in?
Really? I felt that was a pretty personal and offensive post.

I should (in theory) be moved to it by natural migration which would offer me transitional protection. Until I have a change of circumstances.

If forced on to UC with no TP then you have no choice but to suck it up. My counselling will stop. I have no other form of support except MIND which is 40 mins away by car and about an hour away by bus. I've been trying to slowly move towards work, UC will just send my sa backwards, make me more isolated (and possibly back to being agoraphobic) and at best keep me where I am, at worst make my condition worse.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:43
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
You think not being able to afford crisps and sausage rolls is a miserable and impoverished life It just shows how out of touch with reality the left are.
Now you're being silly, and either very unintelligent or deliberately trolling. How much does a sausage roll cost? How much a packet of crisps now and then? And you call the left out of touch?! You're so far out of touch you're still living in the age of the workhouses.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:41

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
As Dougella says, UC is means tested so if you are living with your partner, they will take your combined income into consideration.

However, PIP is not means tested and can be awarded regardless of any other income you might have; you would need something from a doctor or social worker testifying that your condition affects your day-to-day life and there is a knack to completing the form, but it may be an option.
This is true and I know some people who are on it. However, one has MS and one has various mental health problems and hasn't worked in years. So I dont feel that I would be eligible for it, I haven't been to my GP for my anxiety in months now, just been trying to 'deal' with it. So I dont think I'll have much of an argument. I want to work more hours, I really wish that I could but as soon as my agency gives me another job over and above my part time receptionist role, I seem to fall apart. They also dont know about my anxiety either and they ask me a lot to do last min jobs in the back of beyond for places I have never worked for and just 'expect' me to know what I'm doing and be confident and efficient at doing it.

The part time reception work is for a quiet office, so I get just enough calls and visitors that I can hold it together most of the time. But they have gave me work before thats nothing but calls after calls with no downtime and I really felt like crap doing that, like wanted to just walk out of the place.

A quarter of my wage goes towards just getting to work, then I have rent (which I half with my partner - no housing benefit), a lot of direct debits for utilities that I do need, food, credit card etc. Some months I have managed it, some months my partner has had to pay some more. But now I'm really struggling to pay rent at all. My partner does not have a high paying job so if he were to pay all my bills and rent as well as his own, he would also be in a lot of debt. I am in 2 grand of debt from just not having enough income this year and I can only pay the minimum back each month or else it eats into money for other bills.

I am not unemployed but then you dont have to be to get universal credit, I was just looking for a helping hand until I sort out my finances/job situation, not wanting a life of 'luxury'. Really its just to pay for my half of the rent tbh.
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:27

Mood
Bashful

Yes I gave up smoking for stopover and it***8217;s stuck! If I still did I would really be in the shit. I lost my job on 22nd September so it coincided, luckily I have confidence that I***8217;ll get a job soon.
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:14

Quote:
What a pathetic, selfish, bigoted and intolerant post. The Tory party must love people with views like you Schmosby

Sounds like the sort of thing Ian Duncan Smith would say.....

Youll be describing yourself as a "Hard Worker" and a "Striver" next!!!!!

Dont believe everything you read in The Sun and Daily Mail , Matey!!!!
Old 3rd November 2018, 17:54

Mood
Cynical

Quote:

Are you saying that people on sickness benefits shouldn't even eat certain food items?
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:05

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Removing desserts, takeaways and crisps from your diet does not leave you with bread and water, you are being silly.

Do you think it's fair that this money is taken from working people to pay for crisps for non working people, which may leave the person that actually worked for the money unable to afford crisps themselves?

People on benefits should have enough to cover their needs.

Get real! And stoptthis obsession with money being't'taken' from working people to pay for people on benefits, everyone contributes to taxes when they work which most people on benefits have previously. The thing you need to worry about is working people being forced on to universal credit to make ends meet and then being unable to afford their basic needs.

A MILLION PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY HAVE HAD TO USE FOOD BANKS. THEY COULDN'T AFFORD ANY FOOD AT ALL. (yes I am shouting.)
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:13
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^^ I think people like Schmosby would have us shopping at Gruel r us stores . The disabled should lead miserable lives according to people like him. Probably thinks our disabilities are due to some sins in our previous life or some equally infantile nonsense.
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:22

Mood
Cynical

^It's frightening that this kind of view is one that's been encouraged in recent years to justify spending cuts. People seem to forget that sickness benefits go to people with cancer, and degenerative conditions like Parkinson's and MS, and really serious injuries from accidents or serious disabilities aswell as people like us with serious MH problems. And these people think that someone going through cancer treatment shouldn't eat a doughnut or read a magazine, let alone be able to afford to have the heating on and watch some TV! They have no idea of the reality of what people are having to live with.
It really does actually make me angry.
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:37

The way i see it is benefits are there for people in and out of work to support them when they require financial assistance but it does seem like the government tries to penny pinch and taking money away from people who are in need.

How is universal credit calculated?
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:44

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillypenguin
This is true and I know some people who are on it. However, one has MS and one has various mental health problems and hasn't worked in years. So I dont feel that I would be eligible for it, I haven't been to my GP for my anxiety in months now, just been trying to 'deal' with it. So I dont think I'll have much of an argument. I want to work more hours, I really wish that I could but as soon as my agency gives me another job over and above my part time receptionist role, I seem to fall apart. They also dont know about my anxiety either and they ask me a lot to do last min jobs in the back of beyond for places I have never worked for and just 'expect' me to know what I'm doing and be confident and efficient at doing it.

The part time reception work is for a quiet office, so I get just enough calls and visitors that I can hold it together most of the time. But they have gave me work before thats nothing but calls after calls with no downtime and I really felt like crap doing that, like wanted to just walk out of the place.

A quarter of my wage goes towards just getting to work, then I have rent (which I half with my partner - no housing benefit), a lot of direct debits for utilities that I do need, food, credit card etc. Some months I have managed it, some months my partner has had to pay some more. But now I'm really struggling to pay rent at all. My partner does not have a high paying job so if he were to pay all my bills and rent as well as his own, he would also be in a lot of debt. I am in 2 grand of debt from just not having enough income this year and I can only pay the minimum back each month or else it eats into money for other bills.

I am not unemployed but then you dont have to be to get universal credit, I was just looking for a helping hand until I sort out my finances/job situation, not wanting a life of 'luxury'. Really its just to pay for my half of the rent tbh.
To get back to the subject of the post. If your partner is on a low income you might be eligible for some help for universal credit. You might need to make clear to them though that you're only able to work part time because of mental health problems. And like ILoveMyCats says, don't sign anything until you've checked it thoroughly!
Old 6th November 2018, 20:58

Mood
Mellow

Well looks like I'm not getting anything from universal credit. Its prob a good job I'm OK to do just enough hours or else I would have absolute zero money. Ah well, I tried!!