SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th November 2018, 20:23
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Experience of universal credit

There are many ppl on this site who are ill and disabled and what you have is a poster who is effectively saying that some who is ill and disabled who cant work shouldn't do something as basic as buy crisps or eat a sausage roll. I'm not really sure what we should be eating, crisps and sausage rolls are cheap after all.
The sarcasm I suspect is more to do with how utterly ridiculous these statements are.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:26

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
I disagree

I think when people are resorting to snide little jokes then it's just become bullying. It's no longer a debate and to be fair Mo can stand up for herself as she did.

I imagine the other posts were more from people who feel a rush of outrage that someone might question their standard of living that's provided for by the working day of other people. But people have a right to question it.
I didn't say no one has a right to question it...people go through a lot to be classed entitled to those benefits, it's not like years ago when it was money for nothing. Other than the government who does she have to justify herself to?? You? Don't think so. Just cause your friendly with him doesn't mean he's justified in implying she's a bloated layabout who can afford to go without.

The nerve of some people is unbelievable.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:35

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
yes, I get that was a daft example

but benefits do come from taxes and the taxes are taken out of a monthly pay packet Dougella.
I'm sure lots of people who get benefits have paid in to the system, and lots haven't.
Who knows eh. We'll let you judge from your poxy pedestal.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:35

Quote:
this is a really interesting set of posts.

Having just read it now in one go, rather than following it post by post, what I saw is that when one poster had said something that perhaps overstepped a mark and was too personal, the person that it was aimed at (being a strong, intelligent character) was quite able to argue her own point.

But then, because perhaps the issues being discussed touched a nerve, and perhaps because people realise that outside of this forum, within the general workforce, a high proportion of people will share doubts about the welfare system and what it provides..I read a lot of sarcastic and unkind posts, one after the other.

Does everyone have a valid point to make? Or are people feeling defensive and therefore just making snide comments?

2 people arguing is an argument.

A bunch of people joining in with nothing to add is bullying.
I disagree.

I think the people who you refer to as being bullies have been quite restrained in most of their comments. Certainly there has been some mild sarcasm but given the nature of the comments they were replying to, I dont have any problem with that.

Personally I think that anyone, who believes that folk on Minimal Health Related Social Security should have their income massively reduced to some sort of Basic Subsistence level is bang out of order. And thats me putting it mildly!

Clearly this would mean that many people on here (who are already struggling financially) would be reduced to a shockingly low standard of life, through no fault of their own.

Is it "so" surprising then that they (and others) might be a little bit miffed?

Now, as you say there are elements of the general population (I dont know how high) who may also like to see "poor people being made poorer" , but I dont see why thats relevant. I dont think that anyone here has claimed that the "Right Wing" poster's views are somehow unique

And I imagine if such Nasty/Regressive/Beggar Thy Neighbor type views were posted outwith this forum on GENUINELY Left Wing/Progressive Websites then the the levels of fury and abuse would be orders of magnitude higher than what has been said here.

Well thats my thoughts anyway.....
Old 8th November 2018, 20:37

Mood
Cynical

^^^ I don't think, personally, that judging anyone who has never been able to work is a nice or even a useful thing to do. If you go down that road you'd have to start questioning the lives of a lot of people with learning difficulties and severe physical disabilities and autism....

That's partly why I felt the need to add some comments, not necessarily to defend Mo because she doesn't need it, but to try to bring a bit of wider understanding to the discussion.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:44

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
No, I wouldn't ask anyone to justify themselves to me. I just read a lot of attacking posts, when Mo had already made her perfectly good and valid point. I didn't think it needed so many people to jump in. We all say the wrong thing sometimes.

And I'm friendly with Mo too, which is why I don't think she needs me to stick up for her, she's feisty enough herself.
Yea you do you said as much. It comes from a Pay packet..etc. We aren't dullards we know how money works! The government take tax from just about anything so saying people haven't paid blah blah is bollocks.

At least stand by what you say. Throwing the bullying card out there as you did is a childish move and exaggeration. It's what you do when you can't win an argument on merit.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:48

Mood
Cynical

^ No, i'm pointing out why what you said about people's wages isn't fair.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:52

The way I see it is, if the taxes I pay are used for someone who is in genuine need that's fine but some people are overpaid and should probably be working.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:54

Quote:
No, I wouldn't ask anyone to justify themselves to me. I just read a lot of attacking posts, when Mo had already made her perfectly good and valid point. I didn't think it needed so many people to jump in. We all say the wrong thing sometimes.

And I'm friendly with Mo too, which is why I don't think she needs me to stick up for her, she's feisty enough herself.
I assume people jumped in because they strongly opposed the views being expressed (i.e. that poor people should be made poorer still).

And many posters expressed an opinion that the comments concerned were extremely offensive/nasty/regressive etc, so thats probably why some of the responses were quite strident in nature.

A lot of people were angered , so a lot of people responded

Whats wrong with that?
Old 8th November 2018, 20:55

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't really follow what you're saying. I'm not on anyone's side, I don't really know what you mean by 'we'.

I don't know what you mean by stand by what you say? You've really lost me. I am saying that I didn't think so many people needed to jump in.
I'd say you've lost too.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:02

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
The way I see it is, if the taxes I pay are used for someone who is in genuine need that's fine but some people are overpaid and should probably be working.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's over paid on benefits now, to be honest.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:03

Quote:
Well, personally Id rather the taxes I pay (and by the way almost everyone pays taxes of some sort) were spent helping poor/sick people than spent on things like Nuclear weapons, Illegal wars and Tax cuts for the Rich and Well Off.

We all have our views.......

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
why?
Because there are many people who were never able to pay taxes, through no fault of their own.

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
There are many ppl on this site who are ill and disabled and what you have is a poster who is effectively saying that some who is ill and disabled who cant work shouldn't do something as basic as buy crisps or eat a sausage roll. I'm not really sure what we should be eating, crisps and sausage rolls are cheap after all.
The sarcasm I suspect is more to do with how utterly ridiculous these statements are.
This isn't what I said at all, assuming you are referring to me.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:04

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Thank you Newbs

You may officially have the last word on the matter, because you are lovely

as are Mo and Shmosby
Ass kisser
Old 8th November 2018, 21:05

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplesnarf
So is Mo or anybody else on here on benefits allowed crisps or sausage rolls or not?

Yes, crisps for all!
Old 8th November 2018, 21:09

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
So is Mo or anybody else on here on benefits allowed crisps or sausage rolls or not?
Yea fook em all. We'll die happy in a bathtub of twiglets and monster munch rock n roll
Old 8th November 2018, 21:10

Quote:
no, I mean it

They are all important to me. They know that I hope.
Crisps are important to you?
Old 8th November 2018, 21:12

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
^^^^ the crisps are on me!!

^^ oh what a way to go!
Old 8th November 2018, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
Yea fook em all. We'll die happy in a bathtub of twiglets and monster munch rock n roll
As long as you dont have a cheap Sausage Roll from Greggs as well!!!!

If so, then its off to the Workhouse with you......
Old 8th November 2018, 21:16

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by far north
As long as you dont have a cheap Sausage Roll from Greggs as well!!!!

If so, then its off to the Workhouse with you......
I blend them first and inject it intravenously like...hits the bloodstream quicker...I'd change my ways but damn it's a great life
Old 8th November 2018, 21:21

Several people have quoted my post, cheers. Why are such drastic cuts being made if people haven't taken advantage of the benefits system.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:24

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
^ followed by a snort of crushed up quavers and wotsits you have to get your buzz going somehow with life on the dole.
I hear you. I made a bong from a Pringles tube. Tremendous. Pink floyd never sounded so salty
Old 8th November 2018, 21:25

Quote:
I blend them first and inject it intravenously like...hits the bloodstream quicker...I'd change my ways but damn it's a great life
Thats nothing, apparently there are people on here who (wait for it) eat desserts too!!!!!
Some even been known to eat the occasional slice of Corned Beef as well !!!!

No wonder all those "Hard Working" Tories out there are up in arms when they here such stories, of luxury and opulence in the Worlds 6th Richest Country.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:30

Quote:
^^ I've an empty Pringles tube beside me i could use.
Though I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to talk about stuff like that now cos I don't work
Haha

You're okay but I am just wondering what flavour they are.
Old 8th November 2018, 21:31

Quote:
I hear you. I made a bong from a Pringles tube. Tremendous. Pink floyd never sounded so salty
Never mind making a bong out of A Pringles tube, there are folk out there, who would like to see people made to LIVE in a Pringles Tube.

And count themselves lucky at that.....!!!
Old 8th November 2018, 21:31

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by far north
Thats nothing, apparently there are people on here who (wait for it) eat desserts too!!!!!
Some even been known to eat the occasional slice of Corned Beef as well !!!!

No wonder all those "Hard Working" Tories out there are up in arms when they here such stories, of luxury and opulence in the Worlds 6th Richest Country.
Corned beef!?...fetch me my lynchin rope...

Quote:
^^ I've an empty Pringles tube beside me i could use.
Though I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to talk about stuff like that now cos I don't work
Best not or you'll be dragged off in the dead of night by the potato gestapo!
Old 8th November 2018, 21:34

Quote:
Haha

You're okay but I am just wondering what flavour they are.
Lets hope that it was just "Original"

If it turns out to be Salt And vinegar or (heaven Forbid) Cheese and Onion, theres going to be fury.......
Old 8th November 2018, 23:07

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Several people have quoted my post, cheers. Why are such drastic cuts being made if people haven't taken advantage of the benefits system.
The cuts that are happening in the benefits system right now go way beyond stopping the small number of people who previously took advantage. You've probably seen the couple of articles I linked in the basement.
Old 9th November 2018, 04:40

^ Yes and it's the people that abuse the benefits system that I have a problem with.