SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th March 2012, 03:54

Mood
Cold

Default How much water do you drink daily?

So I'm curious on this one. Drinking again is something I struggle with. I never get that 'I need to drink' urge or whatever it is. I do get thirsty however I can't bring myself to drink when I am thirsty. There is no reason for me not drinking, none what so ever I just struggle with it.

It could be down to the fact that I am so use to having IV's and feeling thirsty which is why I struggle to drink as I don't see the danger. I drink enough to not die but barely enough to live. I'm actually quite surprised I don't have more health problems because of it but all I really have is postural hypertension (basically I can pass out when I stand up), get migraines/headaches and feel light headed sometimes.

I recently brought flavoured soda water (I can't drink juce) and that has helped increase the amount I drink however for the whole day today I haven't even been able to finnish a 1 litre bottle!! It isn't just water, it is any sort of fluids.

So I'm curious as to how much you all drink daily? Do you find some things harder to drink than others? And how long does it take for you to drink the amount consumed?
Old 24th March 2012, 04:19

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: How much water do you drink daily?

3-4 cups of coffee

..thats about all i drink all day, i know its not enough as my lips are always cracking and bleeding..but the few times i force myself to drink more i find myself downing pints of juice or milk then i still end up being even more thirsty!

i suppose the nature of coffee means im more inclined to drink it quickly before it gets cold! but if i ever (rarely) drink water it ends up in a cup on my desk for about 3 weeks untouched
Old 24th March 2012, 04:34

Mood
Cold

That is actually quite interesting and I can imagine in the long run you end up with less than you started. Coffee is a diuretic which means you will basically piss it all out and more. It is used as a cleanser for this exact reason. You probably know all this already but hey.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who drinks so little.
Old 24th March 2012, 07:56

I drink a few large glasses of water + sometimes a cup of fruit/herbal tea + sometimes make homemade juices. I rarely drink anything other than water because I don't really like fizzy drinks and most juices (too sweet/just sugar) and I'm allergic to caffeine so no tea/coffee.

I have phases where I don't drink enough/don't feel like drinking water, but I try to force myself as it makes a big difference with how I feel and my skin looks a lot better.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by empathy
That is actually quite interesting and I can imagine in the long run you end up with less than you started. Coffee is a diuretic which means you will basically piss it all out and more.
I think that's a problem for me. I need at least a couple of coffees to get going each morning, but after that, anything I drink for the rest of the day goes straight through, so I'm probably dehydrated most of the time. Which is bad for all sorts of reasons apparently. The thought of having to give coffee up is very depressing though.

To answer the question though, several cups of water each afternoon.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:49

I normally only drink water when i get thirsty but that's too late really, so i've been making an effort to drink water more frequently to keep me hydrated. Usually I just have one cup of coffee a day and that seems enough for me.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:09

Mood
Breezy

1.5 litres, sometimes more. If I do exercise then it might be nearer 3 litres.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:42
Banned

Mood
Angelic

I drink a LOT, I've no idea how much exactly but I always have a bottle next to me, Im drinking some right now actually.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:28

Mood
Fine

not much, a few sips a day. used to be a lot better but i don't care as much any more :/
i d't drink much of anything.
Old 24th March 2012, 13:17

There was a scientist on the radio a while back saying they now recognise that tea/coffee does have a hydrating effect, just a bit less than pure water. I you think about it, it must do.

I rarely drink water. Normal day for me - 4 coffees, 2 teas, 1 fruit juice. I feel that's perfectly healthy
Old 24th March 2012, 13:26

Mood
Happy

During the week around 5 glasses of water during exercise, and 3 or 4 cordial drinks dotted around the rest of the day.
Old 24th March 2012, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
There was a scientist on the radio a while back saying they now recognise that tea/coffee does have a hydrating effect, just a bit less than pure water. I you think about it, it must do.
Ye, that argument seemed a bit disingenuous to me. They seemed to be saying that the moment after you drink a mug of coffee, there's more liquid inside you than there was before. True, but not really the point? Looking at the longer term situation, I'm pretty sure someone who is susceptible to the diuretic effect of coffee will be more dehydrated after a coffee and two cups of water than they would be after two cups of water alone. Coffee definitely makes me feel like more is coming out than went in
Old 24th March 2012, 14:22

Mood
Torn

Drink lots of water (with Robinsons lemon). I drink, say, one coffee a day but the smell is more seduction, I find, than the taste!

Best

Theo
Old 24th March 2012, 15:18

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by empathy
That is actually quite interesting and I can imagine in the long run you end up with less than you started. Coffee is a diuretic which means you will basically piss it all out and more. It is used as a cleanser for this exact reason. You probably know all this already but hey.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who drinks so little.
I think a lot of people drink less than were suppose to!

As i say i feel "better" or less thirsty if i only drink a few coffees, id be perfectly fine if it wasnt for my cracked/bleeding lips i should probably buy some balm stuff..

I've "only" drank coffee or energy drinks for about 4-5 years now, before that i used to only drink water because my kidneys are a bit..messed up, ive come to the conclusion they are going to moan about whatever liquid i consume so id rather drink something i like
Old 24th March 2012, 17:45
Banned

Good reminder to drink more.
Only about a litre and a half.
too much coffee/tea.
Old 24th March 2012, 18:23
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

4-5 glasses of low cal squash,1-2 glasses of water,2 coffees. Still get days when i can't quench my thirst and feel headachey and nauseous
Old 24th March 2012, 20:13

Mood
Bored

6-7 glasses, and probably quite a bit from food and other drinks as well.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:04

Mood
Cold

I love threads like this that get so many responses. It helps me see all the diversity in the world and I like that. I love seeing what may be for one person may not be for another. I'm sorry if people start hating my threads but I love to see the difference between us all.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:56
davehedgehog

this much
Old 24th March 2012, 23:21

Mood
Sunshine

I have around 5-8 glasses of squash. I don't drink coffee or tea, they say caffeine is bad for anxiety. I have the odd hot chocolate here and there.
Old 24th March 2012, 23:28

I don't drink water, but I have maybe 10 cups of tea or coffee in a day, plus occassionally a pint or 2 of squash.
Old 24th March 2012, 23:33

Mood
Bookworm

1 at most I drink tea a lot, which I'm told is worth like half a glass of water. Though coffee for some reason is dehydrating? Anyway, not enough.
Old 25th March 2012, 00:52

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-moving-lines
1 at most I drink tea a lot, which I'm told is worth like half a glass of water. Though coffee for some reason is dehydrating? Anyway, not enough.
Yep, caffeine is a diuretic. When I spend an evening at my friend's place we get through a few coffees, and I end up running the loo about 7 times in the evening. Basically, I end up losing more fluid than I'm taking in.

I believe Green Tea is also a natural diuretic. I know there is caffeine in ordinary tea, too, and it's a mild diuretic.

I do drink a lot of water in the spring and summer, but less so in autumn and winter. I love cold Caladonian Spring bottled water and can get through a fair bit of it.

It's well worth getting hydration right, because dehydration does have implications in anxiety and depression.

There are lots of links to articles on that out there on the internet. This being a random one I've just pulled.

http://panicgoodbye.com/blog/anxiety...c-attacks.html
Old 25th March 2012, 01:54

Mood
Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobazaw
this much
Ah hah so your to blame for the drought!!!
Old 25th March 2012, 01:59

Mood
Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
Yep, caffeine is a diuretic. When I spend an evening at my friend's place we get through a few coffees, and I end up running the loo about 7 times in the evening. Basically, I end up losing more fluid than I'm taking in.

I believe Green Tea is also a natural diuretic. I know there is caffeine in ordinary tea, too, and it's a mild diuretic.

I do drink a lot of water in the spring and summer, but less so in autumn and winter. I love cold Caladonian Spring bottled water and can get through a fair bit of it.

It's well worth getting hydration right, because dehydration does have implications in anxiety and depression.

There are lots of links to articles on that out there on the internet. This being a random one I've just pulled.

http://panicgoodbye.com/blog/anxiety...c-attacks.html
Coffee and green tea are great for the metabolism too but yeah I totally agree, the balance of hydration has to be just right, it's something that I believe should be checked on regularly especially as something so small can have devastating affects.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:48

Mood
Mellow

4-6 pints
Old 25th March 2012, 14:37

Mood
Cold

I'm surprised as to how many people drink coffee. I always hated the taste of coffee and never was allowed to drink it as a kid so naturally hated it. I started drinking it a few months back to speed my metabolism and loose weight. I don't drink it anymore as I'm not actively obsessive about my weight. But yeah surprising to see the amount of coffee drinkers.
Old 25th March 2012, 16:08

Mood
Bookworm

^ same here, despised the taste as a child, though now I love it. Everyone says caffeine makes anxiety worse, but it's also good for lifting your mood and making you feel a bit better if you're depressed, so on balance it's worth it if you ask me!
Old 25th March 2012, 16:21

Mood
Alienated

cant say it does anything for me anymore

positive or negative, or at least it certainly doesnt feel like it

Before my last few years of drinking nothing but coffee, like i said i Only drank water because of my kidney issues..i certainly didnt feel any better, or worse compared to coffee (considering coffee got me entirely through my first uni and mmo days when i only had 2-3hrs sleep at Best i suspect im used to it)

Id say its quite a big part in my life not quite hobby/interest level..but i do have a fairly large coffee/espresso machine and when i had a job and had some money (sigh) i used to go to tesco's every few days and buy a different flavour of filter stuff, ive also tried grinding my own flavours of bean

now im a poor tramp however, so its just tesco's own you stick in a cup and water out the kettle

I'm never giving coffee up, i see no reason to i just wish i could afford to sample the better ones again
Old 25th March 2012, 17:38

Mood
Bookworm

^ I've got a grinder too, it makes awesome, rich, flavoursome coffee A bag of beans is only a few quid and gives you what, like, 20 cups? which is a hell of a lot better than going to starbucks and paying that for one cup. Trying to justify the indulgence to myself lol

I don't feel the mood effect as much as I used to either. Instant coffee has little effect nowadays, it takes like 3 scoops of ground espresso beans to have any effect now

I think there's actually a study that says caffeine can help depressive people lift their moods a little. I might have imagined that but I think it exist?