SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th January 2006, 23:37

Mood
Happy

Unhappy Time to quit? - Advice needed.

Old 26th January 2006, 00:24
crazyfairyx

Default Re: Time to quit? - Advice needed.

Wow that sounds like a horrible place to work, can't you look for somewhere better to work, and try to stick it out there in the mean time? If working there is damaging your recovery from SA then it's probably not worth it. The last thing you need is to end up feeling worse than you did before you started getting better.

Hope everything works out for the best.
Old 26th January 2006, 02:58

Mood
Notamused

Sounds bloody awful, maybe time to look for a new job. Maybe it’s worth asking, do you think things will be any better at another job though?

“Yesterday lunchtime, I had a very strange experience of paranoia......I thought everyone was staring and laughing at me, whenever I looked up from the pavement.”

Yeah I know that one!

I can’t really think of any peals of wisdom but hope things get better for you soon.
Old 26th January 2006, 04:45

If it's not helping you, and only getting you down, then I'd suggest you think about leaving.

It isn't as simple as that though, is it? I'm sure there are other factors you'll have to think about.

Talk to your family, search the job pages for a suitable replacement and stick it out until you find one. If you don't, and the situation continues as it is, then I'd suggest you try and be brave and initiate a conversation, or talk to your workmates about the atmosphere. I know it will be difficult though.

Alternatively, do you like the idea of people pressuring you to quit your job and throw your life in to potential chaos? Ideally, they shouldn't be able to exert that control.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:06

Mood
Inspired

i think its the stress of the job which is magnifying all your other "problems". if you can realise this and hang in until youve got more used to the job I think you will get back to the level of progress that you were previously at . If you give up the job you will lose many "points" on your self esteem scale and take longer to get back to where you were.
Old 26th January 2006, 11:36

This job seems to be the cause of these problems. It also seems that the source of your SA comes from depression. I would consider changing jobs, just looking for a new one while your there may make you feel happier. I was once really depressed in a job, but treating my depression made it feel better but it wasnt until I quit it that I realised that the actual job was a big cause of SA.
I wish you the best for the future, sometimes experiances like this help us realise that some jobs arent as bad as we think when we compare them to ones like these.
Old 26th January 2006, 20:02

I'd agree. Sounds like staying on at this job could end up doing more harm than good. It is only a job - your health and well being are more important. You'll find summit else more suitable when you're ready. May be a case that it was a little too much so soon after your therapy, but equally sounds like the place is just hell anyway. Don't be too hard on yourself - anyone would find it difficult striking up conversations with people in what sounds like a downright unfriendly atmosphere - especially someone who's just started.
Old 26th January 2006, 20:27

Environment is very important. I have just quit university after 5 years and less than a year to go. I was getting the best marks I have ever got but I was regressing and the subject wasn't really me anymore. I don't have a piece of paper for those five years but I don't regret it.
Old 28th January 2006, 11:44

I wouldn't mention the ill health - it's not really any of their business. A lot of places do like to know why people wish to leave their company, though. Nothing to worry about, really - you could tell them anything, 'not working out', 'found a different job', 'going travelling/studying', 'changing career', etc
Even if they do try to persuade you to stay - if you've made your mind up to leave, then that's that!

Best of luck with it
Closed Thread