Also just found this article about going beyond comfort zones:
http://www.wayofninja.com/comfort-zo.../#.XUnMi-hKjIU
Old 8th August 2019, 15:32

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: SA and Learning Self Defence/Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
I think krav maga is a bit of joke to be honest.
Yeah, it is a bit overrated.
Old 12th August 2019, 22:03

Quote:
You want to do something with active sparring.

Otherwise you won't be at all ready if something does go down.

Plus you'll never know if its real or not, if you haven't at least tried it during sparring.

If you don't mind getting hit in the head they try boxing or muay thai.

If you want to spar hard but don't like getting hit, then try Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I think sparing is essential for self defense as not only does it let you pressure test your skills, but it gets you used to the feeling of being dominated by another person.

I agree with this. I have nothing against, say, karate. On the contrary, if you are attacked by a drunken idiot it'll come in very handy. Any kind of martial art is better than nothing. But whether you want to learn self-defence, or just boost your confidence, you really need to spar. I took up boxing in my late 30s, and walking through that door was the bravest thing I've ever done. I went to a couple of different places for around a year. I never had any proper fights, but I did do a bit of sparring. The first time someone comes at you, gloves up and focussed on smashing you in the face, it's a hell of a shock. I just stood there!In fact, I almost said "what, are we actually supposed to hit each other?"

If you want to defend yourself, you have to learn to punch someone - and then to actually do it, while they try and punch you. Things like judo, wrestling and BJJ are all effective, but what if you use it on the street and the other guy gets up and swings at you? People who've sparred are over the shock of being hit. Not that I'm recommending you use this stuff for real btw. Do that and there's the danger you'll kill someone (christ knows what damage some of those instructors I had could do). Then again, it's no good learning to punch if someone grabs you and wrestles you to the ground. I suppose the best thing would be to go to both a boxing AND judo.

My friend has just signed up for white collar boxing. He's been coming over and I've been teaching him the basics (or what I can remember). Yesterday we bought some headguards and did some proper sparring. I've got a painful bruise across the top of my nose as I type this! His instructor told him that around a third of people who sign up drop out. And even on the night a lot of them quit after the first round. It really does take some nerve to be hit and yet keep going. Even with gloves it really hurts.
Old 12th August 2019, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
My advice is to get yourself down to a local Boxing or Thai Boxing gym and perhaps, if you can, a Judo class along side it.
I agree. If I was in my teens (and free of SA), I'd take up kickboxing and judo. That way you've got everything covered: you can punch, kick, wrestle, throw and hold. I suppose the ultimate would be MMA. Those guys are like ****ing gods in martial arts gyms. Still, hats off to them. They really are hard cases.
Old 13th August 2019, 18:24

Quote:
Don't forget bjj so you can survive on the ground!
I think judo covers ground holds, doesn't it? I did it for a couple of years as a kid. I'd quite like to take it up again, but at 42 I'm probably too old.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:23

Mood
Breezy

^Judo does cover some basic ground work. Not to the same extent as BJJ. Interestingly BJJ developed from Judo, despite them being different.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:24

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
I agree. If I was in my teens (and free of SA), I'd take up kickboxing and judo. That way you've got everything covered: you can punch, kick, wrestle, throw and hold. I suppose the ultimate would be MMA. Those guys are like ****ing gods in martial arts gyms. Still, hats off to them. They really are hard cases.
In that situation I'd take up Thai and Judo, that way you've got elbows and knees thrown in for good measure.
Old 16th August 2019, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
I think judo covers ground holds, doesn't it? I did it for a couple of years as a kid. I'd quite like to take it up again, but at 42 I'm probably too old.
I did judo for a year at college when I was 18, it was kinda fun.
Old 14th September 2019, 16:48

Is 42 too old to take up judo or BJJ do you think? I already go boxing, so I know how to throw a punch and how to slip one. I just need to learn to throw, wrestle, hold, etc.
Old 18th September 2019, 15:08

Hi guys,

It's been interesting reading this thread, lots of info!

Martial arts/boxing etc has been something that has popped in and out of my head for years. They seem like a great way to build self confidence and stay in shape.

I have a question, as someone who doesn't work out, or have a particularly active life style (my job is practical, but doesn't really require stamina). Would it be necessary to get more in shape first, before taking lessons?
Old 4th October 2019, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBear
Hi guys,

Martial arts/boxing etc has been something that has popped in and out of my head for years. They seem like a great way to build self confidence and stay in shape.

I have a question, as someone who doesn't work out, or have a particularly active life style (my job is practical, but doesn't really require stamina). Would it be necessary to get more in shape first, before taking lessons?
I think some gentle exercise, building up to more vigorous exercise would probably be a good idea before taking lessons.
(Sorry nobody replied to this before. )
Old 5th October 2019, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBear
Hi guys,

Yes, and it shouldn’t take you long. My friend has signed up for a white collar boxing match and has been in training for around 6 weeks. I did a bit of boxing (not seriously, just a bit of sparring) and so I was able to show him the basics. In just under two months he has gone from hopelessly clumsy and awkward to impressively fast and effective. It really doesn’t take long. Oh, and you will meet some of the nicest, friendliest, most easy going people in the world in martial arts gyms. I promise you.