SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th November 2019, 16:47

Default What was the worst period of your life?

I mean the time in which you hit the lowest point?
Old 12th November 2019, 16:58

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: What was the worst period of your life?

Age 13 to 18.
Old 12th November 2019, 17:55

Undergrad years. Though there have been some other bad times.
Old 12th November 2019, 17:59

Mood
Relaxed

From 5-16
Old 12th November 2019, 18:01
Co-Administrator

4 years ago, I would have been 28.
Old 12th November 2019, 18:05

17-21

The end of the school and first part of university were peak depression, self-sabotage, drug misuse and rampant SA.
Old 12th November 2019, 18:14

Probably about 18-19 and then on par was 24-27, but my entire adult life has been nearly entirely misery.
Old 12th November 2019, 19:37

From age 14 to 22. Not actually sure how I made it through it.

This year has strangely been a struggle.
Old 12th November 2019, 19:41

13-16 (low level bullying, hormones, misery and general horror) and 18-23 (SA at its peak, extremely avoidant, and so full of shame I could barely function)

To be honest, the whole of my teens and 20s were awful. Things picked up at around 33. Now, at 42, though I have major problems, am haunted by the past (shame, guilt, regret, etc) and worried about a lonely, childless old age, I feel much better. If I could wipe away the past, and if someone gave me another 100 years in good physical health, I believe I could even be happy. Imagine that!

As for the best periods, the first eight or so years were OK. I was a lonely, slightly neurotic child, but I was loved and safe. Other than that, it's been almost 100% sh*t

I can remember certain moments of intense pain as well, moments in which I could have screamed I was so unhappy. When I was in my late 20s, I did an MA at Kingston and used to divide my time between home and there. I didn't have the nerve to move, so I used to go and spend a couple of nights in bed and breakfasts or cheap hotels. I remember coming home one day and sitting on the train at Waterloo. I felt so awful I just didn't know what to do with myself (trying to quit Paxil cold turkey didn't help). I can vividly remember thinking that I'd go on a chat forum, or see a doctor or something and literally beg for help.
Old 12th November 2019, 20:04

Mood
Alienated

11-16 - terrible secondary school, its how i ended up here in the first place back in the day.

24-26 - Pretty hopeless, no on going education, struggling to find a job, an abrupt end to a relationship losing 2 close people to me, a girlfriend and also my best friend at the time (totally not related I lost 2 people on the same day )

and now, under ridiculous amounts of pressure at work, underpaid, about to crash and burn and have no real life outside of work so I can't even switch off. I come home and just want to sleep.
Old 13th November 2019, 00:14

Mood
Worried

There are too many miserable periods in my life to mention and each one felt horrific at the time it was happening.

I was mostly an unhappy and troubled child, teenager and young adult and the only silver (gold) linings came in the form of my beloved son 16 years ago and then later meeting my now husband.

There will be many more bad times ahead for sure mainly due to failing health in myself and loved ones but such is life. As a kid I used to collect badges and one of them read 'Life's a Bitch and then you die'. Even back then those words made a lot of sense to me
Old 13th November 2019, 10:13

Mood
Lucky

Probably 16 to 22 (and especially 16 to 19) when I left the warm embrace of school and tried to make my own way in the world.
Old 13th November 2019, 11:25

Mood
Melancholy

I would say now. Have always known social anxiety but the hopelessness and sense of failure I experience on a daily basis these days feels beyond what a person can or should live with. I think the only reason I haven’t ended it all by now is an even greater fear of death.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:13

I worry it's in the future.

Secondary school was a nightmare, but I had friends and interests so it was never all bad. I struggled all through my teens and twenties, but always pushed myself into trying different things, so while it was tough there were good elements. 23 was particularly bad, that was when I had come out of a relationship with someone I loved a lot, having lived a nice hippie style life for a few years in Wales, and ended up on benefits, in a run down bedsit, with dodgy characters, with an abusive, unstable boyfriend and all my old friends had decent jobs and cars and were starting to buy houses. I felt quite miserable at that time.

I have had years of being bullied at work through my 30s, but having my children negated that. On balance I have more good than bad most of the time. My life has shrunk to a handful of family members though, over the past few years and that's why I feel my worse times are ahead of me, when my children leave home and I will most likely have to deal with my husband becoming reliant on me, because of his chronic health issues, and passing away before me. I won't have any support network for those times.
Old 13th November 2019, 18:54

Everything after the first nine months.
Old 13th November 2019, 19:16

Mid 20s.
Old 15th November 2019, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
I worry it's in the future.
Same here. I don't think there has ever been a good period, and I can't say I have ever been happy. There have just been varying degrees of awfulness. My teens and early twenties were probably the worst, but that doesn't mean my 30s, or even my childhood, was great. They were just less bad. Thankfully, I'm pretty numb now and don't feel much any more. I don't think I was properly wired up. I'm too neurotic, too sensitive, too disconnected, anxious, withdrawn and melancholic for this world. I never wanted to be here.

But I suspect all the misery and pain of the last 40-odd years were a walk in the park compared to what lies ahead. First, I am going to have to watch my mother die. Obviously that won't be quick (it never is). Instead, it will be preceded by months, maybe even years, of suffering. A few more decades of ***t, soul destroying work in teaching (which I hate and find completely unrewarding - I wanted to be an artist, but I had no talent). Then I will have to face a lonely, childless old age, sat in a bungalow or retirement flat with no one in the world who cares whether I live or die. Then, who knows...cancer? Parkinson's, Alzheimers? Mother Nature has so many little goodies in her bag, who knows what I'll get in the lucky dip. I'm already losing sight in one eye, so maybe blindness also lies in store (there is a history of it in the family). Thank god I never brought kids into this hell.
Old 15th November 2019, 19:59

Mood
Alienated

Probably the first 6 months of university. That was awful. It's the first time I felt truly suicidal I think.

But I feel that I'm moving in to a possibly worse period and it's quite worrying.
Old 15th November 2019, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77
Then I will have to face a lonely, childless old age, sat in a bungalow or retirement flat with no one in the world who cares whether I live or die.

Ditto. Except I'll probably be living on the streets.
Old 15th November 2019, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
Probably the first 6 months of university. That was awful. It's the first time I felt truly suicidal I think.

Ditto.
Old 19th November 2019, 21:26

Mood
Thinking

2004, 2016 and part of this year, all very different but all left me with the same empty feeling and not wanting to be here anymore.