SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th April 2012, 17:23
Banned at own request

Default would u say FB can be an indicator of your relationships with ppl in real life

For me i think it can be.
Most of my facebook friends are ppl from my old school. Some r friends ive only met online though. And some friends ive never met in real life are more likely to respond to my pictures/statuses. My school mates rarely reply to my statuses.
My statuses arent really the most interesting but then i dont think theyre always the most pointless ones either. Ive seen some ppl just write where they are or even what they are eating(no pictures) and yet they get at least a like.
Before i used to be a little upset by this as i felt unwanted but now i think im realising i probably dont get too much attention on fb cause i dont really have any close friends. I used to think i was boring cause i didnt know what to say round ppl but now although my social skills need improving im not really boring its just that ppl at college dont know me well and i dont open up to them.
Old 14th April 2012, 18:02
Banned

Default Re: would u say FB can be an indicator of your relationships with ppl in real life

20 friends on facebook....that's false . I have no "real" friends
Old 14th April 2012, 19:03
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: would u say FB can be an indicator of your relationships with ppl in real life

52 "friends" on FB. All of them, apart from my befriender, either family or via forums/usenet. 3/4 of them i have little or no interaction with .
I have no face to face friends unless i count my befriender .
I struggle to know what to say there as much as i do in 3D and mostly end up posting links which seldom get 'liked' or replied to.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:29

Mood
Happy

20 something on mine, 4 from school & rest from online. the amount of times I speak to my online friends are more like my real friends tbh.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:31
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca-boo
Yea i think so, i'm very aware that all of my pics are me on my own
Hey mines r too.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:42

8 friends on there, half I've never met in real life before and haven't spoke to the others in ages. xD
So to the original thread question, yes it can. :p
Old 14th April 2012, 20:53

Mood
Thinking

For something that's called Social Media, it seems to be very much the opposite. I've actually been thinking about getting rid of it again as I often feel more lonely visiting there than any other site.
As to the original question, yes, social interactions on FB mirrored in RL
Old 14th April 2012, 21:38

80 friends from school, work and uni, as well as a couple of people who added me thinking I was someone else who I've kept on there to make up the numbers (Thats quite ridiculous, right?). When I update my status I usually get 1 like and occasionally a comment from the same person every time (some guy from school, I occasionally used to go for a drink with him, only when I suggested it though. Havn't bothered since about September).

Very occasionally I'll get something from 1 or 2 other people but only when I write something that's damn funny or clever.

Sometimes I'll think of something that I think is great and I'll think this is sure to get me some attention. Then I'm disappointed when it doesn't. I'm a ridiculous human being.
Old 14th April 2012, 22:50

Mood
Confused

Yep. I was thinking of getting hid of my account a few days ago but then i realised that i'm just to darn nosey. I Look at people's pic's then get upset because they are on a night out or getting married, having kids ect. I don't know why i do it to myself.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:59

I think I have 100+ friends on FB but they are mostly people who went to school with me who I never even talked to. When I first joined the site I just said yes to all invitations from people making up their numbers by adding everyone in their year from school (why do people do that?!) I never leave statuses anymore, but sometimes share links. I have to check with my boyfriend first though to check that nothing I say is "weird". I'm always terrified using the internet to say things that others might judge. I find it easier when I can see their faces because then I get an immediate indicator from their expression whether or not I'm doing ok. When it's on the internet there's too much uncertainty for me. So I don't really post anymore.

I get what others are saying about seeing other people living and not feeling like you're doing it yourself. I'm not planning to get married or have kids for a number of years yet - I'm 25 - although some friends are doing that sort of stuff. The ones I'm jealous of are those who are going on nights out with friends of the same sex. I only really hang around with my boyfriend and my brother and one girl who isn't always around (very busy) and who doesn't realise she's the only person I hang out with :-/ I can get very frustrated seeing people I grew up out being young instead of sitting inside avoiding the housework!
Old 16th April 2012, 10:11

I've got about 17 on fb. A fairly good indicator. I resisted going on for quite a while because I knew it would be embarrassing. But to combat SA I said - damn it I'll go on anyway and not think about what others might think.
And yes, I get jealous of seeing others up to loads of stuff.
Old 17th April 2012, 00:00

Mood
Shocked

I tend to be more confident online then in real life - so will respond to other people's stati (usually just liking something funnny, or getting into debates on group pages where I don't know anyone there).

However I only have people I have met in real life as fb friends - and when I say "met", it's usually we said hello once - years ago - so only a very few close friends respond to my stati every so often, although to be fair my wall is mainly just a collection of links to news articles these days.

Pictures are mainly family or the odd formal one from school.
Old 17th April 2012, 00:25

Annoyingly, my SA has also crept into my internet life, so I'm a little less anxious on the internet than in real life, so even though I often go on Facebook, I rarely 'like', comment or write a status update.

I have 145 'friends', mostly aquaintances from secondary school, sixth form, and uni. I had a 'friend' clear out recently, and got rid of people I didn't like which brought the numbers down quite a lot . The friends remaining are people who I would consider nice people, and not neccessarily people I talked to much. I can count my true friends on one hand.
Old 17th April 2012, 02:30

Mood
Doh

I dread every friend request. Old friends always want to meet up & catch up. I dont, i set my profile to complete private lol.
Old 18th April 2012, 04:33

i have about 1000+ fb frioends lol,but that was only because you needed them to play certain games,so i dont know most probably 50-60 family/friends/ppl from school.
Old 18th April 2012, 06:32

I don't think you should view it that way. It's just facebook. Some of my friends actually tell me to like there links etc. Ones that don't have Sa. Plus your can hide your friend list. Liking other people stuff usually sees them liking your stuff more too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5BEo8DeDMY

To many people view facebook as a competition.