SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th February 2024, 08:54

Default Re: The ASD thread (Autism Spectrum Disorder)

What if humans are ableist?

Old 28th February 2024, 20:50

^ that's really interesting to think about. Body language has always been something I've struggled with and I feel physically awkward like I don't know what to do with my hands. Over time, I've found ways to cover it up - like fiddling with a pen or one of those coiled hairbands, or having a drink in my hand. Although the amount of times I've poured a cup of tea into my lap or at someone because I forget it's in my hand... haha

But I think my fiddling draws attention to me.

But yes, all the body language advice it's very difficult to follow because it feels so robotic and contrived - in my own experience!
Old 4th March 2024, 14:17

Mood
Cynical

This is interesting. I can't help but think that the amount of supporting evidence from medical professionals/teachers/mental health professionals etc and from family members and childhood school reports someone is able to provide must affect the assessment process and outcome.

"Some NHS centres twice as likely to diagnose adults as autistic, study finds"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ic-study-finds
Old 4th March 2024, 17:24

^ the nhs assessment I had was a joke I could have sat there and convinced them I was neurotypical or neurodiverse. The questions were so predictable and basic.

Panel of 3 numpties sat opposite me seemed clueless.

I predict in about 10 years time they'll be a huge thing similar to being mis sold ppi "were you misdiagnosed as being autistic by the nhs...you could be due thousands in compensation."

Imagine how many kids are being diagnosed as being on the spectrum just so their mum can blag a bigger council house.
Old 4th March 2024, 17:39

Mood
Cynical

^ How long ago were you assessed?

Given the fact that waiting lists are so long right now and people need to provide significant evidence to even be considered for an assessment I don't think it's actually likely that people who aren't autistic will have been diagnosed as such. Especially through the NHS.

I do see there being a problem with ADHD diagnosis sometimes being mistaken when people have other conditions such as CPTSD though.
Old 4th March 2024, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
^ the nhs assessment I had was a joke I could have sat there and convinced them I was neurotypical or neurodiverse. The questions were so predictable and basic.

Panel of 3 numpties sat opposite me seemed clueless.

I predict in about 10 years time they'll be a huge thing similar to being mis sold ppi "were you misdiagnosed as being autistic by the nhs...you could be due thousands in compensation."

Imagine how many kids are being diagnosed as being on the spectrum just so their mum can blag a bigger council house.
I had to wait 4+ years to get assessed and went private because NHS would take forever. I had an old doctor say I couldn't be autistic one say I was depressed but not autistic because I gave too much eye contact.

Quote:
Maybe, this isn't too far fetched. I actually watched a video by someone who has researched autism. I think neurodiversity is gaining awareness but isn't well understood by most people yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pak8Wk2LcBw
Old 4th March 2024, 19:07

^^2020
Old 4th March 2024, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ How long ago were you assessed?

Given the fact that waiting lists are so long right now and people need to provide significant evidence to even be considered for an assessment I don't think it's actually likely that people who aren't autistic will have been diagnosed as such. Especially through the NHS.

I do see there being a problem with ADHD diagnosis sometimes being mistaken when people have other conditions such as CPTSD though.
According to the video I linked autistic people are more susceptible to CPTSD because of how we process information and look at small details rather than the big picture.

But small details, bottom up learning, from experience it seems like I learn things by focusing on the details but when I have learnt it I can focus on both the detail and the big picture. I don't understand the concept well but do think bottom up learning sounds simplified to me.
Old 4th March 2024, 19:18

Mood
Cynical

^^ Ah so not that long ago.
Old 4th March 2024, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara 94
I had to wait 4+ years to get assessed and went private because NHS would take forever. I had an old doctor say I couldn't be autistic one say I was depressed but not autistic because I gave too much eye contact.

]
My gp referred me after a long phone call in which I drove him round the bend. No idea what he put in my referral letter but I got assessed in less than a year.

You need to know how to play the system and what buttons to push.
Old 4th March 2024, 19:27

Mood
Cynical

^ "Patient is very insistent"
Old 4th March 2024, 19:42

^ gp code for get this as$#ole away from my surgery
Old 4th March 2024, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
My gp referred me after a long phone call in which I drove him round the bend. No idea what he put in my referral letter but I got assessed in less than a year.

You need to know how to play the system and what buttons to push.
Yeah I guess so. I think if I had the money I would want to get reassessed to make sure. Although so far the diagnosis hasn’t been for my advantage.
Old 4th March 2024, 20:38

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara 94
According to the video I linked autistic people are more susceptible to CPTSD because of how we process information and look at small details rather than the big picture.

But small details, bottom up learning, from experience it seems like I learn things by focusing on the details but when I have learnt it I can focus on both the detail and the big picture. I don't understand the concept well but do think bottom up learning sounds simplified to me.
Ah i can see how that could be the case, and ofcourse people can have both. It's a very complex thing!
Old 4th March 2024, 23:30

Mood
Cynical

"What's behind the UK's increase in autism diagnoses?"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...neurodiversity
Old 5th March 2024, 09:05

I have thought for a long time that the umbrella term "autism" isn't fit for purpose.
Old 5th March 2024, 09:29

^it doesn't make sense. I understand using the terms neurotypical and neurodiverse they make sense as its just two different ways your brain can be wired. But to automatically dump you into a category of neurodiverse...autistic....therefore disabled is bullshit.

Most of my colleagues are neurotypical and I can run rings round them but I'm the disabled one. I'll use the label to my advantage but it is drivel.
Old 5th March 2024, 10:10

Autism isn't necessarily a disability but a brain difference.

It's a disability if you need to use skills that neurotypicals would be stronger at daily. Maybe we need to understand the brain on a more solid level to understand neurodiversity but then I imagine autism or ADHD would really have so many variations and subcategories.
Old 5th March 2024, 13:42

Mood
Cynical

^ Yes, it's a difference. It can have disabling aspects for some people, it can also have a lot of strengths and positives. That needs to be recognised much more.
Old 7th March 2024, 09:42

The answer to autism overdiagnosis is actually within the first 9 minutes of this video. I’m listening to it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pak8Wk2LcBw
Old 9th March 2024, 16:07

Do you ever find some of your stims funny?

I’ve been running much more. I have ran four days since last Saturday. I think this has made me a bit more aware of how I walk out maybe improved my posture a bit.

As I felt more balance kitchen portering I have began to use my legs more when drying plates and stuff to put in The trolley. I use my legs by balancing on one leg and swaying the plate from the dishwasher to the trolley at the side. I swing my upper body. I don’t really watch martial arts or boxing but it reminds me of a martial artist keeping their rhythm side to side. When I think about it it’s almost like it looks possessive or something.