SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st May 2019, 20:16

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Lesser known autistic traits

Hmm, that guy in the video talks really quickly, hardly leaving a gap,...

Yeah, I had a really bad stutter for all of my teenage years,..which sucked. (Would never have associated this with autism to be honest)
I always liked rocking back and forth, I always found it very comforting, like it was dissipating some kind of restlessness or uneasiness,( think the guy in the video called this "stimming" ?)
Although my school mates just didn't have a clue what I was doing or why I was doing it, lol
I also tended to get VERY into certain subjects I found interested me, and completely dived into them, quickly building up huge collections of stuff and becoming a kind of expert in the subject (s)
Short term memory loss is a relatively recent thing for me, but has had me concerned at times,..

It's funny though,..I do wonder how many non-autistic people found themselves nodding along saying, "yeah, I do that too"?
Old 1st May 2019, 20:20

Mood
Cynical

^ He also has ADHD, that may have something to do with it. But for anyone talking to a camera and then putting the video up on YouTube for people to watch must produce some anxiety I would think, that would make me talk faster too.
Old 1st May 2019, 20:40

Mood
Breezy

ADHD could certainly explain it, I'm notorious for fast talking even when feeling calm and relaxed.
Old 12th August 2019, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I've never got the 'body language ' thing . Is it something most people pick up instinctively , and do in real time? I once had a member of my then local mental health team see me supposedly to help with my anxiety, and lack of self confidence . She was not properly trained. She kept saying I gave off certain signs ie aggressive and defensive, though I was just basically shy and struggling with the way she was approaching things. Basically each session she'd be hypercritical, with me feeling hurt and perplexed.

One day,out of the blue, she blurted out she was a member of a small religious sect. A week or two later I really opened up and wrote a no holds barred letter about how things affected me due to past history. It must have offended her sensibilities as she reported me to my care coordinator.

Next thing I knew she'd taken a break, and wasn't seeing me any more .

This body language/social cues thing, whatever it entails, doesn't come naturally
to me.
What a mess. No wonder I avoid these people. A mh worker told me or implied that I was aggressive when I was in fact scared...
Old 12th August 2019, 09:24
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear
What a mess. No wonder I avoid these people. A mh worker told me or implied that I was aggressive when I was in fact scared...
I was anxious during the sessions with that untrained woman . I think she'd flushed her brains down the toilet.
Old 12th August 2019, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I was anxious during the sessions with that untrained woman . I think she'd flushed her brains down the toilet.
I know what you mean, I’ve encountered some professionals who had flushed their brains away....
Old 13th August 2019, 08:24
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

My stepdaughter has said I'm the clumsiest person she has known. She says I walk like I'm drunk.
Old 13th August 2019, 13:17

Mood
Cynical

^ She certainly speaks her mind doesn't she your step daughter! (I think it's a good thing though, in your situation) Have you ever been assessed for something like Dyspraxia? I believe it's not uncommon for people who made autistic to also have something like that.
Old 13th August 2019, 13:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

It's probable that I'm dyspraxic. It was mentioned in my assessment report , but the primary focus was to see whether I was on the autism spectrum or not . It was said in the report that the clumsiness,bumping into things,poor fine and gross motor control, being disorganised and sometimes being confused with information given to me were some traits I have that are indicative of dyspraxia.

I fit fine motor,gross motor,ideotional,constructional, ? ideomotor and visual