SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th July 2016, 11:54

Default Taking Diazepam short-term

I've been on Fluoxetine for three weeks and it's been a pretty rough ride. The first two weeks I had terrible nausea and could hardly bear eating, but that's since eased up, although I still have no appetite and it's an effort to eat. What's stuck with me though is this very high level of anxiety and regular panic attacks. I know that's an expected side effect while your body's getting used to the drug, but it's hard to cope with, especially as I needed to get on medication in the first place because the anxiety was getting so bad.

I was talking to my support worker yesterday about Diazepam, and how the doctors I've seen have been really reluctant to prescribe me any. They seem to treat it very seriously and say once you're on it it's a nightmare to come off again. I know it's something not to be taken lightly, but how true is that in the short term? Could you really become hooked if you just took it for a week or two? I have an appointment next Thursday, and my support worker said he'd press the issue with my doctor as he doesn't think it's dangerous to take it for a short period while I'm dealing with the Fluoxetine side effects, and he understands how awful a time I've been having the last couple of months (I haven't felt this bad in over a decade)

Was wondering, does anyone have any experience with taking Diazepam? Are there any dangers in taking it just for a week or two, any withdrawal after such a short time on it? I'm really conflicted as I don't want to make my problems worse, but I'm getting pretty desperate for something to help me get by until the Fluoxetine starts making me feel better rather than worse.
Old 28th July 2016, 15:08

Default Re: Taking Diazepam short-term

Diazepam has a long half life 200+ hrs so it stays in your body longer. Compare that to Alprozolam or Etizolam which have very short half lifes 4 -6 hrs which means its in and out fast. All this means is that you are less likely to get hooked on Diazepam compared to the other two, however once/if you do get hooked not only will the withdrawel be worse but you won't even realise until after a couple of weeks once all the drug is out your system.

If you're addiction prone stick with Diazepam for short term only, thats only if you can't bear the anxiety for a couple more days as it passes.

However the mother of all Benzodiazepines is Alprozolam but it has the shortest half life and the worst withdrawels... they also don't prescribe it on the NHS.

My personal advice wouod be to ditch the pills even the anti depressants you're on as although you may not feel it straight (takes about month) they too will have nasty withdrawel effects once you try coming off them. Just make sure you taper off them properely and things should be fine.
Old 28th July 2016, 15:42

Mood
Innocent

My doctor give me about 14 tablets of a low dosage but they just make me feel really drowsy. The doctors also let my propranolol before that, but it made me feel dizzy and I had blurred vision.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:17

@Stotch: That's interesting to know, about how long the different kinds stay in your system. When it comes to an addiction to Diazepam, what sort of time on them are we talking about? Would you have to be on them for a sustained period for addiction to be a danger, or could you get hooked almost immediately (i.e. within a week or two)?

Unfortunately coming off medication entirely isn't really an option. I came off Paroxetine last Autumn time and although there were times when I felt in control and like I was 'myself' finally, there were just as many times when I was very depressed, self-harming too much, obsessive and intrusive thoughts, and it's culminated in one of the worst periods of my life. I want to minimise what I take to get by long term, but I'm resigning myself to having to at least take something. I'd rather be on anti-depressants for life than go through this again.

@Bluefairy: Did they at least take away the anxiety along with making you drowsy? Did you have any trouble when you stopped taking them? I tried Propranolol too but had to stop as it made me feel the same, dizzy and light headed, which is quite a major trigger for panic attacks for me.
Old 28th July 2016, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
I've been on Fluoxetine for three weeks and it's been a pretty rough ride. The first two weeks I had terrible nausea and could hardly bear eating, but that's since eased up, although I still have no appetite and it's an effort to eat. What's stuck with me though is this very high level of anxiety and regular panic attacks. I know that's an expected side effect while your body's getting used to the drug, but it's hard to cope with, especially as I needed to get on medication in the first place because the anxiety was getting so bad.

I was talking to my support worker yesterday about Diazepam, and how the doctors I've seen have been really reluctant to prescribe me any. They seem to treat it very seriously and say once you're on it it's a nightmare to come off again. I know it's something not to be taken lightly, but how true is that in the short term? Could you really become hooked if you just took it for a week or two? I have an appointment next Thursday, and my support worker said he'd press the issue with my doctor as he doesn't think it's dangerous to take it for a short period while I'm dealing with the Fluoxetine side effects, and he understands how awful a time I've been having the last couple of months (I haven't felt this bad in over a decade)

Was wondering, does anyone have any experience with taking Diazepam?
Are there any dangers in taking it just for a week or two, any withdrawal after such a short time on it? I'm really conflicted as I don't want to make my problems worse, but I'm getting pretty desperate for something to help me get by until the Fluoxetine starts making me feel better rather than worse.
The trouble with Valium/Diazepam, is that it's highly addictive. I take 3 x5mg per day, if you're only taking it for short term, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stotch
Etizolam
Oh, how I miss that, I was almost anxiety free.
Old 28th July 2016, 19:42

Mood
Bashful

You are advised to take it for a maximum of 4 weeks. I used to take it as and when, but it is highly addictive so I wouldn't these days. After 2 weeks or so I doubt you'd have any long-term problems just give your doctor your story of why you think you'd benefit and I'd bet they'd presribe it for such a short time.
Old 29th July 2016, 13:21

It's reassuring to know that a short course of it shouldn't be harmful. Really I just want something to tide me over until I feel the benefits of the Fluoxetine. If they just gave me a week's worth, well, that'd be a week less of feeling this crap.
Old 30th July 2016, 12:53

I find Diazepam to be a short term fix that can often cause increased anxiety when coming off. This can potentially make people dependent on it and it can be very difficult to come off if you are addicted.

Have you tried an antidepressant for anxiety also? I'm taking 50mg Sertraline and I find it has a calming effect similar to Diazepam but it lasts and is non-addictive. It has helped my social anxiety only slightly, but I do feel really calm. On Fluoxetine I felt more confident but the actual feeling of anxiety and panic was worse, particularly when increasing the dose.
Old 1st August 2016, 01:03

Quote:
@Stotch: That's interesting to know, about how long the different kinds stay in your system. When it comes to an addiction to Diazepam, what sort of time on them are we talking about? Would you have to be on them for a sustained period for addiction to be a danger, or could you get hooked almost immediately (i.e. within a week or two)?
It depends if you are prone to psychological addiction, that will occur long before you become physically addicted. The withdrawal is apparently worse than Heroin withdrawal.

The problem is these drugs work so well too welk infact (or you believe them to) that its easy to become psychologically addicted.

Also remember Doctors won't prescribe you them not because they won't work but because they'd fear being sued or held responsible for turning a patient into an addict, like in the late 90s. Its a shame because they do work so well and are much safer than Barbiturates.

So yea you can get hooked on the first time, but your body won't get hooked unless you dose frequently for over a month. Thats a ball park figure, the Docs won't prescribe it longer than 2 weeks and you have little chance of getting a prescription if you're under 30 or even a hint of being a potential drug abuser. You can't blame them really they're only trying to keep their jobs and they are right by making therapy a mandatory first option before consider medication.
Old 9th December 2016, 20:35

Mood
Thinking

Quote:

Unfortunately coming off medication entirely isn't really an option. I came off Paroxetine last Autumn time and although there were times when I felt in control and like I was 'myself' finally, there were just as many times when I was very depressed, self-harming too much, obsessive and intrusive thoughts, and it's culminated in one of the worst periods of my life. I want to minimise what I take to get by long term, but I'm resigning myself to having to at least take something. I'd rather be on anti-depressants for life than go through this again.

@Bluefairy: Did they at least take away the anxiety along with making you drowsy? Did you have any trouble when you stopped taking them? I tried Propranolol too but had to stop as it made me feel the same, dizzy and light headed, which is quite a major trigger for panic attacks for me.
i changed from sertraline to fluxotine. i persevered with it for 7 weeks and got worse. i couldnt eat and that made the anxiety worse. i had nausea and intrusive thoughts. i went to my gp and she said i had persevered with them long enough. they didnt suit me and went back on my old anti-depressants. i am on diazepam and it didnt relieve the awful experiece. this my experience and shouldnt influence any one else. thats your gps job

Last edited by bernif; 9th December 2016 at 20:36. Reason: add more
Old 9th December 2016, 20:37

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernif
i changed from sertraline to fluxotine. i persevered with it for 7 weeks and got worse. i couldnt eat and that made the anxiety worse. i had nausea and intrusive thoughts. i went to my gp and she said i had persevered with them long enough. they didnt suit me and went back on my old anti-depressants. i am on diazepam and it didnt relieve the awful experiece. this my experience and shouldnt influence any one else. thats your gps job
i am back to normal now .i wish you well
Old 13th December 2016, 01:10

Mood
Fine

Yo. Its 20 hours not 200 for diazepam. It will make you feel depressed then stop working at all.

Dont mess with any psychoactive drugs. Your brain is finely balanced by mother nature. Your life experiences and genes make you prone to certain ways.

It should be fixed yourself with the help of a mentor, therapist or self help books. Drugs give you a chemical imbalance.

On a separete note to the OP, January 4th for Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia new season!- that is the best anti depressant in my life.
Old 13th December 2016, 14:14

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat999
Drugs give you a chemical imbalance.
I always thought that drugs could be used to correct a chemical imbalance occuring naturally in the brain.
Old 13th December 2016, 15:39

Wow, this thread's reminded me I've been on Fluoxetine for 5 months already

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernif
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Fluoxetine. I felt pretty awful on it too, had terrible nausea so struggled to eat, and my anxiety only increased, but that got better with time and tweaking the dose. Not sure I could've lasted longer than 7 weeks like that though, so I understand wanting to switch back. How do you get on with Sertraline? I've never tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat999
Dont mess with any psychoactive drugs. Your brain is finely balanced by mother nature. Your life experiences and genes make you prone to certain ways.

It should be fixed yourself with the help of a mentor, therapist or self help books. Drugs give you a chemical imbalance.
I wanted to believe I was strong enough to get by without drugs and learn to cope with life more naturally, but it turned out I wasn't. Now I'd rather run the risk of whatever effects the medication has on my brain long-term than live life without it.

I'm actually several seasons behind on It's Always Sunny, but good news on the new season, all the more to catch up on
Old 15th December 2016, 23:00

Mood
Fine

Oh you are so lucky to be behind on Its Always Sunny. I have seen them 5 times and 10-15 times for the first ones.

Some people will have a chemical imbalance, there is an exception to every rule. But what this psychiatrist says made me realize the truth. Like why American kids who are all on something shoot up their schools.
https://youtu.be/ARZ2Wv2BoFs