SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th November 2014, 23:36

Mood
Bashful

Default Have you ever sene a psychologist?

And what is your opinion of psychology or psychologists?
Old 25th November 2014, 23:39

Mood
Bashful

Default Re: Have you ever sene a psychologist?

Scene obviously
Old 25th November 2014, 23:41

No. Well, I saw one when I was at school ot the age of about thirteen or fourteen, because I never went to school. But of course that meant I never saw the shrink until she came to my house. Then I just told her stuff that didn't make me sound like such a dead loss.

But as an adult - no. But I have been considering it. I think as a field it is a bit rife with charlatanry and nonsense but some people I know have seen them and seem to think that if you get a good one it can help.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:55

Mood
Bashful

Seen haha* I made booby
Old 26th November 2014, 23:00

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by umm
No. Well, I saw one when I was at school ot the age of about thirteen or fourteen, because I never went to school. But of course that meant I never saw the shrink until she came to my house. Then I just told her stuff that didn't make me sound like such a dead loss.

But as an adult - no. But I have been considering it. I think as a field it is a bit rife with charlatanry and nonsense but some people I know have seen them and seem to think that if you get a good one it can help.
Psychologists and psychiatrists in the UK have to be accredited by medical societies to practise. But anyone can call themselves the title. If you look for psychologists and psychiatrists registered with a professional body then they are not charlatans. Best place to look probably british association of cognitive and behavioural psychotherapists and also british psychological society. Do not know the society for psychiatrists giving therapy as I'm not a psychiatrist.
Old 26th November 2014, 23:51

I was referred to a clinical psychologist when I was 18, my Dad took me in the car but I was too anxious to get out of the car, my Dad went inside and told her, she came storming out, opened the door, asked me if I was coming in, I said I can't, she slammed the door and went storming off and that was that.

I saw another psychologist privately, an american lady, she was very nice, but I only saw her the once, she said I couldn't see her and a psychiatrist at the same time, but she was nice.
Old 27th November 2014, 02:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I've seen two. I pulled quickly out of seeing both of them when they used the "If you want to be a good person..." approach , as though I was a bad person rather than someone having difficulties due to adverse life experiences.
Old 27th November 2014, 08:41

I've seen a couple I wasn't too impressed with either of them, didn't help much but that's just my experience.
Old 27th November 2014, 17:06

Mood
Bored

I have seen a couple of psychiatrists and they were both excellent. They listened to me and asked questions to further their understanding. On both occasions I was after some medication that GPs are unable to prescribe and I got my prescription with no problems. I'm still on the meds and it's keeping me sane and able to function in the scary outside word.

Perhaps it made a difference that I went in with a particular desired outcome in mind. I already had the name of a med that I wanted to try and we took it from there.