SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd June 2006, 11:33

Mood
Bored

Default c.v

Iam trying to do a c.v but havent a clue what to put in parts like employment history( i havent worked in over a year) and before that had jobs that didnt last long and i would rather forget.. references also clueless with,and personal profile i cant put im confident,etc cause im not... any advice very welcome
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:36

Default Re: c.v

what kind of job is it you're going for?

you know, you can be....creative.... about breaks in employment.

J
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:38

Mood
Bored

admin,office work i probably wont get any
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by introextra
what kind of job is it you're going for?

you know, you can be....creative.... about breaks in employment.

J
Introextra is absolutly right, you should see if a family members might say you have been working for them or say you have taken a year out to travel as loads of people do that now.
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:42

Mood
Bored

yes i might have a think about that...i know somebody whos mum was in a road accident and she had to be her carer for a period of time..do you think it would be worth making something up on those lines. My partner has back probs was thinking of mabye saying i had been caring for him
Old 23rd June 2006, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslaura
admin,office work i probably wont get any
Wow - stop! don't go writing a cv when you're thinking like that.

So have you got your qualifications listed?
Qualities? - (good attention to detail, the ability to take ownership of a task and see it through to completion, etc)

do you need a personal statement? A good one can grab attention!

Jane
Old 23rd June 2006, 13:21

Mood
Bored

Hi jane
im working on the qualities bit,..um the qualifications i have to guess,i have lost my gcse paperworks,argh iam so unorganised as you can tell lol
im not sure about a personal statement but i probably need one of them 2,basically i need everything
Old 23rd June 2006, 18:56

I've been 'creative' with the gaps on my CV. For jobs that were years ago, I extended the dates... and for one gap I said I was working for my Mum as she is self employed. Also had a gap from January of this year to now, and if any interviewer asked I said I was using the time to set up a part time business.

As for references, I just put down my last proper employer even though it was two years since I last worked there, and if they wanted two references, I put the job before or my tutor from college (even though it's been three years since I finished college!)
Old 23rd June 2006, 20:00

You can do a functional CV rather than a chronological one - so you emphasise what you can do and hide the empyment history at the bottom? There's an example here.

With the short term jobs, you could band some of them together as "temporary work". I helped a friend who had problems working with her CV - she hadn't worked anywhere more than 5 months (she used to get paranoid and leave a job that she was good at just because she decided they didn't like her anymore) and had several gaps due to e.g. an overdose which she didn't want to disclose so we were just constructive with the truth and banded things into e.g. 18 months temping but separated out some of the shorter jobs where she achieved more, then had a list of skills (secretarial, good organisation etc etc) more prominently.

It's also good to include action verbs in what you've done - accomplished, arranged, checked, completed, co-ordinated, delivered, developed, learned, maintained, processed...

It's best to tell the truth as much as possible (or to convince yourself that the lie is reality - my lie is that I left university because of financial difficulties, not that I failed and I believe it now so can say it with complete conviction!) otherwise the lies may be picked up at interview...
Old 24th June 2006, 12:36

Mood
Bored

thanx guys for all your tips i think iam finally getting the hang of this c.v malarky..im even revamping my b.fs
a good tip i have found if anyone else if doing their c.v like me is places like msn jobs do abit on c.v tips,and also totaljobs do a list of jobs..i found it is worth making notes of skills etc needed for that job,and then seeing if u have transferable skills to match
Old 24th June 2006, 18:11

Mood
Bored

u were abducted by aliens...
Old 24th June 2006, 18:14

Mood
Bored

no seriously um thats a hard one
Closed Thread