SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st June 2006, 10:33

Default have a nice afterlife

i notice one of the main concerns for suicide attempts is making yourself ill or in a coma.

what if there were like voluntary euthanasia drop in centres for non-terminal ppl who just wanted to end they're liife, for whatever reason.

i'm now thinking why should anyone have to endure life when you could die in dignity and painlessly, rather than resorting to diy job and risking futher trauma.

i know family is also a major issue here, but what if you had no family or they disowned you and don't give a toss about you, or vice versa. should ppl have the right to end their life when they've exhausted every option instead of torturing themselves on a daily basis until they die naturally of old age, alone, like these ppl you read about who are forgotten by society and only end up discovered in they're homes when they start to smell.

Would anyone here use such a service if it existed? is it so wrong?
Old 21st June 2006, 10:55

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: have a nice afterlife

Yes it is wrong because there is potential for everyone to turn their lives around and find peace and some degree of happiness.
It is sad when people end their lives forgotten and alone. That is one of my greatest fears but I still don't think suicide is the answer.
If lonely, sad and suicidal people can find a worthwhile cause such as helping others, I think they would feel less lonely sad and suicidal.
Helping others needn't necessarily mean coming into contact with other people if that is a problem.
I think euthanasia should be strictly for those with physical illnesses which make their lives intolerable.

I also don't think it is possible to have exhausted every option, there are just too many options to exhaust them all in a lifetime.
Old 21st June 2006, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
Yes it is wrong because there is potential for everyone to turn their lives around and find peace and some degree of happiness.
It is sad when people end their lives forgotten and alone. That is one of my greatest fears but I still don't think suicide is the answer.
If lonely, sad and suicidal people can find a worthwhile cause such as helping others, I think they would feel less lonely sad and suicidal.
Helping others needn't necessarily mean coming into contact with other people if that is a problem.
I think euthanasia should be strictly for those with physical illnesses which make their lives intolerable.

I also don't think it is possible to have exhausted every option, there are just too many options to exhaust them all in a lifetime.
Hear hear.

J
Old 21st June 2006, 11:07

I'm fully in agreement with you Drifty. Euthanasia should be perfectly legal (for me it's just another part of my philosophy of freedom to do what we like) and it is an issue debated often in the Commons.

Stop'n'Drop!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_booth
Old 21st June 2006, 11:26

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57

Hear, hear also.

I do have a strong family so it really pains me when I'm going through a very difficult phase and suicidal thoughts enter my head. I wonder if I would still be here sometimes if it wasn't for my lovely family - social anxiety can get really mess you up and you just can't think straight when you can't control it and can't see past it. If you don't have any close family, DRIFTY, I can at least try to imagine why you feel like you do - I wouldn't want to feel so lonely and isolated either.

There is so much to live for though - even if you really can't see it at the moment - there really is! We are such fragile beings at the end of the day and we all need to help one another in any way we can, however small and insignificantly it may seem. Like Winnie said, you don't have to come into contact with other people to help them. You could be the helping hand from behind the scenes - nobody really knows you, but you feel you know them as you help them on their way.

I know your worries must plague you far too often DRIFTY, but please don't give in too easily. We're all behind you, here.
Old 21st June 2006, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Walker
I know your worries must plague you far too often DRIFTY, but please don't give in too easily. We're all behind you, here.
I didn't see drifty saying that he himself wanted to do this. His thread was more moral musings than stating he wanted to commit suicide. Though obviously you may know more about his conditions than me.
Old 21st June 2006, 12:03

Mood
Artistic

life is a challenge, its upto you to rise above it and make the most of it, not back down whenever the going gets tough and take the easy way out.

So it might seem like a great idea at the time, but not only do you get rid of everything thats bad in your life, you also throw away all that is good. Its the small incidental things that make it all worthwhile in the end. And you can never ever have that back, if you abuse the gift that is your life, in the first place....

To truly suffer, is through no fault of your own. To survive, is your choice. But to live, rather than merely exist, calls for significant changes in your attitude towards life and death
Old 21st June 2006, 12:06

I think its a great shame that physical conditions are always considered greater than mental ones. Its ok to end your life if you are in great physical pain, but if you're experiencing extreme mental pain for a huge part of your life you just have to ride it out? I don't get it.

Some mental conditions are just as life threatening as physical complaints - sometimes the pain in the mind is far greater than the pain of the body - I wouldn't consider one to have a greater impact on a persons wellbeing than the other.

If my family was wiped out tomorrow I know for a fact I wouldn't want to be alive. There would be no point. I wouldn't be interested in helping others, I'd just want to go. Why is it so wrong to make that decision?

I accept that if I had a temporary mental problem it would be silly to end it all - but if I had endured a mental health problem for the last 20/30/40+ years and it wasn't easing then why is it so important that I continue breathing for another 20 years if I don't want to?

I s'pose it depends on how much value you put on life. I don't really. I don't have a religion, I don't believe in an afterlife, I think we are quite unimportant really. If I had no family and I killed myself today it wouldn't be a huge deal - I don't think. I see no merit in staying alive just for the sake of it.

I s'pose for many its the belief that you will be rewarded after your life has ended for enduring it - I don't believe in anything like that.

It is funny how we treat death though - likes its a frightening inconvenience we should avoid at all costs. We have even used death to punish people (and some countries still do). Its still one of those subjects people get weird about - and suicide is even worse!!! We force people to stay alive - even those whose death is imminent who are in extreme pain - doesn't matter, they have to stay alive!

Funny old world.
Old 21st June 2006, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanboy
To truly suffer, is through no fault of your own. To survive, is your choice. But to live, rather than merely exist, calls for significant changes in your attitude towards life and death
While I agree partially with what you're saying. A person at the point of suicide has usually explored every avenue of improving the situation, including changing your attitude to life. Some things we can't change no matter how pro-active we try to be

I'm with ladela when she says physical pain is no worse than mental pain and changing your outlook on life ain't always gonna work if your situation is that dire.
Old 21st June 2006, 14:54

Quote:
I'm with ladela when she says physical pain is no worse than mental pain and changing your outlook on life ain't always gonna work if your situation is that dire.
I don't know if it is or it isn't. I've seen some truly awful things where the physical pain being endured is almost beyond belief - and I've been to unbearable places in my head I can hardly describe.

It's not a competition.

What about this "dire situation". What does that mean? Is it really that dire? Or is it our interpretation of that situation, at that moment, that makes it dire?

Tomorrow came for me, and it was brighter.

Everyone deserves that chance: to see tomorrow and its potential.

Jane
Old 21st June 2006, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by introextra
I
What about this "dire situation". What does that mean? Is it really that dire? Or is it our interpretation of that situation, at that moment, that makes it dire?
Define dire situation. How long is a piece of string? It could be our interpretation thats skewed, or it might not be. It's so vague.... Or in other words, I agree with your point.

But if we feel bad we have to make up our mind about how bad it is, and if needs be, whether we should end it all. It's ok to keep hoping for that brighter tommorow but for some people it will be painfully obvious things aren't going to change for the better.

Quote:
Everyone deserves that chance: to see tomorrow and its potential.
Yeah I agree, all I'm saying is that as an adult you should have the freedom to make that choice if you so need.
Closed Thread