SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th April 2014, 14:15

Default Are you glad these weren't around way back when?

How do you feel about today's tech not being around when you were a little un'?

Ipods, internet, tablets, computers, mobile phones.....all that stuff?

Are you happy, sad, indifferent about that?
Old 15th April 2014, 14:50

Default Re: Are you glad these weren't around way back when?

I'm sad in a way... I might have been able to get to know some other kids when I was little - or at least play - without worrying about the different shades of pink/red on my face! (I never answered in class if I could avoid it because of this)
Old 15th April 2014, 14:50

Mood
Lonely

I am very indifferent about it. It was great fun learning how to use my Spectrum 48k, the VHS player, etc. At the same time, growing up with the internet as it is now, iPads, and smart phones, would have been fun.

I think the reason I look back on my childhood with nostalgia is because there were certain times when I felt really safe (not always) and I long for that feeling again.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:02

Mood
Alienated

Ipods, internet, tablets, computers, mobile phones? hell none of my family could afford a telephone when i was a kid, we had no fridge until my nan had a pools win, the tv was rented, out door toilet and a tin bath infront of the fire. Wow its starting to feel like i'm writting a monty pythons scetch , its all true tho.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:28

Mood
Alienated

ah the days when all you needed to do to fix the tech was give it a good ol' bash
Old 15th April 2014, 17:03

I'm glad, because I would have managed zero amounts of education with all those technological distractions around. Also it meant I at least had some outdoors activity when I was a nipper.
Old 15th April 2014, 17:22

I'm glad most of todays 'leisure' tech wasn't around when I was a kid. I loved the fresh air and going out to explore. The only kids I see 'playing' outside round my way, have a bottle of buckfast in their hands. I would have loved an ipod though. My walkman used to eat batteries for fun. I did like making compilation tapes to take out with me but the thought of having 100 albums with me in that tiny little thing would have blown my mind.

I like having stuff on demand nowadays but I do miss the anticipation of going to buy a video or cd/tape/record.

I remember knowing a boxing fight was happening in the States and sometimes being unable to find out the result until my magazine came out a week later! If it was a huge fight, they might mention it on the radio but if it wasn't then no way would I know. Teletext helped out when it came around but wasn't always quick off the mark.

I'm glad there was no internet. It's an amazing tool but from 4-12 years old, it would have fu**ed up my childhood man!
Old 15th April 2014, 18:05

Mood
Alienated

As much as i now love the NET i have to agree Zimmerman, so glad it was not around in my childhood
Old 17th April 2014, 00:30

Mood
Bookworm

There was agroup of girls @8-9 outside the other day and there was no playng just hangng around pushing buttons on phones and trying to look 'cool' and it honestly made me sad, at that age my generaton were out on bikes, clmbing trees getting grubby and that was only mid-eightes, in some ways it's harkng back to days of yore where children were out earning a crust for the family, only they don't do taht bit now.

ramble over lol
Old 17th April 2014, 04:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman
Are you happy, sad, indifferent about that?
Have to be indifferent because it doesn't matter when you are born, technology just marches onwards at this incredible pace.
2014 technology is going to seem so rubbish compared what will be available in say 2040.
Old 17th April 2014, 12:00

Yes, I agree. I remember strongly wanting a walkman, the first CD player, videos!! I remember waiting by the phone, (landline) and using public boxes, with the heavy red doors and using coins.

Also, having to read more books, at home, in the school library and also at universities. I'm glad I put my brain to use that way. Taking written notes too.

Though I wouldnt be without tech now; the internet is amaazing; though I am still resisting a smartphones and tablets.