SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th October 2023, 12:06

Default Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey quote:

Quote:
You can either waltz boldly onto the stage of life and live the way you know your spirit is nudging you to,
or you can sit quietly by the wall, receding into the shadows of fear and self-doubt.
Old 11th October 2023, 12:17

Default Re: Oprah Winfrey

Old 11th October 2023, 12:18

And there's no in between.
Old 11th October 2023, 12:26

Mood
Breezy

Easier said than done but she has a point.
Old 11th October 2023, 12:28

Speak for yourself, Winfrey.
My spirit is quite clearly nudging me as far away from that stage as possible, out through the back fire exit.
Old 11th October 2023, 16:22

Sitting quietly doesn’t always mean you are avoiding where you are being driven and being bold doesn’t always mean you are going to where your conscience is nudging you. You can be bold as in wearing a mask to avoid coming across as vulnerable.
Old 11th October 2023, 17:43

It sounds like good advice. If you constantly hide yourself away, you might let good opportunities slip by and live to regret it. But I wonder how much personal control we truly have to be able to do as she suggests. I mean, I wonder sometimes if our brain just provides a neural set of algorithms that works out for us what we’ll do at any given moment and gives us this illusion of decision-making and being in control.

There are melancholy occasions when I look back on my life of underachievement and wonder why couldn't I have done such and such when I was younger, but then I think maybe I simply couldn't then. The options which seem obvious or doable to me now, were just not on the table for me back then. Idk...
Old 11th October 2023, 18:50

Go on, lend us a bil', Oprah!
Old 11th October 2023, 21:40

When do I get a car?
Old 12th October 2023, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco
It sounds like good advice. If you constantly hide yourself away, you might let good opportunities slip by and live to regret it. But I wonder how much personal control we truly have to be able to do as she suggests. I mean, I wonder sometimes if our brain just provides a neural set of algorithms that works out for us what we’ll do at any given moment and gives us this illusion of decision-making and being in control.

There are melancholy occasions when I look back on my life of underachievement and wonder why couldn't I have done such and such when I was younger, but then I think maybe I simply couldn't then. The options which seem obvious or doable to me now, were just not on the table for me back then. Idk...
If you hide yourself away or are quiet you also have a greater opportunity for deep focus. And this is not hiding away behind the internet, it’s doing tasks that require skill. It takes all totes of people for society to function but our society tells us that extroversion is a requirement to be the ideal person.
Old 13th October 2023, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara 94
If you hide yourself away or are quiet you also have a greater opportunity for deep focus. And this is not hiding away behind the internet, it’s doing tasks that require skill. It takes all totes of people for society to function but our society tells us that extroversion is a requirement to be the ideal person.
^Totally agree with this!

Oprah's message could be interpreted as less about pretending to be a brash, extrovert person and more about self-acceptance and not feeling ashamed and inhibited. But, yeah, probably for most people this will be taken simply as an aspiration to overconfidence in the image of Oprah herself (indeed, maybe that’s what she meant!).
Old 13th October 2023, 13:56

Like Spud said, where's that stepping stone? I've tried forging ahead previously. Where you just get on with it! Fake it till ya make it! But it hasn't done me any favours. It might help some but not others. It's like putting a plaster on a gaping wound (I'm feeling dramatic today) Where instead I should have spent more time trying to understand my SA. If anything going down that path has lost me more time. Even now I've only recently started journaling to get a better understanding of my SA. So with regards to Oprah. Positive thinking? Yes! Absolutely! But with more self reflection as well.

Idk, I think I'm missing my calling in life. After all, I've heard enough word stews to make my own stew! And if Oprah, motivational speakers, and even televangelist faith healers can make some serious moolah from their stews, then why can't I! After all, my word stew is just as great!

I want to lose 60lbs but I have no willpower to achieve this. What should I do?

Just get it done you bastard!

I haven't left the house for years. My cats are starting to look peckish and licking their whiskers when they see me. What should I do?

My pecker is feeling less peckerish lately. What should I do?

Anyway, I need to get back and get it done!
Old 21st October 2023, 17:33

I think inspirational gurus haven't got the memo. That we are all different and not to prescribe solutions that don't reflect this reality.
Old 21st October 2023, 19:09

Mood
Breezy

^Excellent point NeverWas