SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th May 2021, 11:03

Default G'day

I've been suffering from social anxiety and depression ever since I was an adolescent. I'm well in my 40s now, so that's a bloody long time. I'm mostly coping but I do get "dips". The last week or so has been particularly tough, which is why I decided to join this forum.

I'm married, live in East Anglia and work in IT (which I can do from home). Hobbies include bits of coding, chess and listening to classical music. So you won't find me clubbing on a Saturday night!
Old 4th May 2021, 11:35
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: G'day

Hi dustyfied Welcome
Old 4th May 2021, 12:20

Hi and welcome. I read that chess had become cool in lockdown due to people wanting to learn after watching that Netflix show "The Queen's Gambit". Seems like lots of people with SA thrive in IT, maybe more the technical side than management roles, but I hear it pays pretty well compared to other SA-friendly jobs like data entry. Of course, you need a good brain and good skills for IT though. Do you listen to particular composers of classical music with something like Spotify or do you listen to a radio station? I don't know anything about classical but sometimes like this American public station in the background. The presenters sound so educated and mellifluous the way they talk

www.wqxr.org

I am 51 now so no way would a bouncer let me into a club any more, unless it was a folk club I don't think we're missing much though!
Old 4th May 2021, 13:57

@NFL_Fan - Computers are definitely easier to communicate with than people... And chess is a nice activity. I used to play in pubs. It's a perfect activity as it gives you something to do (you don't have to chat all the time).

I mostly listen to chamber music. Most classical radio stations play a mixture of everything, and I can't stand things like opera. At the moment I mostly listen to Radio Caprice (radcap.ru) which has channels for genres and no adverts. They often play works by composers such as Taneyev, which gets me very excited.

When I was young I was into grunge, and I sometimes still listen to that as well.