SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2007, 02:16

Default Help for SA

I'm not receiving any help or support for my health problems, SA included and am very isolated, and wondered what help if any, that you get? Medication, CBT etc and does this help with your health at all? My uncle has suffered with depression for many years and has over several months been on anti-depressants and he is so much better, much more positive and happy.

I'm thinking about asking my GP for Prozac, she's very good but has never offered anything for my problems, even though I've been suffering for years. I feel my health has got quite a lot worse this year and really want to feel better, I don't want to take meds but if it helped to pick me up then it may be its worth a try? What are other peoples experiences and what has worked best for you?
Old 25th March 2007, 09:29

Default Re: Help for SA

Hi Kiefersbabe

Meds are very hit and miss unfortunately, for some they may help, for others they'll do nothing and for others they will add to their problems. Prozac can be very 'activating', causing some people an uncomfortable feeling of agitation, as they did to me. So, I wouldn't advise you go down the med route without researching the drug first and weighing up the possible benefits against the risks.
Ultimately, it's about changing your perceptions, your thoughts, and CBT is very useful for that. You may need to wait some time for it though depending on your area but, I would recommend that over meds.
Old 28th March 2007, 01:48

Default Re: Help for SA

Thanks emgee and Comet, don't really know what to do now, apparently I did have some CBT about nine years ago but I didnt know it was that until some years later! I just thought it was general councelling, shows how ineffective that was then! Guess I'll just carry on muddling along and see how things go.