SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2012, 22:53

Default Ever been ignored randomly by new people?

I have a weird condition. I do not know if I really have SA. I have the confidence to do everything a confident person does. I even can do presentations in front of 100 people. I can talk a lot to people I do not know, I can approach a woman and give her a compliment. I would say my confidence is pretty good. Problem is, I do not have any friends?

Any attempt on my part to make a friend and I am just normally ignored by people. I consider myself a pretty cool guy, it doesn't make sense to me. I look in the mirror and think 'Why the hell does this happen to me? I'm a awesome good looking guy! What usually happens is, i'll make friends with someone and we'll have a fun interesting talk and the next day they'll completely ignore me?

I remember a time in university, I was friends with a guy and we sat next to each other every lesson... then end of term came and we went home. Second term comes around and the dude walks past me and doesn't say hello. We never even spoke again after that and we were in the same class!

Another example is I went to music university and I was in a group of people and me and this girl was working together. We wrote a song and had a fun time doing it. The next say we walk past each other and she looked through me and walked past and we never even spoke again. I wasn't attracted to her but its amazing how rude some people can be....Its like everyone is trying to be the most popular people. All people care about is status.

Anyone had similar experiences?
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:40

Default Re: Ever been ignored randomly by new people?

Yes. There is this one guy in my uni class who talked to me alot during freshers. Now he barely even looks at me.
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:50

Mood
Balanced

Almost every "friend" I've ever had has eventually decided they were too cool for me. It's like people outgrow me. And it's not like I'm needy, if anything it's the opposite.
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:55

Mood
Scurvy

If anyone fvcking did they get a big loud "OI" in their ear and a slap if necessary.

I used to get such things alot when younger but not nowadays. It be weird for someone to ignore me/mistreat me if you I raise the bar slightly.

On the otherhand it works both ways and if someone ignores me I can just as easily ignore them. I mean I probably want to talk to them less than vice versa so I might not be complaining.

Ofcourse I may end up ditching them either way if I find it necessary to approach them after they have ignored me. I dont want to be friends with someone like that anyway. I find it easier to move on.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:33

When these people pass you, do you give eye contact or say hello yourself?

A lot of times when people ignore me or don't really say anything to me, i wonder why. But, when I think about it, it probably looked like I'd ignored them, and I probably didn't say anything to them either.

Thats only some cases though....in other cases I have given eye contact and said hello, and still not got anything back, so I know how you feel.
Old 24th February 2012, 03:45

Mood
Mellow

i don't understand people at all, but
don't give a rip anymore.

having done everything reasonable to be friendly on countless occasions,
i have little to show for it.

thankfully i have 2 friends that i might see every few months,but
it's not enough.
i'll soon be seeking some volunteer work.
(i think people treat volunteers a lot better than their paid staff.)hope so.
Old 25th February 2012, 18:40

Mood
Fine

This is the story of my social life. Although for me some days I'll be worth talking to, some days I won't get a second look. Some people will find me ok to talk to but not be friends with, some people don't think I'm interesting enough to even smile at. I mostly have this problem with women, not so much men. I dunno ... I find it all frustrating and confusing myself ... Taking it to heart does no good tho.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:56

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_Hate_You
Almost every "friend" I've ever had has eventually decided they were too cool for me. It's like people outgrow me. And it's not like I'm needy, if anything it's the opposite.
This is the same as me. It seems when they figure out that i cant/wont be helping them climb the 'social ladder', they figure im not worth hanging out with anymore and replace me with someone with higher social status, which isnt exactly difficult.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:13

Yeah, this happens to me all the time. Sometimes someone will talk to me in class, but other times they'll completely ignore me. Admittedly, I don't initiate anything and I tend to look down and away from everyone, but sometimes I do deliberately look towards someone's direction in the hope of them striking up a conversation with me. I think people just think I'm not that interested because of my minimal responses so quickly move on to someone else.
Old 27th February 2012, 02:23

I've been ignored quite a few times by old 'friends' when out walking in the last few years. I know it can be uncomfortable to talk and say hello to someone you haven't spoken to in a while but they completely blanked me, people I used to be very close friends with. I won't try to say hello if I randomly bump into someone again in the future.

As for new friends it has happened many times, people seem to pick and choose their friends whenever they like.
Old 27th February 2012, 09:32

Yes, this can happen quite a lot. People can think you're something you're not, then cool when they realise you're 'not'. Also, a lot of the time, it's about being seen with the 'right' people who have the right accent, the right job, social status etc. I treat people as they are as a person, not on their social standing, but don't think a lot of people do nowadays. I'd rather be friends with a friendly dustman than some of the people I have to cross paths with on a daily basis.