SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2020, 15:50

Mood
Cynical

Default Jobs For People With Severe Social Anxiety?

Does anyone know of anything that is possible to do with very severe social anxiety?
Old 26th March 2020, 09:13

Default Re: Jobs For People With Severe Social Anxiety?

I think by doing you can find yourself a can-do ability and a.sort of resilience. Social anxiety can be half psychological. Can find yourself in a team that you're familiar with and social anxiety can.be minimised. Anyway my experience:

Worked as an archiver- that was fine.
Worked as an admin - not so fine, warzone environment
Worked in retail(1)- was a challenge but mostly got through it
Worked in cleaning caravans - also a challenge. (Big holiday site in middle of summer)
Worked in admin(2)- easy other than big meetings which i skipped.
Worked in retail(2) - Went from pretty weak to pretty competent but took a year
Worked in production - was pretty ok, other than break times and.staff canteen
Worked as a temp warehouse op - that was ok working with a small team
Worked as a volunteer kitchen porter - not so fine for some reason

I think have to be careful with a self limiting belief, but it is doable to an extent. Some people on here i think have kept themselves in one job and.that can.yield dividends over time. Like the experience, the gqined authority, the comfortability in a familiar team.

Is tricky from being unemployed as confidence can drop, and have to go through 'loops'. (Interviews) Volunteering could be a better bet as.i suspect this flu has made being employed a little bit harder to achieve. (Businesses laying off staff, higher people looking etc.)

I don't know what care work and housekeeping work might be like. Care if you are comfortable with elderly people or not, and giving them baths etc, housekeeping where can work on your own maybe but have targets to achieve in an hour.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:44

Mood
Cynical

Thank you so much for replying to my question Laurel, some very helpful ideas there
Old 26th March 2020, 12:04

Mood
Cynical

Most of those on the list seem very daunting to me at the moment. Right now I'm going back to my artwork, and hoping something comes from that - I'm thinking of possibly doing Illustrating.
Old 26th March 2020, 13:04

Mood
Tired

as Laurel said, it can all seem impossible with any self-limiting ideas from long-term unemployment etc.

I would have thought from your question that the main thing would be getting help for your condition,
it's too easy for us to try and muddle along, not getting help and kind of blaming ourselves for being fearful of social interaction,

have you gone down the road of getting help?... maybe contacting your local GP, plus looking online or looking around for local help groups for SA or similar,

it's kind of in our nature to try and muddle along and tell everyone we're "fine", when really what we might benefit from it taking this debilitating condition seriously and getting proper help.

when you start to improve then you can hopefully find a lot more suitable ideas for employment,
the trouble is that when you self-limit on what you think you can manage then you can end up in some really horrible jobs.

you deserve better.

oh,. and welcome to the site
Old 26th March 2020, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyKristina86
Most of those on the list seem very daunting to me at the moment. Right now I'm going back to my artwork, and hoping something comes from that - I'm thinking of possibly doing Illustrating.
Selling on Etsy a possibility
Old 26th March 2020, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
as Laurel said, it can all seem impossible with any self-limiting ideas from long-term unemployment etc.

I would have thought from your question that the main thing would be getting help for your condition,
it's too easy for us to try and muddle along, not getting help and kind of blaming ourselves for being fearful of social interaction,

have you gone down the road of getting help?... maybe contacting your local GP, plus looking online or looking around for local help groups for SA or similar,

it's kind of in our nature to try and muddle along and tell everyone we're "fine", when really what we might benefit from it taking this debilitating condition seriously and getting proper help.

when you start to improve then you can hopefully find a lot more suitable ideas for employment,
the trouble is that when you self-limit on what you think you can manage then you can end up in some really horrible jobs.

you deserve better.

oh,. and welcome to the site
yeah worth looking into CBT, and some good books.
Old 26th March 2020, 13:31

Mood
Cynical

There is a site called Conscious Crafties which is for people with long term conditions/mental health conditions/disabilities to sell their crafts, artwork etc. You might want to check that out, they have very helpful guides to help you set up your shop and what you need to do, which can be a good introduction to selling online generally.
Old 26th March 2020, 14:56

Writing is the obvious choice. The pay is horrendously bad, but there is always work. It depends how much you need to earn. I don’t have kids or a mortgage, and I have very few expenses, so I can just about get by. You could supplement it with copywriting, proofreading and so on. Maybe offer private tuition from your home as well, though you’d need a degree, or even an MA.
Old 1st April 2020, 15:45

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
Selling on Etsy a possibility
I have thought of selling on Etsy actually.
Old 1st April 2020, 15:46

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
There is a site called Conscious Crafties which is for people with long term conditions/mental health conditions/disabilities to sell their crafts, artwork etc. You might want to check that out, they have very helpful guides to help you set up your shop and what you need to do, which can be a good introduction to selling online generally.
That's a brilliant idea, I will note that
Old 1st April 2020, 15:53

Mood
Cynical

Hi Nanuq,

Thank you! Yes, I am on Instagram, and I'd be happy if you pm'd your Instagram account I'm going to google that United Art Space. I'm really glad (but not really) that you understand how daunting everything seems when you have really severe social anxiety! Nothing seems possible - I just see failure in anything I'd ever do. It's absolutely awful.
Old 1st April 2020, 15:59

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Writing is the obvious choice. The pay is horrendously bad, but there is always work. It depends how much you need to earn. I don’t have kids or a mortgage, and I have very few expenses, so I can just about get by. You could supplement it with copywriting, proofreading and so on. Maybe offer private tuition from your home as well, though you’d need a degree, or even an MA.
That's a good idea. Today I done something I've been pondering on for a while - creating my own blog.
Old 1st April 2020, 18:43

Folksy is a UK site a bit like Etsy, where you can sell craft items.
Old 8th April 2020, 07:34

Hi Holy, I'm a kitchen porter which suits me, I'm 52 and had problems with SA all my life
Old 8th April 2020, 17:18

Mood
Nerdy

I wish there were more jobs where you could work alone and just get on with it. Perhaps after this crisis is over there'll be more work from home opportunities.
Old 8th April 2020, 21:48

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy15
Hi Holy, I'm a kitchen porter which suits me, I'm 52 and had problems with SA all my life
That’s cool, I never thought of that before.
Old 8th April 2020, 21:51

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx
I wish there were more jobs where you could work alone and just get on with it. Perhaps after this crisis is over there'll be more work from home opportunities.
I truly hope so as well, fingers crossed 🤞
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:26

possibly https://www.britishsummerfruits.co.uk/jobs
Picking fruits in a field. Quite idyllic as well, getting back to nature. But quite hard physically possibly.
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:06

I worked as a bike messenger when I was in living in London, I loved it as I could just get on with job with almost no interaction with a boss , I just had to speak with a dispatcher over the radio and the occasional smile/frown at receptionists . there was quite a social aspect among the other couriers but almost all of us were doing the job because we didn't suit traditional office jobs so it was a happy band of socially awkward misfits.