SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th November 2021, 19:55

Default Has anyone gotten to the point that they don’t beat theirselves up for how autism…

may cause them to feel or act.

For example, you are comfortable enough that you aren’t offended or irritated if you were to get a dirty look from someone due to some of the social awkwardness that can come with autism. Or other stuff such as you don’t feel the need to force yourself to mask.
Old 8th November 2021, 20:20

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: Has anyone gotten to the point that they don’t beat theirselves up for how autism

Yeah, definitely. When I reached my 30s I started going into the mindset that there really is nothing wrong with me, people just need to adjust to someone who is neuro-divergent. It's not right that people who are different are treated like they're "wrong" in society when that really isn't the case!

It doesn't mean that I go off the rails or whatever, lol, but my jokes have become really bizarre and geeky, and strangely I don't get flack for them like I used to as a teen (people actually seem to genuinely like them). I also go off on tangents with my interests, and people also seem much more welcoming to that than what I remember.

For example last night, me and my coworker were really bored so I was talking to her about parasites that "zombify" certain insects, and I showed her some videos and she was interested just as well haha. I just kept listing off all these facts about them and she thought they were cool.

But God. Back then with my friends, they would have mocked me for this kind of thing. Teens can be real sh**heads, and I had bad friends back then honestly. I think its what fueled my SA and negative feelings regarding how people perceive me.

But now? If people don't like me and my "weirdness" then I don't care, they can go away. Even with my SA and introversion, I've accepted it as part of myself and feel so much better for it!
Old 9th November 2021, 09:54

Default Re: Has anyone gotten to the point that they don’t beat theirselves up for how autism

I'm gradually getting more comfortable with the "label". And realising I'm just part of life's rich tapestry, no matter how weird or awkward some people find me.
Old 11th December 2021, 17:00

I still get hurt by negative reactions from other people. It doesn't happen all the time, but the other day some passing stranger said "He's Not all there" about me, in passing on the street. At the time I was stressed and anxious and preoccupied due to being a bit lost and late to get to where I needed to be.

I really can't help the impression i create on other people sometimes. I gather that being preoccupied by ones own inner monologue/thought/feelings and potentially appearing oblivious and unaware of other people is one of the characteritics of Autism that is causing me perhaps the most issues of any at the moment.

It's something that I really cant control. It's only a momenatry thing. If my mind is not as aware of other people as perhaps is the norm to be. In a split second i can be bang straight back in to fully taking in my surroundings. But in the moment that people may glance / look / or stare at me, I may not be conscious or aware of them at that time.

Why people must judge this so negatively and harshly I don't quite get.

Any one else have this?