Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th April 2010, 16:46
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Innocent

Default Re: 80s Technology-ZX Spectrum

Don't know about that zx81 but what about Manic miner featuring Miner willy!, brother of Major willy

found this link http://www.darnkitty.com/manic/

Just as frustrating as it was back in the good/bad ole days!...ahh the fights me and my brothers would have to have an extra hour on the puter...
Old 13th April 2010, 18:42

Rufus, I also really liked 3D Ant Attack. I think that was the game where you could choose to play as a boy or girl - am I right?

Cynic, GAC was Graphic Adventure Creator which came out around 1988ish. This software could produce adventure games with text and graphics.

Quill was the (first?) software which came out around 1986ish that let you create text only adventures. Afterwards the Quill was followed by the Illustrator from the same company (Gilsoft?) which allowed you to add graphics to an adventure.

Ive used GAC briefly but it was a long time ago and I dont think Ive ever used Quill or Illustrator. There were a lot of adventures produced though that were made with Quill.

As far as Spectrum adventures go I think my favourite was the Hobbit.
Old 13th April 2010, 20:46

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_One
Rufus, I also really liked 3D Ant Attack. I think that was the game where you could choose to play as a boy or girl - am I right?
Sure was.

I guess It Came From The Desert was its spiritual successor.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_One
Yes and if you found the other person it came up with "My hero,take me away from all this!" with a little beepy tune.
Old 13th April 2010, 22:58

Mood
Aggressive

I had a 16k Speccy too. I can even remember getting the memory upgrade kit and the spectrum + kit for it and spending quality time with my Dad fitting the bits or sat doing those type in programs.

By my fave was my speccy 128k, loved that machine, in fact I've still got it.

Anyway if anyone is interested in reliving those speccy memories then get yourselves to www.worldofspectrum.org. You can download loads of games from there and just about every emulator out there. I personally recomend ZXSpin. Or you could try Spectaculator, it's not free but it's well worth the money, best 20 i ever spent. You can get it from www.spectaculator.com

Fave games of mine

Target Renegade
Stormbringer
Dan Dare
Barmy Burgers
I Ball
Olli and Lissa
Geoff Capes Strongman
Robocop
Batman

Also If you have a nintendo DS and a flash card then get yourself a copy SpeccyDS, you can get that from the emulators section of www.worldofspectrum.org

Colour clash colour clash ra ra ra
Old 13th April 2010, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
I remember there was a word you would type and sometimes the magic boot appeared, but sometimes it didn't.
You would type 'penguin' and sometimes the boot would appear, but as often as not it didn't.

Quote:
Jet Set Willy was boss! I used to do that 3-key combo to freeze the programme, go to another room and re-start. Those were the days.
The keys 'm' 'a' and 'x' simultaneously on the Dragon enabled the player to move Willy from one room to another.

Just been reading about them on Wikipedia. Interesting reading how the different ported versions varied. I knew the Dragon version had 2 extra screens and the reviewers at Dragon User tended to gloat about that one. What I never knew was that JSW II originated as the Amstrad CPC464's version of JSW but called 'The Final Frontier' and was JSW with extra bells and whistles, later ported to the Speccy (and others) as JSWII! Most notablly the BBC version omitted 60 rooms in JSWII, I mean WTF?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Miner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Willy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Willy_II

Quote:
A few years later, I had a go at Jet Set Willy II on the C64
Actually, I remember, I couldn't get JSWII to run as I had borrowed the cassette and it had no colour code. I got it confused with Chuckie Egg II, which wasn't a patch on the original - which I had for the Dragon.

Quote:
There was one soccer game I used to love on the C64 (the name may come back to me, but there were loads of football games, some pretty awful but there was one I really liked)
It was called 'Microprose Soccer'.

Quote:
games like Midnight Resistance, Creatures I & II, Mayhem in Monsterland, Double Dragon, Target Renegade, IK+, Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Stunt Car Racer, but my favourites had to be Turrican I and II.
All can be read about here, while Speccy games can be read about here.
Old 13th April 2010, 23:14

Mood
Dreaming

I didn't have many games: manic miner, atic atac, jet set willy, 3d ant attack and adventure. Adventure was great - no graphics at all - just text! I remember spending an eternity playing atic atac and being really disappointed when I eventually escaped from the castle. I think I was hoping there'd be another game beyond the doors. I never did manage to get through ameobatons revenge on manic miner. Did all the others through the level selector thingy. I used to be a bit afraid of the ants in 3d ant attack
Old 15th April 2010, 22:54

I didn`t have a spectrum but I used to play on my friends one , the first game I ever played on it was jetpac and I used to love matchday but it had a few bugs in it. I remember playing manic miner as well and probably a few more. I had a vic20 then a commodore 64 then an amiga which are all in the loft now , I had a go on the vic a few years ago but the 64 wouldn`t work for some reason.
Old 16th April 2010, 03:55

Mood
Alienated

i've still got my amstrad 464 with green screen monitor and a load of games. it still works and i do get it out now and again, still love the noise it makes when loading tapes even if it does take forever.
fave games were the "dizzy" collection the indiana jones of the egg world
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:02

Yeh, I had a Spectrum too(those were the days, eh?) I remember a book I got with it that had pages of instructions to type in a program just so you could watch a word you typed in bounce all over the screen. It took me hours to type it all in! My favourite games were Jet Set Willy 2 and Manic Miner. Ah, happy days!
Old 9th June 2010, 03:56

Just seen some walkthrough videos of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum, as well as one of Manic Miner on the Commodore 64 too.

So which was the best games computer of the 80's out of the Speccy, C64 and Amstrad CPC? :hmmm:
Closed Thread