SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st March 2021, 11:40

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Has anyone seen "Joe Pera Talks with You"?

It is so, so good! Here's an extract from a review that describes it much better than I could:

"Pera – a 30-year-old comedian with the voice and mannerisms of someone three times his age – plays a fictional version of himself; a middle-school choir teacher living on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. A single man who lives alone, he finds enormous pleasure in tiny things: iron, sheet music, the sound of liquid being poured from a large container into a smaller container. He’s well liked by his local community, but he doesn’t quite fit in. As such, he’s found comfort in his own routines. He reads the announcements at church. He goes on an annual drive each autumn. He collects minerals.

Another show would have painted Pera as a figure of fun, using his quirks as a weapon against him, but Joe Pera Talks With You has too much heart for that. The show is always on his side. When teenagers place a For Sale sign outside his home, and it looks for a moment like he’ll honour the wishes of the strangers who make him an offer, you go through all the dips and turns of his dilemma with him. When he marvels at a spinning dessert display, seduced by the sweet delights but knowing that as an adult he has to make healthy choices – it’s like you’re seeing it for the first time.

Each episode of Joe Pera Talks With You is 10 minutes long, which is just enough. We’re introduced into his world, and we watch him impart some folky, home-spun wisdom on a certain topic, then we leave him as we found him. There’s only a veneer of an emotional arc – a lightly-drawn relationship with a colleague starts to burble up in later episodes – but even that feels unnecessary. Joe Pera as a character is an island, and the fun of watching it is feeling his own worldview slowly align to yours. He’s a soft and soothing presence, a little like Bob Ross, and the series can often veer into something approaching ASMR in its meditative delivery."

It's hilarious and surreal, and at one point during the second series it becomes devastatingly sad. It's beautifully shot too and the soundtrack is perfect. I've watched it twice over the last couple of weeks. It's nice to have a comedy that's as wholesome and gentle as this, where someone who is socially anxious and overthinks everything is celebrated rather than made into a figure of fun. It feels like a lot of love has gone into making it.

There are two seasons and a Christmas special (which I think was a pilot for the main show, but it makes sense to watch it afterwards) available on All 4: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...talks-with-you
Old 1st March 2021, 12:59

Mood
Cynical

Paul Whitehouse and Bob Mortimer, gone fishing. So good and funny and I've never fished in my life
Old 1st March 2021, 14:09

Mood
Worried

^ so many people have said they have enjoyed it. I may have to give it a watch. I just presumed a programme with two blokes fishing might be a bit too, well, "blokey".

Extraordinary Escapes with Sandi Toksvig. She has a guest each week and takes them to 3 different lovely accommodations in different parts of the UK. A relaxing programme to watch, I really like Toksvig, and it really shows how stunningly beautiful the UK can be. The guests have all been good too. However, my gripe about this programme is that it's another one that shows people what they probably would never be able to afford. I mean, a place they stayed in Scotland had medieval tapestries and a personal chef. I can find Travelodge a bit pricey sometimes....
It also contrasts to when I once saw Toksvig in a tracksuit outside Wilkinson's.
Old 1st March 2021, 14:11

I loved Gone Fishing too. The fishing part is pretty much secondary to the conversations and scenery. I think food probably has more attention than the fishing too Give it a go though, it's great!
Old 1st March 2021, 14:13

Mood
Worried

^ will do!
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:10

I’m late to the game as per usual on these, but I’ve got a few on the go at the moment:

Narcos
Devs
Superstore
The Expanse
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:15

^ Devs is sooooooo good! I read a while ago the creator is working on a completely different show featuring all the same actors from Devs but I don't think there's any other news about it.
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:05

Mood
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky Monster
^ Really like that show. I'm waiting for a few more episodes for this series to be aired so I can binge it.
The first episode was superb Kooky Monster.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:09

'I am Nicola', a stand alone drama with Vicky McClure, who I really like.

It's uncomfortable viewing for me because it's about coercive control and I think there's an element of that in my marriage
It was more noticeable when I was younger and wanted to go out at night, but the resorting to nastiness when I ever questioned our lifestyle (if I wanted to do something different) or if I enjoyed other people's company is very familiar. I think my husband would have struggled to stay with someone who had a stronger network of friends or who didn't second guess themselves. I started the relationship with low self esteem and many years later am completely isolated.

And like anyone in this kind of relationship I've always just thought it was my responsibility to keep things on an even keel.

I do need to address it but can of worms
Old 5th March 2021, 19:09

Wandavision- I didn’t fancy it from the trailer but it was actually good. Filled the gap that would have been filled by about 5 Marvel films the past year.
Old 7th March 2021, 19:58

Waiting to the Great Pottery Throw down
Old 8th March 2021, 12:43

^I love that, and it's been so much more watchable without Melanie Sykes or Sara Cox.

Sad indictment but the highlight of my last few days was seeing Bake-Off is back with the celeb charity version. I guess I really value some gentle, peaceful escapism atm.

For what feels like the millionth time I'm trying to get into The Originals, given that I love The Vampire Diaries and it was a spin off from that. I'm only on episode 7 or 8 though, it's taken months and even now I couldn't tell you more than the general summary- it's like my brain rejects it. There's no way I'll make it through all the seasons. Doesn't bode well for the spin-off from the spin-off (Legacies?) either. It's like I'm having some weird sort of relationship- it really shouldn't be this hard to make myself like you! The depths boredom will drive you to
Old 8th March 2021, 12:50

I've never liked any of the Pottery hosts I think Cox was probably the least annoying of the three though. I don't even know why a host is needed since the judges walk around to talk to everyone and seem more than capable of running things themselves. It doesn't feel like it adds anything to have someone messing about between the challenges.
Old 8th March 2021, 12:53

^Agreed! It must be quite a skill to cast the correct host so that they add value to the show rather than detract aka make you want to throw something at the screen, because god knows it seems a rare accomplishment
Old 8th March 2021, 12:54

Mood
Nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
I’m very bored this evening, and then I suddenly saw there is a new series of Deutschland being shown, this time Deutschland 89, the second sequel of the original Deutschland 83. The second series was quite good, but a bit disappointing, so hopefully this one will be excellent.

I had no idea there was another series due, so I’m very pleased. This is certainly right up my street. A thriller series with touches of comedy, in German, 80s music, and set in East Germany. The later years of the Cold War is the period of history I’m most interested in.
I love Deutschland! I've a feeling this series is going to be good. (No spoilers for future episodes please, I'm watching them at TV broadcast pace. )
Old 8th March 2021, 13:05

Mood
Tired

been watching The Night Manager,

it's certainly well produced, and camera work etc. is good,
I quite like the characters, they mostly seem to be well chosen,

i just find that perhaps it's scripted as though still back in the distant past,
with a definite nod towards middle-class England,.. probably a result of being taken from a john-le-carre novel?

some of the plotline seems a tad implausible,. but it is quite enjoyable viewing,
it seems to just ooze class and sophistication.
Old 8th March 2021, 14:34

^I liked The Night Manager, it was very stylish

I'm still plodding through the 3 rubbish extra series of 13 reasons why. I don't care who did what to whom anymore, it's become background noise...I'll tune my brain back in when I get to the last few episodes and it all gets (I'm guessing) clumsily resolved.

It was the last one of The Great last night I'll miss that being on.

Did anyone see 'Love your Garden' with Alan Titchmarsh last week? It was a hard watch really, the garden was for a man who was a gardener himself, but he had a rare form of early onset dementia and really heartbreakingly his 2 tiny children had a 50% chance of having the same thing. I usually watch these things in tears thinking...that garden is going to do f all to make up for the hell they're going through, but this time I thought the garden was really magical and I thought maybe it might help the family, even just a little bit.

I prefer it to 'Love my garden', where people spend £60,000 on truly horrible garden designs, except for the 'budget' bit of the show. (Though they still spend about £1500, a 'what can you do for free' would be even better
Old 9th March 2021, 19:18

WandaVision
Old 9th March 2021, 19:23

^Yaaaas! What did you think?
Old 10th March 2021, 17:44

Mood
Nerdy

Your Honor.
Old 10th March 2021, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotiger
^Yaaaas! What did you think?
For the first few episodes, I was about to say, "Siri, please find me something else to watch." but I trust the person who recommended it to me, so I have stuck with it.

And now I'm on episode 4, I'm glad that I have stuck with it. Getting verrry interesting :D!
Old 11th March 2021, 08:50

Mood
Lucky

I watched Asperger's and Me with Chris Packham on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09b1zbb

Was really good, moving and scary in parts.
Old 11th March 2021, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
For the first few episodes, I was about to say, "Siri, please find me something else to watch." but I trust the person who recommended it to me, so I have stuck with it.

And now I'm on episode 4, I'm glad that I have stuck with it. Getting verrry interesting :D!
Yes, after the first one my partner asked if I still wanted to carry on with it and I said I did because of the scene where his boss was choking, it made it clear something extra was going on.
It gets better and is pretty good overall.
Old 11th March 2021, 16:29

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
I watched Asperger's and Me with Chris Packham on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09b1zbb

Was really good, moving and scary in parts.
It is very good, i'd recommend to anyone wanting to learn about aspergers.
Old 11th March 2021, 18:59

^^ yah! I'm hooked now. I want to find out what's-a-going on! Going to try and finish it this evening!

^ *puts on my to watch list*
Old 11th March 2021, 19:07

Mood
Sad

^By all means watch it when you get a chance.
Old 11th March 2021, 19:20

^ I really like Chris Packham, he's so knowledgable and passionate about wildlife and I just love wildlife! I'm really interested in Asperger's because I can relate to many of the traits. Hopefully I don't forget to watch it.
Old 11th March 2021, 19:32

Mood
Sad

^I really like chris packham too. Do you think you might have aspergers? I was diagnosed with it only a couple of years ago.
Old 11th March 2021, 19:46

^ that is interesting. Do you mind if I ask...did you seek a diagnosis or was it noticed and diagnosed? Umm I'm not really sure, I can identify with a lot of the traits. I always want to ask people if they think if of me, but not quite sure how to start that conversation.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:27
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Just watched American Mary. For some daft reason I had thought this was a series. Turned out its a film. Whilst it's not terrible I kind of found it oddly pointless as a story. It was like oh is that it.