SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th November 2008, 22:22

Mood
Lucky

Default Boring and dull

I have just began to realise how very boring and dull I am.
Having started college again as a mature student I notice that most people seem to actually have personalities. Each of them interesting in their own way.

I just seem to be very uninteresting, almost robotc in my actions and speech. Too scared to show any emotion or personality.

Anyone else feel this?

My tutor is a really freindly and funny guy but everytime he tries to speak to me on a one to one basis I freak out. I sort of try to look him in the eyes but spend most of the conversation worrying about my presentation and miss half of what he is saying.
I have also notice that I visibly shake when engaged in conversation.
This is really getting me down as I tought I was quite confident in my last job.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:23

Default Re: Boring and dull

I'm boring and dull as well.

Let's start a Yahoo club
Old 4th November 2008, 22:44

Mood
Breezy

yeah ive been there always trying to stare someone in the eyes while talking can be hard usually happens when im talking to somone i havent met before or havent spoken to in a while
Old 4th November 2008, 22:59

Mood
Fine

That is exactly how I feel at the moment as well, I feel like I have absolutely no personality and everyone else just seems so interesting. It was horrible in my group meeting today everyone was telling all these funny stories and I was just sat there freaking out.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:00

Mood
Musical

Yeah i think i'm boring and very dull too...
Old 4th November 2008, 23:12

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by {T}meister
Yeah i think i'm boring and very dull too...
Ditto quite often, or at least now. :rolleyes:
Old 4th November 2008, 23:12

Mood
Lucky

Yeah...most people speak out during lessons but its like my mouth is physically zipped shut!
Old 4th November 2008, 23:13

Mood
Apelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnt
I have just began to realise how very boring and dull I am.
Snap.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:25

Mood
Tired

Quote:

I just seem to be very uninteresting, almost robotc in my actions and speech. Too scared to show any emotion or personality.

Anyone else feel this?
Thats exactly how I feel about myself.

I'd like to think that underneath my social anxiety there is this witty, articulate person trying to get out, but I get the feeling that even without SA I'd still be a complete dullard.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:32

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle
Thats exactly how I feel about myself.

I'd like to think that underneath my social anxiety there is this witty, articulate person trying to get out, but I get the feeling that even without SA I'd still be a complete dullard.
It's so unfair. No wonder i don't have any friends or social life...Can't blame anyone for not wanting to be in my company really...I probably send them to sleep!
Old 4th November 2008, 23:35

yeah its horrible seeing someones eyes glaze over while trying to hold a conversation with them.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:56

Mood
Lucky

I know i have a personality inside...he just wont come out to play!!!
When i have a few drinks inside me i have been known to be the life of the party..and people can't belive it..it feels great. I gain a personality!
Wish i could have that feeling all the time...
Old 5th November 2008, 00:34

I think in the right company you(generalization, not you) are much more at ease and have your true personality come through. Just with other company and we're more inhibited. And I don't think this is just restricted to 'saers' because there are others who are more reserved in certain companies than others.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:37

Mood
Breezy

The mind is like a train if you think bad things it will pick them up and drop them off at the back, but if you think good things it will drop them off instead so constantly think you are amazing, attractive and funny and thats what you will become works for me ne way not to say i dont have my problems.
Old 5th November 2008, 00:42

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah08
I think in the right company you(generalization, not you) are much more at ease and have your true personality come through. Just with other company and we're more inhibited. And I don't think this is just restricted to 'saers' because there are others who are more reserved in certain companies than others.
Good post
Old 5th November 2008, 08:00

Quote:
I have also notice that I visibly shake when engaged in conversation.
I shake as well when I'm really uncomfortable with someone I'm talking to. I get progressively colder and in the past I used to think it was just cold where we were talking, but now I know it's me being anxious. I've asked friends who have also been present and they say they didn't notice, so I think I disguise it just about ok, but when I've left the situation my teeth chatter uncontrollably, my shoulders are frozen up around my ears and I feel all over the place.
Old 5th November 2008, 09:43

i know its easier said than done. but the trick is not to care. I was at a party last week and i was almost falling asleep when this girl was talking about her wedding, but you could see she was really excited and she rambled non stop for 5 minutes. and i just thought to myself "she has no idea that she was boring as shit just then" and she will never know!! god ignorance is bliss...

I hate it when i say something funny in a group of people and it lifts my confidence up heaps, then i say something else that i think is equally as funny and people look at me strangely...i say to myself "thats what you get for being too confident"
Old 5th November 2008, 09:46

Mood
Worried

Thats how i feel to. im back in college and a bit older than everyone wlse. They all seem more intresting than me x
Old 5th November 2008, 09:54

Mood
Notamused

Looks at everyone blankly (slightly cross-eyed) for half an hour...
Old 5th November 2008, 10:00

Mood
Cool

Trouble is SA can have this effect on people because we start to believe that our lack of social success automatically means that we aren't interesting to others and yet if we weren't so anxious when put into those situations we'd probably come across as being far more interesting then we believe.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:06

Mood
Notamused

From the SA meets I've been to I've found SA peeps to be no more or less interesting than the average population.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:57

Mood
Lucky

Everyone else seems to have opinions with good arguments to back them up...If i tried to back up an opinion of mine and somebody questioned it i would probably back down and accept their veiwpoint just to avoid any further confrontation.
This makes me look even more dull...I just wish I could stand up for myself without feeling like I've been skydiving or summat. lol
Old 5th November 2008, 12:16

Oh, I've always thought I was the most boring person on the planet. I've had numerous people come up to me and say I'm not boring etc.

Like has been said, with my SA, I really find it hard to believe I'm not. Through my life, I've always thought I was a boring sod, and it's just so difficult for me to think differently.

Mega Bee: Exactly know how you feel. Happens too often with me.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:25

I'm a member of the dull and boring brigade as well.I'm a bit like Joe from next door in the Royle family.
Old 5th November 2008, 12:35

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Everyone else seems to have opinions with good arguments to back them up...If i tried to back up an opinion of mine and somebody questioned it i would probably back down and accept their veiwpoint just to avoid any further confrontation.
This makes me look even more dull...I just wish I could stand up for myself without feeling like I've been skydiving or summat. lol
That's just your lack of assertiveness and lack of self esteem.
Closed Thread