SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th September 2007, 12:26

Default insomnia

Can anyone identify with this? In addition to my SA I find sleeping very difficult. I can take hours to get to sleep, probably due to worrying that I won't be able to, then I wake at least a couple of times during the night and when it's finally time to get up I feel horrendously tired for most of the day. This in turn makes me feel more anxious and quite tearful as it's hard to function when you feel so tired.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:09

Mood
Angelic

Default Re: insomnia

I suffer from acute insomnia. I have a private doctor who has prescribed me with every type of sedative / sleeping pill on the market over the 12 years that I have been with him. You become addicted to them and then they stop working.

Some days, I start counting the hours till medication time as soon as I get up.

Keeping yourself very busy and physically active until about 6pm and then just reading/ watching telly for the few hours before bed time is a apprach to take.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:28

Mood
Balanced

i;ve been prescribed with respirdal, its an anti-psychotic, it gets me to sleep every night and lifts my appetite(might be good for the anorexia folks)

might work for you, other thing is: are you getting enough exercise?

all that pent up energy can make restlesssnesss turn into sleeplessness. i've recently taken up yoga for wimps - it's quite good

goodluck anyhow
Old 12th September 2007, 13:37

I go through long patches where I have lots of difficulty getting to sleep. I just can't seem to turn my mind off when I go to bed, and if I'm feeling down at the time, it's usually only a matter of time before my thoughts get stuck in a depressive quagmire. Fatigue and depression don't go well together
Old 12th September 2007, 20:54

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin
I go through long patches where I have lots of difficulty getting to sleep. I just can't seem to turn my mind off when I go to bed, and if I'm feeling down at the time, it's usually only a matter of time before my thoughts get stuck in a depressive quagmire. Fatigue and depression don't go well together
Yep, i'm like this too, - like i've switched off my head by the switch, unplugged the flipping thing, removed the fuse, and chucked it in the bin, - BUT IT'S STILL BLOODY WORKING...!!!
Old 12th September 2007, 22:40

Mood
Sunshine

I sometimes experience this, but i find meditation helps. It makes me really drowsy that I have no choice but to go to sleep.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:33

I've found this more and more of a problem recently...

Its directly related (for me) to not wanting to go to work the next day... so I avoid going to bed, then I avoid going to sleep for aslong as possible.. I'm not sure if this really counts as insomnia in the classical sense.. but it seems to have a similar effect.. I'm usually pretty luckly to get 6 hours a night and even with that I'm usually pretty tired the next day.. which means I'll have a nap or somthing in the evening, which results in genuinly not being able to sleep later... a nice vicious cycle..

I definalty feel for anyone who has trouble related to sleeping/sleep patterns.

The worst thing is that I can't think that drugs will help me because falling asleep really isn't the problem..

although on the bright side I've found that tiring oneself out by making sure you keep yourself busy during the day then maybe going for a run about a hour before bed can really help... also and this might sound strange.. but having a big meal (pasta etc) can help some times, I think this is because it diverts blood flow away from the brain to the stomoch making it easier to relax ?

anyway :-)
Closed Thread