SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th March 2021, 22:40

Default Re: Last thing you bought

^ & ^^ aren't they just the cutest!

Can't wait for them to arrive *sqeee*. I'll post pics when they're built.
Old 20th March 2021, 22:54

Food or a book
Old 25th March 2021, 22:36

Some dark chocolate covered cherries from Harrods for my sister. £6 for a tiny box I hope she likes them.
Old 25th March 2021, 22:48

A pull up bar. Now I can do 5 pull-ups in a row but still have to improve my technique.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:26

This here record ^

It's all pink and marbley.
Old 28th March 2021, 00:03

^ I love house plants, sadly I can't ever remember to look after them :/. There's one invincible flower that I have that seems to thrive off of a complete lack of water.

I do have two cactuses. Dave vol.2 and Lil Fuzz.

I also went to a closed terrarium workshop, and that terrarium is doing really well. There's no effort involved after making it, it looks after itself really! I really want to make an open terrarium next.
Old 28th March 2021, 01:01

^^ I like houseplants, Nanuq, but am ashamed to say that I always forget to water them or they hate where I've positioned them. I also have to be careful because one of my cat's gets a lot of fur balls so is partial to chewing on greenery.

@Biscuits - I like that you've named your cacti!
What happened to Dave vol. 1 or shouldn't I ask?

Which brings me on to the last thing I bought, along with the groceries, was a small pink hyacinth in a pot. When the flowers open the scent is devine and fills the whole room. The hyacinth is very short lived (a week at most) so not enough time to kill it.
Old 28th March 2021, 07:56

^ well, I thought if I assigned names to them I'd be more likely to remember to water them . It works!

Haha well, the story of Dave vol. 1 (just Dave) is that he was growing too big for his pot and needed repotting. I watched YouTube videos and read articles about which soil to use etc. My family playfully make fun of me for not being able to look after plants, so I wanted to do it correctly! Dave did not like his new home, it's like he went into shock. He changed colour and went all wet and soggy. I felt really bad because I was so careful. I must have done something wrong though. Dave vol. 2 needs reporting soon. Eeek. I'm tempted to take it to a professional.

Hyacinths do smell gorgeous, such a lovely bucket.

Old 1st April 2021, 12:12

First time going Amazon Fresh to collect an order. I brought fresh single cream without needing to go to a checkout. Was a weird experience.

Old 1st April 2021, 12:21

Mood
Alienated

People-less shops will be the only way I'll step foot in a shop again if I have it my way.

Other people chatting about complete bollocks right in front of the milk you went in for is beyond irritating. Go be social elsewhere, not right in the middle of a packed food aisle each with your trolley with 3 items in.

I hope we get the Amazon shops up here in the north!
Old 1st April 2021, 13:18

^^ wow! Didn't realise it was a grocery place! What are the prices like? Waitrose-y?
Old 1st April 2021, 13:46

Mood
Breezy

Expensive i bet
Old 1st April 2021, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^^ wow! Didn't realise it was a grocery place! What are the prices like? Waitrose-y?
I only brought cream it was something like £2. A bit more expensive than Tesco but not really too expensive for a one off. The place seemed to have mostly processed foods so wouldn’t really do groceries there.
Old 1st April 2021, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
People-less shops will be the only way I'll step foot in a shop again if I have it my way.

Other people chatting about complete bollocks right in front of the milk you went in for is beyond irritating. Go be social elsewhere, not right in the middle of a packed food aisle each with your trolley with 3 items in.

I hope we get the Amazon shops up here in the north!
There are security and shop assistants right when you step in.
Old 1st April 2021, 14:14

What it can be in a few years over here. However I am a bit sceptical as Amazon is tracking even more data about us.
Old 1st April 2021, 14:30

All your food purchases are being tracked anyway if you ever do your shopping online or have a store card. That one doesn't seem any different, it's just a very slight extension of all the other tracking Amazon do that people say they mind but never do anything about.

I always use handheld scanner thing in Tesco and I've noticed that all my "random" searches are done if I haven't bought something I usually buy or if I buy something that their algorithms have obviously decided is unusual for me. I can go for months without a search, but the week where I've decided not to buy a bottle of wine I can guarantee I'll get stopped for a check. It's very, very easy to steal things with that method of shopping even if you do get a random check, so I imagine they'll adopt the same technology as Amazon at some point. Everywhere will.

Even if you don't use a store card or shop online, they still track how much and often you buy things based on your card transactions, linking that information with your receipts to analyse the data. The only way of getting around any tracking would be using cash.
Old 1st April 2021, 16:11

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect_perfectionist
There are security and shop assistants right when you step in.
Is it not the same as these other Amazon shops where its completely empty, you go in scan something with your phone and walk out with whatever you want and it knows who you are based on your amazon account and just charges you later?

Or is that still on in US?

My bigger issue is the customers not the staff though
Old 1st April 2021, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect_perfectionist

What it can be in a few years over here. However I am a bit sceptical as Amazon is tracking even more data about us.
It looks so well organised, clean, fresh and incredibly aesthetically pleasing!

I assumed it would be similar to Argos (in terms of the goods being sold).
Old 1st April 2021, 16:28

Amazon will be doing our bin collections soon, while Facebook take over as your energy provider. Frightening times.
Old 1st April 2021, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
Is it not the same as these other Amazon shops where its completely empty, you go in scan something with your phone and walk out with whatever you want and it knows who you are based on your amazon account and just charges you later?

Or is that still on in US?

My bigger issue is the customers not the staff though
It’s the same but instead of shop keepers there are people guarding the place. I saw one person who told me how to scan the qr code for the gates. A security guard, someone guarding the wine area I think, a person who took care of Amazon deliveries and another woman.
Old 2nd April 2021, 15:29

A few kilos of chocolate for making lots of Easter chocolates and brownies, plus more tomato and chilli seeds despite promising myself I was going to reduce the amount I grew, not increase it :/
Old 2nd April 2021, 17:06

^ growing chilli is great. You can hang them up to dry and use them in winter, or grind them into oil. Can neve have too much

We always have too many tomatoes but put them on the bush for the neighbours to help themselves to. Cucumbers too. Teenage boys take the cucumbers and eat them whole like a long apple!
Old 2nd April 2021, 17:32

Hey biscuits! Ahh that’s lovely I’ve never had toooo much success with chillis - killed most of them off super early last year and didn’t get too many the year before but I have my fingers crossed this year! I just don’t have the space for too many more plants! Getting close to 30 varieties of tomatoes and I haven’t even started the cucumbers and courgettes yet 😳
Old 4th April 2021, 20:06

T7600 cpu, 250gb ssd, and 4gb ram. i refuse to give up on my ancient dell inspiron 6400

it's probably older than some of the posters on sauk!
Old 4th April 2021, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Longer Human
My new bike.

I don't like to admit it, aware as I still am of the new dent in my bank balance, but I'm slightly disappointed. Because it is a bit of a beast with its 1250cc engine everything so far is kinda... effortless. Eg overtaking carriageway speeds in 2nd gear without the bike even trying or making much ado about it. Some of this best fun I ever had was on my first ever 50cc scooter that struggled to do 30mph. I think this will be my last "big bike" and in future I'm going to go back to learner or newbie bikes. Maybe this one will grow on me the next few months when I start taking it to camp sites, etc.
what bike is it nlh? i've got an old yamaha fj1200 ive had since 2007
Old 4th April 2021, 21:48

Mood
Creative

I bought some vermouth for my risotto. £7 on Amazon.
Old 13th April 2021, 22:46

^ I thought of you the other day when I fancied some unseasonable
stollen. Was wondering where I could get some from .
Old 14th April 2021, 15:03

^ so annoying that Christmas dessert fare is akin to a heart attack on a plate for us sweet tooth addicts. I could scoff Xmas pud and cream every single day. I already eat far too many mince pies for months either side of Christmas when they’re in the shops, putting a six pack of them into a bowl, add some milk, 20 seconds in the microwave, absolute heaven. As for Christmas cake, as a total marzipan addict, I could eat that daily, hourly too. Fortunately I’m not prone to putting on weight, but my arteries must be furred to buggery!
Old 14th April 2021, 18:01

^ & ^^! Oh man, men... I could do with a cheap mince pie being in my belly right now. They're always the best ones.

Christmas cake is amazing. I'm sure I've had one as a birthday before because I think it's a traditional birthday cake recipe.
Old 15th April 2021, 18:27

What feels like a million of these

As I've been salaciously abusing Costa's 50th birthday offer the last few days.