SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th September 2021, 11:42

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

A Tribe Called Jam - I love what you said.
I didn't want to say anything before reading the article properly, but my first thoughts were along the lines of "It has to be better than nothing" and things are progressing, even if it's still too slow. I also have 2 young mixed kids, and I know how much more "reassured" and proud I feel when they see BAME people represented.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tribe Called Jam
As someone from a mixed ethnic background, it pleases me so much to see a person of ethnic background being celebrated by the British people. But you're right, it's fked up that it takes something like this to be accepted by white brits, when they don't give a fk about immigrants.

But when I see stuff like the achievements of Emma or the England team having mostly black players, I don't think about what white brits think, I think of the british kids from ethnic backgrounds who are now growing up seeing themselves represented on the biggest stage in the world and being celebrated whilst flying the British flag. I grew up never seeing my people represented in the media, we were very rarely cheered by white brits, as a kid all we were sold was the great white hope. But I'm glad that my two young children, who are even more mixed than I am, are now growing up in a time where they are seeing people like them being represented and celebrated, especially in a sport like tennis where it's participants and spectators are usually all white. Growing up seeing stuff like this is powerful to young ethnic children in Britain. Yeah it's important that the white brits celebrate ethnic minorities with foreign names in sport, I love that, but to us being represented and the positive impact that it has on the young generation of ethnic brits is what really matters.
Different priorities, I guess. It's more important to me for everyone to be accepted and to live without hate than for some individuals to be able to dream of hitting a ball around professionally, but maybe that's just because I don't care for sports but I do have to live a life where I'm frequently reminded that I don't belong here. I think it's something that deserves more thought than a simple celebration of an inspirational figure. For me it just plays into and encourages the "you're one of the good ones" mindset. E.g. Farage (plus all those who think like him, which is a lot of people) not minding a Romanian immigrant if their offspring becomes a top athlete, celebrating it as a British achievement in fact, but an average Romanian immigrant who has moved here to do a low paid job can apparently **** off back home. Chinese immigrants, those of Chinese descent, and anyone assumed to be either based on their appearance have had a particularly tough 18 months too. A child dreaming of becoming a top sportsperson because someone who looks like them won a competition seems like an irrelevance when people like them can't even go to the supermarket without receiving abuse in the street. I suppose I always think about white Brits think since they're the ones who can make life difficult for people who aren't them.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Different priorities, I guess. It's more important to me for everyone to be accepted and to live without hate than for some individuals to be able to dream of hitting a ball around professionally, but maybe that's just because I don't care for sports but I do have to live a life where I'm frequently reminded that I don't belong here. I think it's something that deserves more thought than a simple celebration of an inspirational figure. For me it just plays into and encourages the "you're one of the good ones" mindset. E.g. Farage (plus all those who think like him, which is a lot of people) not minding a Romanian immigrant if their offspring becomes a top athlete, celebrating it as a British achievement in fact, but an average Romanian immigrant who has moved here to do a low paid job can apparently **** off back home. Chinese immigrants, those of Chinese descent, and anyone assumed to be either based on their appearance have had a particularly tough 18 months too. A child dreaming of becoming a top sportsperson because someone who looks like them won a competition seems like an irrelevance when people like them can't even go to the supermarket without receiving abuse in the street. I suppose I always think about white Brits think since they're the ones who can make life difficult for people who aren't them.
That's a really good response, thanks, and I do agree with you.

But my point was different.

I know it's not going to stop the racist abuse that's suffered everyday in this country, you're spot on. But my point was that being represented, not only in sport, but also in the media, politics, etc, etc, etc, will make the young generation of ethnic minorities feel less excluded from british culture.

I wasn't really pointing out that sporting achievements is the solution to end racism, but the feeling of inclusion that it gives a young black child, for example, when they see a black footballer with a name like 'Bukayo Saka' playing for England, that's huge and shouldn't be underestimated.

Will it change the attitudes of white brits towards people of ethnic backgrounds? I ain't got a clue.

Will it have a positive impact on a black child growing up in white britain and make them feel less excluded from British culture? I would say so.

That was my point, I guess.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:50

........... P.s- I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, I promise i don't mean to be, but the fact that you have that belief and the mindset of despising the hate and inequalities that exist in our society towards ethnic minorities (and in general).... I'm so glad that people like you exist, and there should be more people like you.

Peace.
Old 13th September 2021, 13:07

Ha thanks, I'm an immigrant and ethnic minority myself so it's something I've had to live with/think about most of my life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this anyway, it's good to see what people think and I always enjoy talking about things like this.

I feel bad for derailing the thread so to bring it back on topic, I recently finished The White Lotus, which was great! Only six episodes, a complete story and very, very funny. Good to see Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite after all these years too
Old 13th September 2021, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla
A Tribe Called Jam - I love what you said.
I didn't want to say anything before reading the article properly, but my first thoughts were along the lines of "It has to be better than nothing" and things are progressing, even if it's still too slow. I also have 2 young mixed kids, and I know how much more "reassured" and proud I feel when they see BAME people represented.
So sorry Tortilla, I completely missed this. Thank you, and yeah I totally know what you mean.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:51

Mood
Breezy

Yes, it's sad that louise minchin is leaving.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:34

Mood
Alienated

The Cleaner - a new sitcom with Greg Davis. I loved everything I’ve seen him in, so had high hopes for this. But the first episode fell a bit flat with me. The whole premise of the storyline was all over the place and a bit ridiculous. I shall watch the next episode though and give it another go. But I hope Davis makes another series of Man Down - that was brilliant.

Sex Education - seems to be another highly rated series that I can’t understand why it’s highly rated. I watched an episode, well almost a full episode as I couldn’t be bothered to watch the last 5 minutes. Firstly, it’s a British programme set in a British school, but the school is definitely made to look like an American high school which I find confusing and wierd. The storylines seemed more like a soap series, and all about sex and relationships (hence the title haha) - there’s more to life as a teenager, though I accept it’s a big thing for many. In conclusion, really not my thing and I can’t understand the hype.
Frankly when it comes to coming of age series, nothing beats The Inbetweeners.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:26

I don't mind Sex Education. I though the first series was very good, then the next one just okay, so I'm not too excited about the new one but I'll watch it. I guess it could be called "educational", but more in terms of it's about characters with a whole range of different attitudes towards sex, levels of experience, different tastes, orientations, etc, so probably more sex positive than educational.

The aesthetic of the show is quite strange though. I think it was filmed in Wales, but the houses look kind of Scandinavian, the school American and some parts of the town very British. Maybe it was supposed to be kind of a universal setting, but I got used to it despite it being confusing at first.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:50

Yeah it is a bit like that - I definitely wouldn't watch it with your kids in the room
Old 17th September 2021, 14:59

I've been watching The Office (the American version) after someone talked highly of it here.

I wasn't too fussed at first because I kept comparing it unfavourably to the British version but it's growing on me a lot and I'll be sad when it's finished. The main character is obviously meant to come across as incredibly annoying but I am finding him so much more attractive than Ricky Gervais so that's not really working for me
Old 17th September 2021, 15:02

Mood
Breezy

I never could get into the office.
Old 17th September 2021, 17:56

Gilmore Girls

For the 344545645th time.
Old 17th September 2021, 22:56

I just finished Westworld season 3.

I thought it was slow to start but the final five episodes were stunning and exciting!

I was sad to see that people absolutely slated it for characters not being portrayed as they expected, but I love ambiguous characters and shows that don't really have anyone you want to root for.
Old 18th September 2021, 12:37

Quote:
The main character is obviously meant to come across as incredibly annoying but I am finding him so much more attractive than Ricky Gervais so that's not really working for me
You're the second person I know to recommend. Is it Steve Carell? I do like Steve Carell.

I've been watching Fleabag again.
Old 18th September 2021, 13:14

Mood
Breezy

Does anyone know if alphas is available on netflix?
Old 18th September 2021, 16:19

^ I just searched for ya and it's a no.
Old 19th September 2021, 10:39

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ I just searched for ya and it's a no.
Aw, thanks biscuits.
Old 19th September 2021, 12:42

^ I love that series!
Old 19th September 2021, 16:07

Yep. It’s from a few years back. The second series isn’t anywhere near as good as the first in my difficult to please opinion.
Old 19th September 2021, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortilla
You're the second person I know to recommend. Is it Steve Carell? I do like Steve Carell.

I've been watching Fleabag again.
Yep. Steve Carrell is a force of nature in this and steals the show. If you're gonna give it a go, don't be too judgey of the 1st season because it's a (almost) like for like imitation of the UK Office and is really quite different from what it eventually becomes.
Old 21st September 2021, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Gilmore Girls

For the 344545645th time.
Ooh I've been tempted to re watch that again - always used to be my go to when I was feeling a bit low.

Just finished Undercover on Netflix and started new series of Money Heist and first series of Back to Life. Looking forward to the return of Bake Off and Buzzcocks tonight and Taskmaster on Thurs - double Fielding and double Davies 👌
Old 21st September 2021, 12:17

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm looking forward to The Bakeoff and Taskmaster too
Old 21st September 2021, 12:45

Something feels weird about the new series of Gone Fishing. I think the locations are probably more boring this time, and it feels kind of rushed. It's still good, but I think perhaps it might be time to end it before it outstays its welcome.
Old 21st September 2021, 13:27

Mood
Breezy

I'm looking forward to taskmaster too.
Old 21st September 2021, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia
Ooh I've been tempted to re watch that again - always used to be my go to when I was feeling a bit low.

Just finished Undercover on Netflix and started new series of Money Heist and first series of Back to Life. Looking forward to the return of Bake Off and Buzzcocks tonight and Taskmaster on Thurs - double Fielding and double Davies 👌
Aww, same here! I was feeling low so put it on the other day. It's such a comfort!

Thanks for the reminder of Bake Off!

I'm loving the Black Forest love from two of the bakers. That's my favourite big cake
Old 21st September 2021, 20:29

Mood
Cynical

The German guy is great, and he seems to be doing well. There's a young lady who is vegan too, yay
Old 21st September 2021, 21:04

^ I don't know how, but I won a baking company at uni with vegan cakes once ! Vegan cakes have come a long way, to the point where you can't even tell the difference!
Old 21st September 2021, 21:13

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh well done! Yes they can be very good now.
Old 21st September 2021, 21:29

company = competition! I don't own a company!