SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th November 2006, 02:35

Default Venlafaxine (Efexor)

I've recently been prescribed this drug (starting at 75mg per day for 1 week, then 150mg per day) to try to help with some of the residual depression symptoms which fluoxetine hasn't helped with. Specifically, these are excessive tiredness, lack of concentration and motivation and a sense of everything requiring ten times more effort to do than would normally be the case. I also feel flat and lifeless a lot of the time (although this is vastly preferable to how I felt a few months back).

Has anyone had any experience with this medication? I'm particularly interested in any effect on social anxiety, although this wasn't the reason I was prescribed it. I've been on it for 2 days now and haven't noticed any difference, but then I wouldn't really expect to after just 2 days.
Old 25th November 2006, 05:03

Default Re: Venlafaxine (Efexor)

i've tried loads of antidepressants but this is the best one i have every tried. the bulk of my depression and anxiety has been eliminated due to this drug. i am however on a higher dose than you, 225mg a day. for the first 2 or 3 weeks on this drug i felt a bit manic as though i was on speed, when i was drinking my eyes were wide and a few people thought i was on speed, after a few weeks it calmed down. this drug has improved the quality of my life immensely. the only downside is that it is near impossible to wean yourself off the drug as the withdrawal symptoms are so bad. but if your feeling shit i say go for it
Old 25th November 2006, 14:31

The withdrawal is a bit of a worry, it seems to be a common thing reported with this drug. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people suffer significant withdrawal problems - of course, you hear about the ones that do but people generally don't mention that they've had no problems.

Oh well, I'll worry about that when the time comes.
Old 25th November 2006, 21:32

Mood
Thinking

I've been on it over 5.5 years, but don't really know how much I need it anymore. I started takin it in 2001 (75mg per day) when I had what I'll call a 'psychotic epsiode' after cannabis withdrawal. The 1st one I took, I got really irritable and experienced a heightened sense of arousal, for want of a better description......Then, within about a week or 2 I was alright.

I've tried to come off it with little success, but I suppose it depends on wots goin on for u in ur life at the time. I.e. are u using a talking therapy? Are u @ uni and feeling lonely & out of place like I was?

Recently I've been takin about 37.5mg. If I take more I feel like a zombie, and it tends to bring on OCD-like symptoms.

So, in summary then, I think it saved my life @ first, but is not really needed now. My GP says I'm only on it now coz I think I need to be. Unlike others, this is the only medication I have tried.

I suppose as long as u don't see it as something that will solve ya probs its all gud.

Old 26th November 2006, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
I have taken this for nearly five years and it is by far the best anti-depressant I have tried. I am working towards coming off them completely and just this week have halved my daily dose from 150mg to 75mg and so far I haven't noticed any problems because of the lower dose.
Well that's reassuring, thanks! I'm actually on both drugs at the moment (20mg of fluoxetine and 75mg venlafaxine daily) for a sort of crossover period. I'm still ridiculously sleepy - I only managed to get out of bed at 2pm and fell asleep again at 8pm. Maybe once I'm off the fluoxetine altogether this will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyboyoh
I've tried to come off it with little success, but I suppose it depends on wots goin on for u in ur life at the time. I.e. are u using a talking therapy? Are u @ uni and feeling lonely & out of place like I was?
That's what started the whole thing off, yes.

<edited to remove section which didn't really add anything>

There seems to be a general feeling that talking therapies are better than drugs, but the counselling that I've had falls into the same usefulness category as chocolate teapots and inflatable dartboards. I suppose that when I was feeling at my worst just being able to talk to someone about it was a comfort, but I don't think it actually helped me get better. Maybe I should do a poll on here to see what people think have helped them the most. Still, I've just started seeing someone new and she seems quite a lot better than the last person, so maybe this time.

Phew, that was a long one. I actually felt awake for once (might have had something to do with getting a huge amount of sleep in the past 24 hours!). Or maybe this drug's having an effect already.
Old 26th November 2006, 02:00

I agree that you have to have you life more or less in some kind of order when you decide to come off the drug. In my case i was smoking too much marijuana and not exercising enough when i tried reducing my dose.
I recommend effexor if you are still having problems with energy levels, energy levels being directly related to depression. I'm not sure if it's the effexor but i required 10 hours a sleep a night to feel like i've had a good sleep.
Personally I think talking therapies are just expensive stress relief that you can do with pen and paper. I believe that a long term determined approach to cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) complimented with meds will give the most success, however your case may be different to mine. CBT changes the way you feel by changing the way you think by challenging your negative internal chatter, you can learn it by reading books and getting a psychologist to teach you. The thing with CBT is that recovery is a accumulative process, whereby the more years of CBT you have under your belt the greater the benefits you will see from it
Hope some of that helped you
Old 26th November 2006, 21:02

Been on 225mg of Venlafaxine for about 3 years. It has really helped with anxiety and depression, making me super cool and laid back. I've had no side effects other than cold like symptons when I first started taking it, but as has been mentioned coming of it is supposed to be hard. I know if I miss a couple of days I get like like pulses through my body and become really bad tempered.

So yeah, Venlafaxine has helped me. I believe the logic in taking these meds is to get you doing things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, so that once these things become easier you won't need the meds.
Old 26th November 2006, 23:08

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swollen Goat
Been on 225mg of Venlafaxine for about 3 years. It has really helped with anxiety and depression, making me super cool and laid back. I've had no side effects other than cold like symptons when I first started taking it, but as has been mentioned coming of it is supposed to be hard. I know if I miss a couple of days I get like like pulses through my body and become really bad tempered.

So yeah, Venlafaxine has helped me. I believe the logic in taking these meds is to get you doing things that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do, so that once these things become easier you won't need the meds.

225mg?..........Do u rattle when u walk by any chance?
Old 27th November 2006, 16:48

Thanks to everyone for your comments, I'll stick with it and see what happens. Though if this doesn't work I don't know what I'll do.
Old 1st January 2007, 18:02
Moody Mare

Thats good to hear, I was on efexor at 1st for a while and it seems to be the only one that has ever suited me but didnt totally cut the sides. Im now thinking wether I should ask to try it again instead of them keeping changing me onto meds which just dont suit me, make me ill, space me out etc. I did have a manic hyper episode on them but after the event I found out those can be curbed with other meds to counteract the symptoms so it wasnt really the meds fault. At least when I was on them I wasnt agora.
Old 1st January 2007, 18:06

Well, I've been on them for a few weeks now and they really do seem to have done the trick. I feel pretty much normal again, as far as I can tell. Still some problems with tiredness and sleep disruption but that may be a side effect.

So, a thumbs up to this drug, at least for me. Hopefully things will be as easy when it's time to come off them.
Old 1st January 2007, 20:26

I found venlafaxine cvery good, I was on it, before some stupid doctor, who i only met once decided to stop it....
Old 7th January 2007, 11:32

How are you going on the Effexor. I start it this week after trying other things so need some positive encouragement.
Old 7th January 2007, 12:32
Moody Mare

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyju
How are you going on the Effexor. I start it this week after trying other things so need some positive encouragement.
Ive got one of the docs calling me 1st thing monday as me and my CMHT social worker discussed it and I think its best if im at least on something and Effexor has been the only thing that I felt ok on. Hopefully like before they will just prescribe over the phone because they seem quite reluctant to home visit because im housebound and prefer to do their doctoring over a phone which I hate. Im hoping going back on it at least helps curb the agora as when I was on it before I was fine. Fingers crosed eh and roll on my CBT.
Old 23rd March 2007, 23:34

hey robbied, gd luck with it man. Another success story here, i started taking it roughly a year ago 75 mg twice a day. Been depression free since then, had a psychotic episode but that was unrelated. Compared to other anti d's i got fewer side effects aswell n they will pass anyway in time
Old 24th March 2007, 01:10

Ah, this old thread.

I'd quite like to come off it now, as the depression has completely gone. Well, I haven't noticed any problems for the past 2-4 weeks anyway. On the other hand, I'm still getting tired very easily and I wonder if it's the drug that's causing it. However, the doctor said that I should stay on for 6 months to reduce the chance of relapse, so there we go.

Anyway, I may be about to find out about these "discontinuation reactions" as I'm visiting my parents this weekend and I've forgotten my pills...
Old 24th March 2007, 12:13

So far in this thread, there have only been positives on Venlafaxine. I need to balance that as I am one of the many that it hasn't worked for. Indeed, it has made me worse and I am now struggling to get off it, the withdrawal is a nightmare.
I would simply say, before starting this or any psych drug, to learn all the facts first, research your med and don't just assume that, because a few have benefited, you will too.

Just say 'know' to prescription drugs.
Old 24th March 2007, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee
So far in this thread, there have only been positives on Venlafaxine. I need to balance that as I am one of the many that it hasn't worked for. Indeed, it has made me worse and I am now struggling to get off it, the withdrawal is a nightmare.
I would simply say, before starting this or any psych drug, to learn all the facts first, research your med and don't just assume that, because a few have benefited, you will too.

Just say 'know' to prescription drugs.
No your not the only one. Struggling to get off them. Down to 37.5mg. Can't get pass that. I left a response in another thread "Medication and the role it plays in your life."
Old 24th March 2007, 15:43

The withdrawal symptons are too bad.
Old 24th March 2007, 16:34

A simple Google on Venlafaxine or SSRI withdrawal will lead you to the various problems encountered.
Old 24th March 2007, 17:05

Thanks for advice, but have already experienced withdrawal symptons, get them even if I take dose later than usual in the day. Symptons include lightheadness and increased anxiety. I am taking on quite alot of new challenges at the moment(including being part of this forum.) Need my life to be more stable before I can stop taking altogether. But will consider going down to half a pill.
Old 24th March 2007, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsp3
Thanks for advice, but have already experienced withdrawal symptons, get them even if I take dose later than usual in the day. Symptons include lightheadness and increased anxiety. I am taking on quite alot of new challenges at the moment(including being part of this forum.) Need my life to be more stable before I can stop taking altogether. But will consider going down to half a pill.
I was aiming the advice at the previous poster actually, who asked why we can't just stop them.
I take it you're on the standard release Hsp3? I'm on the extended release version in capsule form.
Old 24th March 2007, 17:28

I believe substituting a longer-lived antidepressant such as fluoxetine can help, as it's eliminated from the body over several days, not several hours like venlafaxine. If you've had no luck stopping even if you reduce dose slowly it may be worth a try. Of course, I'm not a doctor.

No problems for me so far, but I've only missed one dose.
Old 24th March 2007, 18:25

Thanks for that, will talk to my doctor about it.
Old 25th March 2007, 16:38

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsp3
No your not the only one. Struggling to get off them. Down to 37.5mg. Can't get pass that. I left a response in another thread "Medication and the role it plays in your life."

I haven't got passed that either....... I'm basically back up to 75mg, although every other day (or every other other day) cut one of the 37.5's in half........ The old nail-file thing.
Old 25th March 2007, 22:46
Birdsworth

I've been on the slow release version of this for about 4 years now and I have no intention of stopping - and my Doctor is in agreement with me. I suffer from OCD as well as SA and have never been as well as I have, since taking it. I dont really understand why I should stop, unless it is affecting me.

My mum was taking it for a similar amount of time, but had to stop due to another non-related medical problem. Under the guidance of her doctor, she found it pretty easy - the only troubling effect was a difficulty in getting to sleep at first.

Just stopping it without gradually lowering the dose is bound to have a negative effect - afterall, it takes a while to build up in your system before it works properly. I ran out of mine recently and wasnt able to get anymore for a couple of days - by the end of day 2 I was suffering
Old 25th March 2007, 23:19

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder
I believe substituting a longer-lived antidepressant such as fluoxetine can help, as it's eliminated from the body over several days, not several hours like venlafaxine. If you've had no luck stopping even if you reduce dose slowly it may be worth a try. Of course, I'm not a doctor.

No problems for me so far, but I've only missed one dose.

I asked me GP bout this and he said shouldn't mess around with choppin and changin until the CBT person at the Oz sees me 'how I am' on Venlafaxine......Spose it makes sense really.

Well, that was months ago now, so happen I'll pay him another soon and bring it up agen.....

The thing is, you get the feelin that when u mention anythin like half-life to the quacks, they're thinkin:

'Listen to this jumped-up little sh1t; he's done a bit of reading and thinks he's fcukin Louis Pascal'
Old 31st March 2007, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbied84
Right, after 4 days, the withdrawal side-effects are here. (i've had them before so they're recognisable now!)

My head feels totally woozy, my movements are jerky, it feels like everything is in slo-mo and passing me by!!! Like a dream. It's weird. There's no pain or anything but i don't think I could make it to the newsagent across the road without wobbling !!
I noticed something a bit odd on the second day without Efexor - a bit like you said, sort of a strange dreaminess and wooziness (is that a word? It is now...), as if I was somewhat detached from the world. It was quite mild though.
Old 31st March 2007, 22:17

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbied84
Update!

Right, after 4 days, the withdrawal side-effects are here. (i've had them before so they're recognisable now!)

My head feels totally woozy, my movements are jerky, it feels like everything is in slo-mo and passing me by!!! Like a dream. It's weird. There's no pain or anything but i don't think I could make it to the newsagent across the road without wobbling !! Plus my leg keeps twitching.

(I'll keep a 'diary' here of my citalopram -> Effexor change-over.)

Yeah, mate.......Sommat called 'Brain Shivers' apparently.........
U get that awful feelin where u can feel a trail followin u.......Slow-mo prob sums it up.
Old 1st April 2007, 00:45
Birdsworth

Good luck with it - it's early yet so you probably wont feel any different until a couple more days. I really hope it helps you Robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyboyoh
U get that awful feelin where u can feel a trail followin u.......Slow-mo prob somes it up.
That's a very good description
Closed Thread