SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th June 2014, 19:49

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Went and got my haircut which I've been putting off for ages! Also went and got my eyes tested, I need glasses, Which I'm not too fussed about, now to choose some that don't make me look like a ****!
Old 13th June 2014, 20:23

^ good stuff Craig, im currently putting both of those off although the glasses one is more because im too poor at the moment .
Old 13th June 2014, 20:58

^ Cheers bud! Haha i'm skint too man. They've got some pretty alright looking ones for about 20 in the Tesco Opticians, I might just pick them up until I can get a nicer looking pair. If you go into Tesco the eye test is free and if you're on JSA they'll give you a free pair of glasses upto like 38 or something.

P.S does a mod wanna tell me why '****' is censored? ahahah.
Old 17th June 2014, 15:44

Finally went back to my old 6th form to pick up my A level certificates. I've been dreading doing this since I don't want to explain how I dropped out of university etc to my old teachers. Luckily I didn't bump into anyone that I knew so that was a relief.
Old 17th June 2014, 16:59

Mood
Sad

I have messaged a couple of people from SAUK and also got in touch with someone I used to be friends with.

Also been looking at voluntary work on the Do It website. I've been at my current voluntary work for a long time, and feel like it's time to move on. I don't dislike it there but I am starting to feel like I'm stuck in a rut and that I need to start challenging myself, meet new people etc.
Old 18th June 2014, 09:47

yesterday morning i woke up a bit worried about the course the job centre sent me on but kept the thought its not as big of a deal in reality as it is in my head even if i do something silly etc. She split us up and i ended up speaking to the 2 guys next to me and realised quickly they were both down to earth and in similar situations which obviously put me at ease. I made myself really practice eye contact and because there was lots of joking about it made it easier. The woman opposite on the other side of the room kept looking at me so i smiled at her and she smiled back, she actually did it a few times throughout the day, those i cant thoughts are starting to turn into i can thoughts. All in all it was a good day exposure wise and i even stayed after along with 2 women to speak to her and ask a few questions i had so im fairly pleased with myself.
Old 18th June 2014, 09:56

Mood
Daring

well done Jason
Old 18th June 2014, 10:00

Mood
Bitching

its all great how everyone is making some kinda progress
soon you all will just shrug your shoulders at SA and realise how silly it is
Old 18th June 2014, 17:34

^hope so, nice avatar its good to see who your talking to i find it makes them seem more human.

@Thaigreen thanks .

Well last time i went swimming was after about an 8 year gap and long story short i almost drowned, the life guards were as good as useless and i ended up having to save myself, it was pretty traumatic and loads of people were laughing at me and taking the piss (i heard their comments). Anyway i was determined not to give up and try swimming again, so earlier i went with my dad we went into the kids pool , lucky for me it was empty, my sa made me feel incredibly self conscious but i figured if anyone takes the piss their ignorant. I felt like the life guards eyes were burning a hole in me but it was all in my head she was actually sitting in a relaxed manner with no expression. I tried swimming then just floating on my back etc but it was no use anytime i felt like my mouth was going underwater id panic about not being able to breath so i didn't really achieve anything classed as swimming and then a group of kids were having a lesson so i left but i still see it as an achievement just going. It is so frustrating that last time i went i was full of confidence and could swim and now i cant even do it in a kids pool i guess getting into the proper pool is decent motivation though. I felt like i was gonna be sick before leaving the house and i didn't notice anyone laughing or pointing or anything when i was there which was reassuring so im thinking of having proper lessons.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:41
Banned at own request

I usually am able to comfortably go lunch with the 3 male collegues at work. However I don't get on with the female collegue and hence feel SA around her. But today, as I had an early lunch, I ate in the office kitchen where she also was. Despite feeling SA and being treated like I was a ghost, she spoke to other ppl but not me, I didn't let that get to me as it was her that was acting the way she was and her reaction doesn't say much about me, she isn't that bad but isn't really nice to me, most times. She is a year younger than me and I sometimes get the feeling that she feels she has to please "the cool crowd."

I should be like this more often, negative treatment and some of my assumtions maintain my SA it seems so why give them power.
Old 20th June 2014, 16:49

Mood
Innocent

Talking Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Made a phonecall to the dentist, which I've been putting off for ages. It went better then all of the possibilities I'd thought up in my head.
Then i did this.
Old 20th June 2014, 18:50

Mood
Bitching

happily explained to a very happy and pretty Polish woman about the parking regulations nearby with eye contact and no anxiety at all.
might be winning but still, celebrate every success
Old 21st June 2014, 21:58

Mood
Happy

i always avoid going into town at the weekends as its way too busy but i actually went today and survived lol
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:33

feeling happy, confident and motivated. What caused this? reading about something that lead to an a'ha moment (new neural pathway being created?) that most probably made me get away from the regular self-defeating negative thoughts that normally plague my mind.
Old 24th June 2014, 16:28

Mood
Cheerful

Did an hour of driving around through traffic lights today. Traffic lights/ traffic jams used to be a trigger for panic but had a really good run the last few months until last Saturday. Approached a red light and felt a panic. Anyway, I decided to go back and do what I used to do which is drive through traffic lights non stop for an hour until I felt better. Bit jittery in places but otherwise went well. Car was making dodgy potential breakdown noises along the way so was an added extra worry for practice. lol All in all a good exposure therapy day
Old 24th June 2014, 18:07

Mood
Tired

^ Awesome, Nat! I went through the city centre for the first time during my driving lesson yesterday!

Today, I managed to help a girl with getting to a place by public transport. She asked me how to get to a town, and I just Googled directions via public transport. I let her know that there wasn't a bus directly to her destination, but she could get a bus to another town, and get another bus from there.

It's probably a small thing for most people, but if this happened a year ago, I probably would've said to her that I have no idea. Whenever I feel I'm not making any progress, I'll just think back to this moment.
Old 24th June 2014, 22:12

Mood
Cheerful

Thanks entity and well done to you too It all adds up
Old 25th June 2014, 12:47

At my group CBT yesterday i made a special effort to maintain eye contact and while doing it i thought of a way to help me do it, i tried to see what colour the woman's eyes were. Unfortunately i didn't have my glasses so i think they were blue but they may be green, anyway while trying to work it out i was maintaining eye contact which meant i had less focus on me feeling uncomfortable etc so im gonna try it some more and see how it goes.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:05

Mood
Daring

I'm going to keep a hand written log of my acheivements, I think.

At the gym this morning, I was doing some running on the treadmill, who I thought was my gym nemesis started to use the treadmill next to me, we had a conversation, he basically asked where my mate had went, meaning where my gym partner had gone, and he is under the thumb of his missus but that's another story.. lol..

Then he said how he looked like he didn't have a clue anyway and how he pretty much relied on me, which I thought was EXTREMELY complimenting! And how he thought it's not on for him to just use my training skills and then go. So so happy about being recognised as a valuable person.

We spoke about training, bodybuilding, competing, diet, all types of things, it was a very good in depth chat and no "um or yeah" type of thing, i'm trying to keep the ball rolling with conversation so much.

I want to have more experiences where I've let my SA or depression come between talking to people, and we've started talking and their absolutely gentle people.

It's funny though, because the guy was HUGE, and it was just nice to be recognised. And he had noticed how much I had helped my gym partner out. So so strange.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:30

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90
At my group CBT yesterday i made a special effort to maintain eye contact and while doing it i thought of a way to help me do it, i tried to see what colour the woman's eyes were. Unfortunately i didn't have my glasses so i think they were blue but they may be green, anyway while trying to work it out i was maintaining eye contact which meant i had less focus on me feeling uncomfortable etc so im gonna try it some more and see how it goes.
That's great you've found a way to maintain eye contact
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreen
I'm going to keep a hand written log of my acheivements, I think.

At the gym this morning, I was doing some running on the treadmill, who I thought was my gym nemesis started to use the treadmill next to me, we had a conversation, he basically asked where my mate had went, meaning where my gym partner had gone, and he is under the thumb of his missus but that's another story.. lol..

Then he said how he looked like he didn't have a clue anyway and how he pretty much relied on me, which I thought was EXTREMELY complimenting! And how he thought it's not on for him to just use my training skills and then go. So so happy about being recognised as a valuable person.

We spoke about training, bodybuilding, competing, diet, all types of things, it was a very good in depth chat and no "um or yeah" type of thing, i'm trying to keep the ball rolling with conversation so much.

I want to have more experiences where I've let my SA or depression come between talking to people, and we've started talking and their absolutely gentle people.

It's funny though, because the guy was HUGE, and it was just nice to be recognised. And he had noticed how much I had helped my gym partner out. So so strange.
Well done with the convo with him.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:22

I queued up at tesco today and spoke to the cashier for 15 minutes . After speaking to her for a while, she told me that I was a beautiful person (her words!) and that she wished me a good day.

Some nice people around after all
Old 25th June 2014, 23:17

Mood
Bitching

big test for me tomorrow as the site boss (an attractive young woman) has offered to drop me off where I live as taking the train is three hours where the drive is 40 minutes
already progress as in the past would desperately be thinking of excuses to not do this even though it inconveniences me, but now, no panic at all, maybe slightly nervy but trats not gonna stop me
Old 26th June 2014, 10:09

Mood
Bitching

I hope that was a metaphor and not reality.
Animal cruelty is just plain unacceptable
Old 26th June 2014, 10:18

Mood
Bitching

that's fine. I get your frustrations dude, just remember, this is the internet, sarcasm or jokey things don't always come across as so
Old 1st July 2014, 17:31
Banned

Mood
Scared

Had a small article written on my Art class and a selection of my students Art work in the Creative support newsletter. Felt all proud an sh*t when I saw it.

Old 1st July 2014, 17:34

^ Well done Master Button Must feel good about that.

I'm still working on my draftsmanship. Just bought 3 books on different topics I need to improve on; I'm at a good stage at the moment, but there's still progress to be made. Want to be at a really good standard for when I do illustration in September.

Was thinking about starting an art thread on here, so we could post our work and everything. Don't know if there's already something like that though.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:38
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ Thanks man. Yeah I couldn't stopping grinning when it saw it. *puffs out chest*

Well if you ever want a free art class, you can always come to Mancs and study at the gallery with me.

There is an art thread on here somewhere.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:40

Ever have one of those weird days where the universe just shifts ever so slightly and everything just seems to come together for you in a good way? I think i'm having one of those days.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:49

^^ Yeah maybe I could some time. There's still lots of improvement I have to make.

Okay great, I'll have a look for it.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:36
Banned at own request

It was my first day calling customers at work.