Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th April 2008, 19:20

Mood
Asleep

Default A small achievement but a big change in attitude

Was just going to call this a small achievement but there's another thread with that name

So today I was sitting around a table chatting with a group of friends laughing and joking and feeling utterly relaxed. A normal occurrence really but then factor in the fact that it was a mixed group of people my own age who I have known for less than two weeks and then the fact that the content girl chatting and joking used to freak out in all social situations and have only one friend in the world (and couldn’t given look her in the eye).

An even odder occurrence happened as well, we had to arrange some extra days with our boss and I was all set to go and speak to her but two of the girls were too scared to go. The woman isn’t mean but it quite abrupt and very busy. I found this extremely odd; I went and spoke to her without a glimmer of fear, even smiled and laughed, while two “norms” couldn’t face her. I’ve never been the more confident one before

Recently when I have gone into social situations I have still expected the old fear (sweaty hands, trembling, pulse racing, butterflies in stomach) and then been shocked when it hasn’t come and I just feel relaxed.
Even though it doesn’t come I still expect it every time. Since it has come in almost every social situation I have been in since the age of 10 and I am now 21 I guess I find it hard to accept that it is really gone.
Old 4th April 2008, 19:39

Default Re: A small achievement but a big change in attitude

Well done!

Sounds like things are really improving for you. Hope it continues
Old 4th April 2008, 23:34

Mood
Gloomy

Excellent!!

Remember, you've still gotta keep trying and putting yourself in situations outside your comfort zone- this is a big step, but i've made the mistake of relaxing at this point before and no longer making the same effort. As such I regressed somewhat. Not back to square-one mind, so don't be scared lol!

Well done again
Old 5th April 2008, 02:25
Mama Shaz

Well done Acacia
Old 5th April 2008, 10:37

That's excellent Acacia, really good news!
Old 5th April 2008, 14:02

Mood
Asleep

Thanks guys

You're right I must make sure I keep pushing myself.
I guess the real change is that before I could push myself all I wanted but still felt on edge inside and now I am getting more and more relaxed
I think this is largely due to the increase in my self esteem - I've finally decided I have a right to my own opinions rather than beating myself up about not having the same opinion as others.
Closed Thread