SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th February 2020, 14:03

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: The Autism, Asperger's and ASD Thread

^ Yes, I think atleast one of the students my Mum worked with had Williams syndrome.
Old 10th February 2020, 13:58

I do think you have a musical voice Firemonkey!

I generally think that some can learn to act neurotypical enough to get by but it is a huge cognitive load. I did see a comment on an autism in girls video from a young man who said he learnt to mask, but he didn't start doing it till his mid to late teens, so he was consciously aware he was doing it and that it would be a useful thing to do.
Old 11th February 2020, 18:32

^ Look on Google, YouTube and Amazon and there now seems to be a(n) (ever-growing) bunch of resources for women/girls with autism or who suspect they have it. Does this mean more are now being IDed? Dunno, but it's a noticeable trend.
Old 11th February 2020, 19:06

^You're right. Ever since I started wondering about four years ago, there has been a huge increase.
Old 11th February 2020, 20:37

Btw, I recently had an Adult Autism Assessment and am now awaiting a possible diagnosis.
Old 11th February 2020, 23:12

Cool! I mean, not cool, but you know, well done for making that happen. Did you go through your GP?
Old 12th February 2020, 09:55

^ Nah, I went the private route. Costly, but, well, I didn't want to bother my GP with it. Besides, I wanted a fairly prompt answer.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:40

How much are we talking?
Old 12th February 2020, 15:59

Mood
Balanced

It will be a good day for those on the spectrum when getting assessed quickly is not dependent , for many, on going down the private route
Old 12th February 2020, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl
How much are we talking?
GBP 1000 - this seems to be a ballpark average for these things, from what I have seen.
Old 12th February 2020, 17:45

Mood
Cynical

^
Old 12th February 2020, 18:03

^^Thanks. Ah yes, I thought so. Actually I thought it was £800, but I can't remember if that was for autism or ADHD. It's not money you find while cleaning your room, that's for sure.
That is not my only barrier. My dad will have to be involved and that will give him carte blanche to be difficult, so that is why I don't want to do it while I am living here. Hm.
Old 12th February 2020, 18:09

^ My father came with me to the interviews and answered the clinician's questions about my early childhood. And my sister answered the Relative's Questionnaire. Both were very helpful!

Sorry to read you think your father may not be entirely cooperative
Old 13th February 2020, 09:26

Mood
Balanced

My father lives in the States . I mentioned I was going for an assessment , and sent him some links . His verdict was that there was nothing about me that suggested I was on the spectrum. I didn't press him further .

My sister has suspected for years I'm dyspraxic , and gave me a high score for the RAADS. She provided a letter . Being 3 years and 7 months younger than me she could only provide info from when I was or so . My stepdaughter who has known me since just before her 10 birthday filled out a questionnaire .

It was decided that despite no early childhood info that the info there was strongly indicated that there were problems from a very young age .
Old 13th February 2020, 10:53

^ Especially if your sis is somewhat older than you she could provide some reliable testimony.
Old 13th February 2020, 14:59

My sister is younger than me. I think my dad may have to be involved, but it's interesting there's two of you that got diagnosed without parental input. Unfortunately everyone else who knew me well as a young child is long dead.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:57

Mood
Balanced

Received links to 2 surveys re Aphantasia via imagery lab at Sussex university .

https://www.syntoolkit.org/studies/f...imrose-3/start has a section that asks AQ (autism quotient) questions . Looks like they're looking at whether there is a link between aphantasia and the autism spectrum .
Old 14th February 2020, 17:27

I've got to stop vanity posting in this thread because I'm actually beginning to annoy myself now, let alone the rest of you, but I think I have ASD AND ADHD. It would explain a lot.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:21

Mood
Balanced

Something I struggle with, especially organising and planning and multi step tasks .
Old 15th March 2020, 20:12

Mood
Balanced

Webinar: Autism Diagnosis in Adulthood

In this recorded webinar, Vanessa Bal, Ph.D., talks about the presentation of autism in adults and how a diagnosis is determined. She also highlights some considerations that may influence whether an adult wants to pursue a formal diagnosis, including a brief discussion of post-diagnosis decisions. While the focus of this talk is on first-time diagnosis in adulthood, many elements of this discussion may be relevant to individuals diagnosed in childhood who are now navigating adult life.

https://sparkforautism.org/discover_...-in-adulthood/
Old 29th March 2020, 01:18

Mood
Sad

What's the word on your autism assessment Tubbs?
Old 29th March 2020, 01:18

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey

Something I struggle with, especially organising and planning and multi step tasks .
You and me both Firemonkey.
Old 7th April 2020, 03:51

As a lurker of recent times, this been a topic I've checked more than most. It's highly likely that I'm on the spectrum but there's a 1.5 year waiting list from pre-screening/ assessment to any potential full diagnosis. Now with the current health crisis on top of that I'll be surprised if it's within 2 years. Seems like such a low prior or underfunded area of the NHS, took self referrals and avoiding any typical way into the system to even get this far (so GP's, etc were a waste of time).

Chances are it's all ready ruined my life as the amount of discrimination that exists out there for being socially different is way too much. I can think of interviews, moments, etc now where that not knowing and acting 'weird' has cost me repeatedly. As there seems to be society assumption being 'smart' means it can't possibly be anything else but just being weird or lazy. Consequently no help or support is ever considered either. So even getting into a situation where can explain any of it to even start to improve is hopeless, as gaps on CV are viewed like crimes. Pandemic gonna make this even worse naturally.

My actual point though, thanks for the posts here as I doubt I would have pursued it (yet) without them and if anyone is lurking, learning and thinking about it as I was. The greater uncertainty I had was even worse and isolating, at least now I've had the words to be to talk to the few that even acknowledge my existence. Or make posts like this.
Old 7th April 2020, 13:17

Mood
Balanced

I post on an autism forum . There can be a disjoint between how someone comes across and their stated difficulties/ problems .There will be those who come across well but function badly , and those who are the opposite .

As someone said there can be a highly articulate and intelligent poster, but that person will state their difficulties with things a child can do .

If this can be a source of puzzlement even on such a forum , one can only imagine the incredulity of large swathes of the general public .
Old 9th April 2020, 17:40

Mood
Tired

I've been feeling worse about myself at work,
I was fine when I was mainly working on my own,
Now I've been thrown into an office environment every day and I've noticed that I'm ignored by everyone, which is understandable, but also a bit upsetting,
When people did once try and make conversation I could often by caught unawares and not respond well,
Now, they've collectively gave up and I'm now consigned to "that weird guy who doesn't communicate"

What is annoying is that from my side everything seems normal, and I'm just amazed at how much people feel the need to sit around talking about random things, or themselves all day, I mean it's verging on insubordination or dereliction of duty,..
How can people be getting paid to just be casually chatting about their lives all the time,

Give me a bunch of people on the spectrum any day if you want a job done.
Old 10th April 2020, 06:51

Mood
Balanced

The Strange Mind of a Half Bright, Half Not-So-Bright Person

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...AxXMo8vJ3GrhI4

About non-verbal learning disorder which some say should be on the autism spectrum .

World genius directory

First 2%
Second 99.93%
Old 11th April 2020, 01:36

Mood
Balanced

Some snippets re 'adaptive functioning'

Quote:
Results also demonstrate that older age, higher IQ and higher social-communication
symptoms are associated with greater IQ-adaptive functioning discrepancy scores. By contrast, sensory ASD symptoms,
repetitive and restricted behaviors, as well as symptoms of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety and
depression, were not associated with adaptive functioning or IQ-adaptive functioning discrepancy scores.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30741482/

Quote:
Generally, adaptive skills track with IQ. Someone with average IQ would be expected to have average adaptive skills. However, in autism, researchers have found that adaptive skills may lag behind IQ, sometimes far behind.

Problems with daily living skills "may be especially prominent in those with higher cognitive abilities" and autism, according to a study by Dr. Duncan and others.4 That study included 417 adolescents with ASD in the Simons Simplex Collection research project. Half of them had daily living skills that were "significantly below" expectations for someone of their age and IQ. About a fourth of them had adaptive skills similar to people with mild to moderate intellectual disability, even though their IQ scores were much higher.

That disconnect between IQ and adaptive skills may be frustrating for some with ASD. Other people may not understand why someone with his or her "book smarts" struggles with seemingly easier skills, such as personal hygiene, asking for help, or getting places on time.

Often IQ is used to separate "low-functioning autism" from "high-functioning autism,"5 but those labels can be crude. Someone with intellectual disability – and good adaptive skills – may hold down a job and function at a higher level than someone with an average IQ who does not work or leave his home, says Dr. Peter Gerhardt, a behavior expert.6
https://iancommunity.org/ssc/measuring-iq-autism

I get quite a lot of support from my stepdaughter . The only practical skill I'm fairly good at is money management. I can have months when I'm more impulsive , but never to the extent I have a heap of debt. Credit and debit card spending is paid off fully each month by direct debit.
Old 11th April 2020, 16:26

Quote:
That disconnect between IQ and adaptive skills may be frustrating for some with ASD. Other people may not understand why someone with his or her "book smarts" struggles with seemingly easier skills, such as personal hygiene, asking for help, or getting places on time.
I read the links in more detail but think you picked up on a very relatable point there. Specifically if I look at them three points for myself, reasonable hygiene, wouldn't know how to and when I have its been pointless regarding help. The last, I arrive when I arrive, never been able to relate to if I'm an early/ late person, as I'm neither. I was told I have learned many coping mechanisms (in my screening) so this probably makes me functional enough for myself but not enough to avoid judgement and rejection by others. Which is the real frustration, trying to figure that part out for any success.

As an estimate I'd think my IQ would be in the 125-135 range, but getting something accurate isn't worth the cost (figure I gave would be based on free ones from curiosity). It's just a number that isn't needed, as it wouldn't tell me anything I didn't all ready know about myself.
Old 12th April 2020, 04:49

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golz
As an estimate I'd think my IQ would be in the 125-135 range, but getting something accurate isn't worth the cost (figure I gave would be based on free ones from curiosity). It's just a number that isn't needed, as it wouldn't tell me anything I didn't all ready know about myself.

I got in with this verbal test.

My non-verbal intelligence is similar to that of the woman in the NVLD article. .
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:40

Can someone potentially have Aspergers even if he/she reads social situations, face expressions, body language and tone of voice very well? One of the criteria for Aspergers is being poor at reading social situations, social cues etc.

The thing is I'm really good at this but I've noticed that for me it's harder to compose smooth and fluent sentences spontaneously when speaking. Could this indicate a mild form of Aspergers/Autism?