SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st August 2011, 10:53

Mood
Thinking

Default Hey guys - I'm a teacher with SA

Hello!

I'm a primary school teacher with social anxiety. About a year ago, my SA was really bad. I threw myself into work and had pretty much accepted that I would never feel comfortable in the presence of another human being ever again.

That was then. In the last few months, I've used a number of different strategies, read a lot of books and listened to a lot of self-help. I start school again on monday and it will be my first full year in a school. I am 100% committed to transforming myself into a social butterfly by July 2012: so I have a whole year.

I started a blog a couple of days ago - http://littlemissteacherlady.wordpress.com/ - Whenever I can cram in some blogging outside of lesson planning and book marking, I will be keeping the blog world updated as to what I'm doing and trying.

If someone had told me a year ago that I could feel this confident in my ability to rid myself of social anxiety, I would not have believed them. I've still got a long with to go, but I feel at least 50% better about myself than I used to do, and 50% better about my ability to cope with social situations. If I can help just one person who reads my blog and tries one of the things I try, I'll be over the moon.

Lots of love to the SA community xxx
Old 31st August 2011, 12:35

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Hey guys - I'm a teacher with SA

Hi Welcome to the site
Old 31st August 2011, 12:37

Welcome to the site!
Old 31st August 2011, 13:12

ello
Old 31st August 2011, 15:00

Mood
Angry

Hello and Welcome
Just read Outing Myself To The Blog World - A Teacher With Anxiety.
It truly hit the nail on the head with me. You basically described my sa symptoms.
I admire your honesty and frankness.
Cant wait to read the rest of your blog.
You are a fantastic writer Littlemissteacherlady, would you consider writing novels in the future??
I wish you well on your quest :0)
Old 31st August 2011, 16:15

Mood
Thinking

angeleyes1978 - that's absolutely lovely of you to say. I'm sat planning lessons and feeling sorry for myself, and what you said just cheered me up again!

I think the problem with SA is that you compare yourself to outgoing confident people all of the time. I think in teaching especially, I found that most people around me were a LOT more confident than me - or maybe that was all in my head! I love reading the comments on here because it's just so nice to realise you're not alone. In actual fact, I think most people go through life being held back my lack of confidence in themselves...but of course we never compare ourselves to them do we?! Ahhh... people are funny.

Since being about 5 it's been my dream to be a writer. Now I'm teaching though I just never get time. Starting my blog is step 1. Down the line, I'd absolutely love to be a writer. Dream job! xxx
Old 31st August 2011, 17:22

Hey Littlemissteacherlady , welcome .

I'm hoping to become a primary school teacher, but with my SA I highly doubt that will it will happen. However you have proved that it can be done, there is some hope for me yet.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:32

Mood
Thinking

MrAnxiety - you CAN do it! It's a lovely job and they're crying out for male teachers so you'd be in demand! xx
Old 31st August 2011, 18:36

Welcome to the site
Old 31st August 2011, 20:18

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old 31st August 2011, 20:36

Hi
Old 31st August 2011, 21:03

Mood
Angelic

wow -you seem to be a total inspiration!! My dream was to be a teacher but figured how could a person with sa ever be a teacher?? I have not read all of your blog but what I have read has made this dream somewhat of a possibility. Just wondering how you got to the stage though, i.e when I have looked at the application process there is interview, demonstration after full exposure? Tips pweyty pwease!
Old 1st September 2011, 00:39

Mood
Happy

Hi and wishing you great success. May I give you 10 out of 10 and 5 gold stars!!!!
What kind of stuff do like writing. I have a book, a satire called The Movement of Backward Walking two thirds written.
Best wishes - you're going to do just great.

Peter
Old 1st September 2011, 10:49

Mood
Thinking

peterjohn thank you! I've never really stuck at writing anything for long enough to know what I'd like to write. That's fantastic that you're two thirds through a book. I did a creative writing course a few years ago online, and I really got into writing poetry. Shocked me - I thought I hated it! I wouldn't mind writing kids books maybe.

jessicamary - when I went for the interview, I was entirely focused on the goal. Part of me thought, if I look like a fool, who cares, because if I don't get on the course I'll never see these people again. Another part thought, you would make a step towards achieving your dream! I didn't have to stand up and speak in front of anyone, but it was a formal interview situation. The really scary stuff came once I got on!

To be honest, my SA only really took hold in the summer months after I'd got on the course, and really once I'd started. When I remember myself then, which is where I'm trying to get back to now and hopefully get ahead of, I just had a really cheerful attitude. When life crapped on me, I laughed about it. I had a boring job that I wanted to escape, but I was popular there, I liked people, I felt good about myself. I remember I actually enjoyed the competition! And I remember, that everyone was nervous - so rather than worrying like a crazy woman about how I looked, how nervous I was...I thought about how I could make the other people at the interview feel comfortable. It's actually crazing when I write this- remembering the person I really am - and thinking about how bad I've been at points where any form of social interaction makes me want to curl up in a corner and cry.

Oh - and I REALLY prepared. I mean, I went to town on learning everything I needed to know, answering every question and writing down the answer before my actual interview. The interviewer doesn't care if you're nervous - especially not if you show you want to teach enough to have learnt about it beforehand and really prepared. I remember I'd also just read Paul Mckenna, 'Change your life in 7 days' and I was listening to the accompanying hypnotic CD to get myself to a reasonable state of confidence for the interview. I was one of 20 who got on the course out of 300 applicants!!!! - Can't believe that even now! Just goes to show you can do anything if you really set your mind to it. Go for it! xxx
Old 6th September 2011, 03:16

Hi LittleMissTeacherLady I admire your courage! You have certainly put yourself in the deep end choosing such a career. I drive a taxi cab which is not easy with my social anxiety but in a lot of ways I enjoy it, funny huh? Mind you I do not enjoy the emotional roller coaster my anxiety response puts me under. Sometimes I take Kava capsules which help. I also do point tapping as per EFT and TFT. I am currently exploring PSTEC - bit.ly/heal4free as well as Burt Goldman's Quantum Jumping. I am also a Deeksha giver and regularly attend gatherings for that. Put on the whole armour of God I say xxxx
P.S. Love Mr Anxiety's outfit!
Old 7th September 2011, 01:23

Mood
Insomnious

Congratulations on overcoming your fears and succeeding in the field of teaching. And thank you for sharing your experiences through your very well-written blog.

I, myself, tried teaching but failed miserably. I really enjoyed interacting with the children but I simply could not control the rowdy ones. One student told me that I was "too nice", and that I needed to be tougher. I guess it just wasn't in me.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:24

Hi ! and you are warmly welcomed amongst us fellow Social Anxiety sufferers.

Kindest Regards - Stevey

:-)
Old 10th September 2011, 09:55

Mood
Musical

Hey Littlemissteacherlady

Welcome to SAUK

Hope you enjoy and find this site useful
Old 10th September 2011, 13:49

Mood
Tired

Hi Littlemissteacherlady, I just wanted to add to the many welcome message you've received, I hope you really enjoy your stay here, it's a brilliant forum

Take Care x
Old 11th September 2011, 18:13

Welcome aboard, I am also new here.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:40
Banned at own request

Well done for doing your job, i hope your good at it.
How do you cope with sa being a teacher?
How did you train yourself to discipline your class?
Old 18th September 2011, 09:50

Mood
Sick

hi and welcome, I am applying to do my pgce in the coming year. am looking forward to reading your blog!

xx
Old 18th September 2011, 13:13

Mood
Crappy

welcome teacher lady- i look forward to reading your blog Hope ur well
Old 18th September 2011, 17:38

Mood
Happy

Welcome to the site. Thank you for your posts of great inspiration.
I absolutely believe that s.a. can be completely overcome. I've gone from many periods of long social isolation to having the kind of life I would wish for. I'm now strongly connected to a number of people, including two great friends from this site.
I applaud your great success so far and wish you great success for the future. May I say that you're a very impressive and wonderful person.
Thank you !

Peter
Old 18th September 2011, 19:00

Hi LittleMissTeacherLady,
I used to work in a secondary school, I found my SA getting completely out of hand but with time and techniques it did get better. Still don't think I could do it anymore, I would have probably had a heart attack by now!
Your blog looks really interesting, I will take a read!

Gibbs
Old 4th February 2012, 18:25

Mood
Crappy

I've worked in schools alongside teachers for all my working life (Fixing your interactive whiteboards lol) and I've found it helpful in a way as a technique of not being avoidant.

I definately spot a few teachers who I think may be either extremely shy of suffer from SA and I really do admire their courage! Really inspirational.
Old 4th February 2012, 19:18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemissteacherlady
angeleyes1978 - that's absolutely lovely of you to say. I'm sat planning lessons and feeling sorry for myself, and what you said just cheered me up again!

I think the problem with SA is that you compare yourself to outgoing confident people all of the time. I think in teaching especially, I found that most people around me were a LOT more confident than me - or maybe that was all in my head! I love reading the comments on here because it's just so nice to realise you're not alone. In actual fact, I think most people go through life being held back my lack of confidence in themselves...but of course we never compare ourselves to them do we?! Ahhh... people are funny.

Since being about 5 it's been my dream to be a writer. Now I'm teaching though I just never get time. Starting my blog is step 1. Down the line, I'd absolutely love to be a writer. Dream job! xxx
I taught elementary school for 10 years...never ever felt confident and as you say it just seems so easy for those around you............
Old 4th February 2012, 19:33

Mood
Sunshine

welcome, i'll look forward to reading your blog!
Old 4th February 2012, 19:50

Mood
Thinking

Hiya Little Miss Teacher lady!!
Old 5th February 2012, 17:01

Mood
Busy

Hey Littlemissteacherlady welcome to SAUK

I really admire your courage to teach which of course is a highly visible role but you are making a great effort to overcome obstacles and that puts a smile on my face Wish I had that courage but you have given me encouragement !!