SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st August 2010, 16:52

Default Stop living in your head?

Apologies if there's another thread like this, I remember seeing one a while back but couldn't find it.

Anyone have ideas on how to stop living in your head? For me limiting the amount of time I spend on the internet helps, as I use it to focus on things I probably shouldn't. But often I don't have that much to do in a day, and I end up spending too much time alone with my thoughts..
Old 31st August 2010, 17:02

Mood
Inspired

Default Re: Stop living in your head?

I've done the living in the head thing for 6-7 years. It's so easy to resort to it when bored or on the bus etc.

One thing I recommend is a hobby or just a project. I decided to do some programming and I find it helps. Instead of thinking of random junk, I'll try optimise my code or solve a problem.

If you were to do something that involved other people - not sure I'm ready for that yet - you would be killing two birds with one stone.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:57

Mood
Insomnious

Wish I could offer you some good advice but I've got very much the same problem. I've become so disconnected with reality at times and lived in my own little fantasy world that when I look back over the last 10-15 years I find it very difficult to distinguish them from each other at all.

As Dust in the Wind says, a hobby would be a good start - anything that keeps you busy is going to help but I find myself drifting away so easily that the effort it takes to concentrate on something as simple as reading is often just too much for me.

I don't think there's any real answer other than being strong willed and having the determination to break that pattern. There have been times when I think I'm starting to cut down on it but I always seem to slip back into old habits. Just got to keep plugging away, I reckon.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust In The Wind
you would be killing two birds with one stone
I've always found this phrase quite worrying!
Firstly, why would you want to kill a bird (or 2, for that matter) and secondly, why would you use a stone?
That just seems overly cruel and violent! What are you planning to do? Throw it from a distance, or grab the bird and then bludgeon it to death?

Sorry, am bored! And, just saw a fire ... which has nothing to do with anything!

I live in my head a lot! I imagine its practice for real-life situations etc., but a lot of it is stuff that is never likely to ever happen!
Old 1st September 2010, 11:49

Mood
Tired

You could practice attenton focusing, which I was told to practice for half an hour or so every day by my psychologist... Identify the various sounds in your environment (eg music, traffic, birdsong etc) and focus and give your full attention for a couple of minutes to each one in turn. The important thing however is that you shouldn't try to repress any thoughts going round in your head - just let them be but don't pay any attention to them. If you're distracted by your thoughts just consciously refocus your attention on whatever you were listening to....I try and practice this most days (eg sitting in the park listening to various sounds or perhaps listening to music and focusing on the individual instruments in turn). I think it's had some benefit - I know I can concentrate better now on books or films without my mind constantly wandering off onto other stuff
Old 8th September 2010, 21:15

Mood
Breezy

Maybe try keeping a diary or journal. The simple action of physically writing things down, or typing them onto a computer, is very therapeutic.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:12

Mood
Inspired

Quote:
Firstly, why would you want to kill a bird (or 2, for that matter) and secondly, why would you use a stone?
That just seems overly cruel and violent! What are you planning to do? Throw it from a distance, or grab the bird and then bludgeon it to death?
Just seen this.

From your reply I'm guessing you aren't aware of the their (the birds) evil plans for world domination.

Back on topic, if you don't feel like keeping a diary I find writing how you feel on a piece of paper and then shredding it can help. The shredding isn't necessary, I just like to erase any physical evidence of my thoughts.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:26

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortigantoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Moment
I think it's an Iranian saying.
That makes sense if it means to use a stone flung from a sling. I had a little Iraqi boy come up to me once and try to sell me a dead bird. Only it wasn't dead it was just stunned and it started moving. He was also holding a sling. God knows what he'd think I'd want to do with a little bird?? Must be a common way to hunt birds in that part of the world I guess. Another time some kids tried to sell me a mortar round
Old 15th September 2010, 00:13

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
That makes sense if it means to use a stone flung from a sling. I had a little Iraqi boy come up to me once and try to sell me a dead bird. Only it wasn't dead it was just stunned and it started moving. He was also holding a sling. God knows what he'd think I'd want to do with a little bird?? Must be a common way to hunt birds in that part of the world I guess. Another time some kids tried to sell me a mortar round
What on earth were you doing in Iraq, if you don't mind me asking? If you do then.... well that's just no fun.
Old 15th September 2010, 00:22

(OT)
I think I'm going to go to the park tomorrow and antagonise some swans. I've heard they can break a person's arm and - now that it's been pointed out to me - I'm so outraged by man's inhumanity to bird that I'm willing to take a hit on behalf of our species. You can thank me later.
(OT, sorry. As you can tell, I'm still more than happy to live inside my head.)
Old 15th September 2010, 13:05

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Ladder

Anyone have ideas on how to stop living in your head? ..
apologies if this comes across as a prejudiced post by some religious nut, but there was a guy called George Gurdjieff who gave a technique out to his pupils called "self-remembering" all it basically is is to try and "remember yourself" as much as possible, i.e. simply be aware of yourself in all sitautions, rather than let the situation ( and your thoughts ) drive you. I've tried it and can definately say that it really helps stop most of your unncessary and unhelpfull thoughts.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:56

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-1
What on earth were you doing in Iraq, if you don't mind me asking? If you do then.... well that's just no fun.
I was mobilised there when I was in the TA (2nd Gulf War). Kept getting local kids approaching our guard post trying to get dollars off us. The best one was a kid who would do 'Michael Jackson' for us. We used to chant 'Disco dance, disco dance!' at him and he'd break in to a routine. Once a guy tried to sell us his donkey, well we thought it was his
Closed Thread