Worried

Default E-bay

Go!
Old 25th July 2006, 18:37
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: E-bay

I've sold one dvd on there for £3, which wasn't bad as I got it for free. I'm thinking of selling something else, but I don't know if I can be bothered.

I've bought loads of crap off there.

ren
Old 25th July 2006, 18:57

Buy and sell.

If i am needing anything ebay is one of the first places i look
Old 25th July 2006, 18:57

I've done a bit of ticket touting on there. Not made much money though, most tickets don't go for much above face value. I think there are too many people doing it now.
Old 25th July 2006, 22:07

Mood
Torn

I thought ebay was a good thing at first but as time goes on I hate it more and more. Ive had so much trouble from it. People often sell you stuff that doesnt work properly, advertise it as first hand when it's second hand, and if you're a seller, ebay swallows most of the profit.
Old 25th July 2006, 22:13

I buy nearly everything I get off Ebay and Ive been selling bits and pieces for about 5 years.

Recently sold a load of Radio scanning equipment that I havent used for years, made over £200..then immediately took the money and bought a £180 metal detector..

My mate usually brings around all the unwanted graphic card/sound cards/headphones that he's collected and wasnt satisfied with and asks me to resell them :D
Old 25th July 2006, 22:55

God i love ebay just for buying stuff i cant be arsed with selling anything.

get all my xbox 360 games half price and they are always in excellent condition you cant go wrong.
Old 25th July 2006, 23:04
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Never used it in me life Am I missing much?
Old 25th July 2006, 23:55

Mood
Sleepy

Don't go there.....I did and I ended up buying a banjo, guitar, bass guitar, amplifier, two fax machines, 6 CRT monitors, 2 photocopiers, a record player that has only had one Cliff Richard record played on it in the year + that I've had it, a cliff richard record (from 1967), a dot matrix printer (WHYYYYYY?), binocular cameras, a megaphone, a camcorder, disco lights, a disco rope, guitar pedals, camera tripods, a rucksack, an overhead projector, a slide projector, a 15 drawer filing cabinet, 6 computers and a laptop. Nearly forgot....five or six tiny wireless CCTV cameras. All of these seemed good ideas at the time but now just take up space in my flat. 10 sets of computer speakers, 50 mains leads, several printer cables, several extension cables for printers, a phone, 624 non-league football programmes, I could go on.....and I probably will.
Old 26th July 2006, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy
I thought ebay was a good thing at first but as time goes on I hate it more and more. Ive had so much trouble from it. People often sell you stuff that doesnt work properly, advertise it as first hand when it's second hand, and if you're a seller, ebay swallows most of the profit.
I'm always careful not to sell anything thats got any sort of problem. I always give as much of a fair description as possible and use plently of photos (using photo-hosting site such as photobucket, saves a fortune! ) I sold an old Amiga monitor and used about 12 photos from all angles, showing it working with Amiga and even connected and working with an Xbox.

I've got a 256 rating with only 1 negative and that was only because of some dummy who selected the wrong option when he left feedback..

Ebay do rip sellers off though, especially on low price items, they take about 20-25% of the cut on these items. Still I suppose it beats humping stuff to a car boot and having to sell stuff for a few quid (or pence) at best :D
Old 26th July 2006, 03:36

Yes I use it, the last time was to buy my boyfriend the complete boxed set of the Father Ted series. I might make him give it back to me, I covet it.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:09

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhermit
I'm always careful not to sell anything thats got any sort of problem. I always give as much of a fair description as possible and use plently of photos (using photo-hosting site such as photobucket, saves a fortune! )
You're obviously one of the good sellers It's just a shame there are so many bad sellers and ebay often do nothing about it. I had to pay an extra 1.30 to collect my item from the post office once because the seller hadn't paid enough postage. Ebay did nothing.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:31

Quote:
I had to pay an extra 1.30 to collect my item from the post office once because the seller hadn't paid enough postage. Ebay did nothing.
They wont do unless its an issue that'll end up getting them bad publicity, e.g...people auctioning the Free Live Aid II tickets for hundreds of pounds or last week someone trying to sell the Italian magazine with the Diana death photos in. They soon get their finger out and start pulling auctions when the bad stories appear in newspapers.

The change in postal rates for larger items will be bad for selling on Ebay, its easy to calcalate costs now, but bigger packages like books etc. will have to be taken to the post office to obtain the exact cost. Not much use if youre selling something and the potential buyer wants to know what the postal charge will be beforehand!
Old 26th July 2006, 11:03

Never used it.
Old 26th July 2006, 12:32

Mood
Torn

I remember I was trying to sell a DVD of I Spit On Your Grave on ebay and they removed it for some silly reasons, yet it was the cut version you can pick up in the likes of HMV or Virgin. Other people were selling it on ebay too. Infact I bet it's on there right now.
Old 26th July 2006, 12:35

Mood
Dreaming

I buy stuff from Ebay. So much cheaper.

I would sell things, but it's too much stress. Paying to put it up, worrying it won't sell (or won't sell for much), going to the post office, sorting out shipment, waiting in queues, talking to the postoffice person. ARGH!
Old 26th July 2006, 12:36

Quote:
Infact I bet it's on there right now.
Clever marketing ploy. Get everyone to go and see if its there and maybe someone will buy it from you
Old 26th July 2006, 12:38

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez

I would sell things, but it's too much stress. Paying to put it up, worrying it won't sell (or won't see for much), going to the post office, sorting out shipment, waiting in queues, talking to the postoffice person. ARGH!
That's EXACTLY why I don't sell anything on Ebay. Otherwise I'd be able to get rid of tons of junk........that I've bought off Ebay.
Old 26th July 2006, 12:38

Mood
Torn

I'm not selling it. I was told that if I put it on again, my account could be suspended. Yet others are allowed to sell it.
Old 26th July 2006, 13:04

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteme
I've sold close to 200 things on eBay and I still hate going to the Post Office. Hate it. In fact, I've got to go again today
I hate it too. That's why I will now only sell if it's really worth it. I'm not gonna traipse to the post iffice for the sake of a few pound, which is often what I'm left with after ebay and paypal take their cut.
Old 26th July 2006, 13:07

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez

I would sell things, but it's too much stress. Paying to put it up, worrying it won't sell (or won't sell for much), going to the post office, sorting out shipment, waiting in queues, talking to the postoffice person. ARGH!
This is what i'm worrying about.

I made the poll just to see how many sa-ers could use it..

I can't get down the post office often..Think i'll just start off slow selling as few items as poss lol..
Old 26th July 2006, 13:46

I sold a bunch of junk on ebay and made a little profit a few years ago. Too much effort!

Then my boyfriend found an old router in a skip and made an even bigger profit! *jealous*

Moral: find stuff in skips and sell on ebay for a living. It works. Unless you hate the Royal Mail.
Old 26th July 2006, 15:39

Mood
Energetic

Used to sell paintings on there and right now i'm selling some PSP stuff i got from china (posted a couple of high capacity battery/chargers on my lunch break). I plan to sell some paintings on there again soon.
Old 26th July 2006, 15:44

Mood
Energetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Godfather
Yeah, I buy antique paintings off there.

And I'll start selling them on there to.

So many bloody fakes though!
I don't know anything about antique paintings, I only sell paintings that I paint.

Do antique paintings make much money?
Old 26th July 2006, 15:47

Mood
Worried

I found my, what I thought was authentic, signed Courtney Love photo on ebay for half the price =(. I got it from a shop in Bury st edmunds and got a certificate but there it is..On ebay.. Half the price *sigh*..
Old 26th July 2006, 16:05

Mood
Notamused

I use ebay mostly to buy movie memorabilia, if you know your stuff and you are lucky you can get some amazing buys off it.
Old 26th July 2006, 17:46

Mood
Worried

I know of a book about antiques and collectables (if anyone's interested)..My mum gets them to find out if we have any little treasures in the house =p. Theyre called Millers Guide antiques and collectables.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...lance&n=266239
Old 26th July 2006, 20:52

I've bought car parts off ebay in the past but never sold anything. Have about 300 records gathering dust in the attic that could make a few quid, but not sure if I'm arsed with the whole shipping thing. Credit card's maxed out too, and you'd need it to set up a seller's account wouldn't you?
Old 26th July 2006, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by argetni
I've bought car parts off ebay in the past but never sold anything. Have about 300 records gathering dust in the attic that could make a few quid, but not sure if I'm arsed with the whole shipping thing. Credit card's maxed out too, and you'd need it to set up a seller's account wouldn't you?
No if youre already registered as a buyer with ebay you dont need to supply any credit card details to ebay again as a seller. You would need to supply bank account details and setup a standing order with them though, so any charges you owe for selling can be taken automatically by Ebay every month. Otherwise you can pay monthly with a cheque.

The same bank accounts details can be used with Paypal (owned by Ebay) so any money you make can be electronically transfered from your Paypal virtual account back to your real bank account. You also can transfer money into your virtual account from your bank account for making payments to other people..which would be handy if your credit card is maxed.
Old 26th July 2006, 23:13

I love ebay bought and sold stuff , got rid of all my old car parts which had been in the shed for up to 15 years some for more than they were worth.
Closed Thread